Single Nut Axle + Cush Drive, Group Buy ?

Mohawk

Question

• Member Contributer

Hi All,

Many have been impressed with the Single NUT conversion that I did to my bike & as copied by HighsideNZ see this thread for details;-

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/81706-single-nut-rear-axle-conversion-6th-gen/?hl=%2Bcush+%2Bdrive

This was done using a slightly modified VFR/RVF400 rear axle, but requires a new cush drive because the axle is not long enough to reuse the 800's cush drive.

This modification reduces unsprung weight at the end of the swingarm by 3-4Kg depending on what components you fit.

I now have a contact willing to make these for anyone that would like the single nut look.

There will be 3 options as below. These will fit all VFR800 rear hubs, 5th, 6th & 8th gen. May also fit CB1000R, but that needs to be confirmed !

Option 1 - Modified VFR/RVF400 axle + Cush drive, axle finish = bright zinc plated.

This is the same as mine & retains the Honda internal bolt setup. See thread above for details

Option 2 - New manufacture Steel Axle + Cush drive, axle finish = bright zinc plated.

This a is a BIG NUT axle, NO inner bolt.

See attached picture of an alloy axle, will be the same as this but in steel.

Option 3 - New manufacture 7075-T6 Alloy Axle + Cush drive, axle finish = Hard anodized in the colour of your choice.

This a is a BIG NUT axle, NO inner bolt.

See attached picture of an alloy axle, Stainless steel sleeve fitted for the main bearing race (pic 3).

(We Suggest these are restricted to Track/Race bike or those with serious weight reductions & NO passengers, but its your choice !) Alloy axle reduces weight by an extra 1.5Kg.

The Cush drive QD carrier & any alloy components can be anodized in the colour of your choice, regardless which axle you choose.

These axles will NOT work with 5th/6th Gen VFR800 rear axle/brake components, (8th gen needs more research, might just need a new caliper hanger) see below;-

YOU will need to provide the following additional parts;-

1. A rear disc (VFR/RVF400 part, many available new or secondhand via Ebay)

2. A rear caliper (VFR/RVF400 part, or Brembo 84mm mount, using Tyga hanger, may need modifying)

3. QD Carrier sprocket.

4. A 17" single NUT rear wheel (RC30/45 available from many sources)

We may be able to assist with these additional components, but you will be responsible for any Brake delink or modification to the braking system to accomodate the new components.

Exact cost will depend on how many units we need to make.

Please respond if you are SERIOUSLY interested in these & specify which option you would prefer. We will then respond with a cost based on volume.

post-24524-0-68996600-1448221717.jpg

post-24524-0-34375300-1448221833.jpg

post-24524-0-57361700-1448221855.jpg

Once I have firm costs I'll undate this post, but we are looking for at least 5 for any axle option.

Watch this space.

• Member Contributer

"The Duc offset is off by a couple mm, so a spacer on the hub face is required. The Duc wheel, small hole ones not 1098 etc, need the bore opened by a mm or 2 as well. Full spec not handy, but have them somewhere....."

When you say the Duc wheel is off by 2mm, in which direction ? I assume to the right if it needs a spacer. If so we may be able to accomodate that. Will need to know the full numbers, including the bore size. Are the drive lugs tha same PCD as the Honda ?

• Member Contributer

Re the cush drive, as Larry says, yes standard cush drives are sloppy. Mine with urethane bobbins, has no slop. So the best of both worlds ! For those interested in Ducati wheels I just found this for you.

"1098s wheels are forged aluminum and are the same wheels (without red pinstripe) as the 1098R (all black). They save about 4 lbs from stock 1098 cast aluminum wheels.

1198s wheels are forged aluminum. The total bike weight difference between the s and base is 4 lbs wet. Not sure about the wheels but I don't think it is as significant as the 1098/1098s 4 lbs. scenario (the 1198 base Einkei's are lighter than the 1098 base wheel).

I have a set of 1198s wheels being shipped currently, I'll weigh them and post it soon.

The Marchesini 10 spoke magnesium wheels are pictured at the bottom and weigh even less than the forged aluminum. Actual weight is Front: 6.04lbs, Rear: 7.76lbs.

Below is some more weights from Dan Kyle's website.

FRONT WHEELS NO DISCS
Blackstone carbon fiber 4.85 lbs
Dymag carbon fiber 5.6 lbs
Marchesini forged aluminum 8 lbs"

From this thread http://www.ducati.org/forums/1098-1198/16488-wheel-weight-differences.html

The 4th gen can have a duc or triumph rear swap. MrMatt has a thread using a monster wheel. I started a project on using an 848 wheel. The parts I found needed to be machined were a spacer for the wheel, longer drive pins to compensate for the spacer, and machining a triumph axle down to match the ducati axle for the wheel side. Brakes stuff isn't entirely sorted yet, so not a 100% complete solution detailed.

I'd ask your friend if he was interested in making the axles for the 4th gen ducati/triumph conversion. For all I know, a triumph axle with triumph wheel is nearly a bolt-on. But for a ducati wheel, axle needs modification.

I don't want to take this too far o/t, but then again there is interest from 4th Gen owners... Yoshi, with yours, did you use a Triumph eccentric/spindle assembly? Or just Triumph spindle into VFR eccentric?

• Member Contributer

I'm going to use the triumph eccentric, but it might not make a difference which way you go. I got an entire swingarm for $40 shipped with all the stuff on it. Check out where I left off. I put up all of the dimensions I took.

The ducati wheel needs to be spaced out from the mating face. So you put a spacer between axle and wheel. Which is why I opted to have longer drive pins made for the axle.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/72013-triumph-eccentric-swap-pic-heavy-not-complete/

Finals are in two weeks. So I am hoping to have the axle machined and everything minus brake items bolted up to a swingarm by christmas.

• Member Contributer

Below is some more weights from Dan Kyle's website.

FRONT WHEELS NO DISCS

Blackstone carbon fiber 4.85 lbs

Dymag carbon fiber 5.6 lbs

Marchesini forged aluminum 8 lbs"

From this thread http://www.ducati.org/forums/1098-1198/16488-wheel-weight-differences.html

Addition to the front list...

Marchesini 3 spoke magnesium 6.0 lbs

I can't remember weights, but even the cast, not forged 848 front wheel (same spoke pattern as 1098) is much, much lighter than the OEM Vfr front wheel.

Even if you can only find a 1098 wheel, not 1098 s, I reckon you'd still be saving weight.

How's this coming along Mohawk? I am very interested in the aluminium axle to take an RC45 rear wheel as I happen to have a spare one I'd like to use for this. Any progress to report?

One thing about the cush drive (or not). I never found the lack on the RC45 to be a problem so I'd opt for a direct fit and no cush drive. At least then nothing can come adrift in the middle of France eh. :wink:

But then I also want to look into a belt drive conversion for this, so I'll be knocking on Larry's door too. :biggrin:

Hi,

I have know got the axle inserts for converting the NC30/35 axle to a HRC single nut design. I have started a separate thread on this build. If anyone is interested in this.

I have asked Mohawk to "crash" his thread and he said It where okay to do.

link to my thread:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/82963-single-nut-conversion-vfr800-hrc-rc45-style-one-more/

Ah yes,  interesting as well, since the 8 spoke I haven't looked back at this myself it was on my list  to do as well.  Love these nudge threads.

My rear bearings are shot. I am at the point where I need to either buy new oem bearings or invest in a single nut set up....

What mileage are we talking here?

Sent fra min SM-N910F via Tapatalk

Archived