Single Nut Axle + Cush Drive, Group Buy ?

Mohawk

Question

• Member Contributer

Hi All,

Many have been impressed with the Single NUT conversion that I did to my bike & as copied by HighsideNZ see this thread for details;-

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/81706-single-nut-rear-axle-conversion-6th-gen/?hl=%2Bcush+%2Bdrive

This was done using a slightly modified VFR/RVF400 rear axle, but requires a new cush drive because the axle is not long enough to reuse the 800's cush drive.

This modification reduces unsprung weight at the end of the swingarm by 3-4Kg depending on what components you fit.

I now have a contact willing to make these for anyone that would like the single nut look.

There will be 3 options as below. These will fit all VFR800 rear hubs, 5th, 6th & 8th gen. May also fit CB1000R, but that needs to be confirmed !

Option 1 - Modified VFR/RVF400 axle + Cush drive, axle finish = bright zinc plated.

This is the same as mine & retains the Honda internal bolt setup. See thread above for details

Option 2 - New manufacture Steel Axle + Cush drive, axle finish = bright zinc plated.

This a is a BIG NUT axle, NO inner bolt.

See attached picture of an alloy axle, will be the same as this but in steel.

Option 3 - New manufacture 7075-T6 Alloy Axle + Cush drive, axle finish = Hard anodized in the colour of your choice.

This a is a BIG NUT axle, NO inner bolt.

See attached picture of an alloy axle, Stainless steel sleeve fitted for the main bearing race (pic 3).

(We Suggest these are restricted to Track/Race bike or those with serious weight reductions & NO passengers, but its your choice !) Alloy axle reduces weight by an extra 1.5Kg.

The Cush drive QD carrier & any alloy components can be anodized in the colour of your choice, regardless which axle you choose.

These axles will NOT work with 5th/6th Gen VFR800 rear axle/brake components, (8th gen needs more research, might just need a new caliper hanger) see below;-

YOU will need to provide the following additional parts;-

1. A rear disc (VFR/RVF400 part, many available new or secondhand via Ebay)

2. A rear caliper (VFR/RVF400 part, or Brembo 84mm mount, using Tyga hanger, may need modifying)

3. QD Carrier sprocket.

4. A 17" single NUT rear wheel (RC30/45 available from many sources)

We may be able to assist with these additional components, but you will be responsible for any Brake delink or modification to the braking system to accomodate the new components.

Exact cost will depend on how many units we need to make.

Please respond if you are SERIOUSLY interested in these & specify which option you would prefer. We will then respond with a cost based on volume.

post-24524-0-68996600-1448221717.jpg

post-24524-0-34375300-1448221833.jpg

post-24524-0-57361700-1448221855.jpg

Once I have firm costs I'll undate this post, but we are looking for at least 5 for any axle option.

Watch this space.

• Member Contributer

Cool stuff Mohawk! For the rear caliper, suggest targeting the 8th, since it will be easily available.

- I have been tempted to buy the brake plate and caliper and try it on my 5th gen.

• Member Contributer

Mohawk, as long as its not outrageously expensive I'm in for option 2. Would love to try #3 but I sometimes have a passenger and potholes are an issue around here.

Between this and the Tyga header I might be spending some $$ on the Viffer. Which is ok, she deserves it :)

• Member Contributer

Stryker, Not sure on 4th gen, as I have never stripped a 4th gen hub ! I'm sure we could make it fit, but that would be an expansion option. I'll start some research for the 4th gen. The guy already makes these for the 400's so the tooling is the same apart from a 2mm shave on the left bearing face for the 800 which is a simple change.

CR, yep that is an alternative option, but not exactly DIY as in bolt on and it does have its own machining requirements

• Member Contributer

should be good to go on a 4th gen. I have one of those axles and will test fit this week to be sure, but since the stock vfr400 spindle works in a 4th gen it should be all good.

• Member Contributer

should be good to go on a 4th gen. I have one of those axles and will test fit this week to be sure, but since the stock vfr400 spindle works in a 4th gen it should be all good.

Cool just saved me a load of research. When you confirm if you could let me know that would be a big plus :)

• Member Contributer

4. A 17" single NUT rear wheel (RC30/45 available from many sources)

Really ? please do tell where to get rc30/45 rears. Seem kinda hard to get these days.

This would make use of the Ducati cush drive?

Color me interested, depending on price, for option 2.

Ok, looks like it does...

Next question, what will it take to fit a Duc or Triumph wheel instead of the ancient heavy RC wheel?

• Member Contributer

Next question, what will it take to fit a Duc or Triumph wheel instead of the ancient heavy RC wheel?

The Duc offset is off by a couple mm, so a spacer on the hub face is required. The Duc wheel, small hole ones not 1098 etc, need the bore opened by a mm or 2 as well. Full spec not handy, but have them somewhere.....

I was really hoping for a Ducati rear wheel option, as the forged 1098s wheels are relatively affordable and abundant, but at any rate, if we are talking dropping weight and complexity (1 piston caliper?) at a realistic price, I am in.

• Member Contributer

+1 ???

• Member Contributer

For some reason I can't paste a link, but if you go to page 2 of my Winter Project thread, I detail what it takes to fit a Duc wheel on an RC30, Bore the wheel, and two spacers, one between the hub and wheel, one between the nut and wheel. Probably should have some new longer spikes made too, I thought about getting some made, so if this moves forward, I might be in for longer spikes.

• Member Contributer

The 4th gen can have a duc or triumph rear swap. MrMatt has a thread using a monster wheel. I started a project on using an 848 wheel. The parts I found needed to be machined were a spacer for the wheel, longer drive pins to compensate for the spacer, and machining a triumph axle down to match the ducati axle for the wheel side. Brakes stuff isn't entirely sorted yet, so not a 100% complete solution detailed.

I'd ask your friend if he was interested in making the axles for the 4th gen ducati/triumph conversion. For all I know, a triumph axle with triumph wheel is nearly a bolt-on. But for a ducati wheel, axle needs modification.

If it's about dropping weight, go with Ducati 1098S wheel. Readily available. And very, very light.

It would also mean that if you couldn't find an OEM Ducati wheel, any aftermarket manufacturer makes them- trying to snag a lightweight wheel for an older Honda would probably be a fair bit harder.

I had my rear wheel fitted by extreme creations because I thought he'd have to make parts like Mohawk is offering. Turns out it was a only a shim and spacer- and lots of second hand duke parts.

Only works with the big axle of teh 1098, not the smaller axle of the 848.

• Member Contributer

I believe the 1098 wheels are 6" wide (?) so would need a 190 tire. The small hole 848/Hyper/Monster wheels are 5.5" (180 tire), and forged/BST/Oz/etc are also available for them.

6" with a 190/55 works a treat on my 5th gen.

Although, since I already have a single nut (just call me lance) my opinion doesn't really count in this thread.

• Member Contributer

All manufactures employ some sort of cush drive designed to reduce shock and wear on the chain and
sprockets... when I remove the cush drives on customers bikes they are happy to trade a little bit of extra chain
life for the extra feel of being more connected to the rear wheel contact patch not to mention lowering of
unsprung weight... it's like once to try a non cush drive bike like the RC30 or RC45 you'll never go back the
muted feel of an wiggly cush drive...

True to its racing intent the RC45 sports a solid drive...
gallery_3131_51_14811.jpg

The inherent play of a cush drive is why I machined Marv a new solid hub for his ZX7R...
CushDriveEliminator2_zpsltcrsguf.jpg

Tire choice...

The difference between a 180/55 and a 190/50 is profile and
diameter... the 180 is bigger in diameter and sharper in profile...
the change in geometry is as follows... going from a 190 to a 180
means rake is steepen and trail is shorten... whereas going from a 180
to a 190 means rake is extended and trail is added...

190/50/17=24.480 621mm

180/55/17=24.795 629mm

gallery_3131_51_11748.jpg

Mr.RC45 180/55/17 Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP on a 6" Marchesini

315048023_c2710a3b99_o.jpg

Archived