3Rd Gen Voltage Output

Hi folks,

Can I get someone to check the running voltage at the battery of their 3rd gen with the mosfet R/R - idle up to 3000 or 4000 RPM, please? I just put my replacement mosfet R/R in and am getting 13.80-13.85 volts at any and all RPM's.

On the face of it that should be fine as the normal voltage of the AGM battery is 12.8 anyway. However, if I were to put in a LiFePo4 battery that won't be enough. They require 14.2 charging voltage. I do get that and a bit more with the original R/R. I keep asking myself why I changed it to get less output. Mind you, it is exceptionally stable voltage at all RPM's where the original R/R allows more variance depending on revs.

Thanks,

Glenn

• Member Contributer

I don't have a MOSFET reg/rec on my FP, but the spec is 13.5v - 16v @ 5,000 rpm, so your reg/rec seems like its working.

Ciao,

My RR voltage is anywhere from 13.5-13.8 on my 92 VFR. A little on the low side. I have an OEM RR with heavier gauge stator wiring and a ground directly to the battery. Was thinking about upgrading to a Mosfet RR.

Roger

Thanks vfracer750. Yeah, same as mine is now with the mosfet R/R, but mine is oddly 14.4 with the original R/R. Still, I think it will be perfectly fine (yours, too) since it is still a full volt above the resting voltage of a good AGM battery. I just don't think it is enough for the LiFePo4 batteries if I chose to go with one of those next time. They need 14.2 volts.

Cheers,

Glenn

I don't have a MOSFET reg/rec on my FP, but the spec is 13.5v - 16v @ 5,000 rpm, so your reg/rec seems like its working.

Ciao,

16 volts might be TOO MUCH. :comp13:

• Member Contributer

Ciao,

16 volts might be TOO MUCH. :comp13:

It might be, but it is the Honda spec...

Ciao,

Archived