Wheel Bearings

cjb1019

Hey everyone, just a heads up for the all weather/high mileage 8th gen guys out there:

Approaching the 16000 mile mark, recently noticed a strange feeling through the bars, took it into the dealer for inspection and it turns out the right side front wheel bearing is, for lack of a better word, f[censored]d. Honda have accepted a warranty claim, so will be getting it replaced early next week when the parts come in.

Might just be a one-off problem with my bike, but I thought I'd post just to make other owners aware.

Anything to do with our lousy weather and heavily salted roads? As a matter of interest have you checked your brakes? i have noticed a pitting of the brake pistons, to be checked at next service.

With your mileage you may have started to notice these things before the rest of us, any other high mileage people out there with tales to tell?

Very possibly weather related, but could have just been a faulty part which took a little while to fail.

Regarding brakes, see here: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/80444-brake-piston-damage-gen-8/

I had both calipers replaced under warranty earlier this year. We'll see how the new ones look after this winter...

• 1 year later...

Ok, so an update on this...

Had the original wheel bearings replaced in late 2015 (and they had completely failed)

Shortly after that, discovered the head bearings were also completely shot. Had them replaced in spring 2016.

Now I'm having repair work done after a minor accident a few weeks ago - no injuries, just some damage to the plastics - Anyway I get a call from the repairers, and they say they've noticed that one of front wheel bearings is quite worn, and there's a noteable notchiness in the head bearings!

Has anyone else had any bearing issues, or have I really been that unlucky with these damb bearings?!

Cheers.

4 hours ago, cjb1019 said:

Ok, so an update on this...

Had the original wheel bearings replaced in late 2015 (and they had completely failed)

Shortly after that, discovered the head bearings were also completely shot. Had them replaced in spring 2016.

Now I'm having repair work done after a minor accident a few weeks ago - no injuries, just some damage to the plastics - Anyway I get a call from the repairers, and they say they've noticed that one of front wheel bearings is quite worn, and there's a noteable notchiness in the head bearings!

Has anyone else had any bearing issues, or have I really been that unlucky with these damb bearings?!

Cheers.

what kind of weather do you ride in? do you pressure wash your bike?

18 hours ago, camaroguy72 said:

what kind of weather do you ride in? do you pressure wash your bike?

All year round, every day, in all weathers. Never pressure washed, but cleaned fairly regularly. Also given a coat of acf50 throughout winter.

Looks like I'll just have to see if I convince the dealer that the parts were shoddy...

Archived