Which Heated Grips?

Skids

• Member Contributer

I have a set of Honda heated grips on my '08 6th Gen, fitted when I purchased the bike in '09 second-hand. They've stopped working and it's the RH grip that's broken and is taking the left down with it. I've just spoken with my local Honda main dealer and they are on back order with Honda, earliest date is.....wait for it.....Mar 16! And he said it will probably be later than that. WTF?!?!

So, as the 6th Gen is my winter commuter, I need to get an alternative set of heated grips and as there are quite a few out there, I thought I'd ask for any recommendations or avoids.

I realise that the majority of site members are from the US but most makes of heated grips are on sale both sides of the pond and there are plenty of members from Europe too so any advice gratefully received.

I have installed the heated pads on many bikes using the OEM grips.

You can get a cheap set with only on and off for under 10.00 shipped or a nice two setting with high and low set for under 20.00.

If you have the tools and wire, you can do the job in about a half hour.

Use an air hose to inflate the grip so it slides off.

The heated pad has adhesive on it and sticks to the bar.

Then hairspray the pad and slide the OEM grip back over the bar and the pad.

When the hairspray dries it will be there permanently.

• Member Contributer

I liked the Symtec heater kit when I had it. The round rocker switch was not waterproof and I had problems with it. I replaced it with a sturdier toggle switch with a rubber boot.

You can get Honda 360 heated grips off eBay for about £110. The various part numbers all refer to the same thing but with different sub harnesses. Got mine from dobles via eBay and wired then via an accessories harness rather than tapping into the loom via brake lever switch

• Member Contributer

I installed the Symtec kit last month. I haven't put too many miles on since, but the preliminary assessment is very satisfactory.

Sample UK source: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0055DN2OS

The biggest advantages of this approach are:

1. You can use most any grip you want

2. It's relatively inexpensive

The downside is that this is a very DIY approach. The kit will probably work out-of-the-box, but most people (myself included) seem to end up making a trip to the electronics store for supplemental wire and connectors.

I installed the Oxford Heaterz Premiun Touring Heated Grips on my 5th Gen. I routed them through a Denali PowerHub2 Power Distribution Wiring Harness Module.

So far they have worked without issue. I normally use them on the lowest or second lowest setting as the other settings are way too hot. Also, make sure you use enough of the appropriate glue when you install them or they will twist and turn on you when they heat up.

I like having heating grips on the bike, but honestly my hands still get cold. I plan to purchase heated gloves in the future. I think they will do a better job of keeping my whole hand warm.

• Member Contributer

I plan to purchase heated gloves in the future. I think they will do a better job of keeping my whole hand warm.

They do. I have a set of Keiss heated kit including gloves and they are the best solution for keeping hands warm.

But heated grips are more flexible, you can choose to turn them on or off whereas you have to be actually wearing the gloves to use them

Thanks all for the suggestions.

• Member Contributer

I have had Symtec grip heaters for over ten years on my VFR. They have never failed and work very well. After a cheaper alternative failed on my KLR after less than two years, I upgraded to Symtecs. Two heat settings are enough and the install is easy. For heaven's sake hook up a switched power source if you suffer from severe CRS like I do!!! I use a switched aux fuse box.

For extreme cold weather I also use a heated glove insert on my Wing but for all other conditions heated grips are a better alternative with no hassle.

gallery_2144_2760_1093730.jpg

I've installed the Oxford heated grips on mine about 12 months ago. Like Corkey - I found the higher settings to be too hot to handle. The lower settings work just great. They wire straight back to the battery - and contain a sensor that detects whether the bike is running or not - and will automatically turn off after a couple of minutes if it's off, saving the need for harnesses, relays, etc.

Can't complain about them. The only mistake I made was not putting glue on them. Thought they were tight enough, but when they warmed up, they slipped. Thankfully a mistake with a quick fix. :)

• Member Contributer

The Honda heated grips are showing as available at both CMS and bike-parts.fr. Although the individual grips are quite expensive, if you only need one, it might be worth it.

Ciao,

I'm on my second set of Oxford heated grips. The first pair were on the bike when I bought it, and were the best, with a rotary analog controller, so I could choose whatever temperature I wanted. Current ones have been on for a few years, were easy to install and are push button, with four heat settings, each with a different colour LED (blue, green, orange, red). It's a little tricky to consistently get the switch to work, especially with gloves on - the rotary knob was easier. Also, lately the left grip looks somewhat munted, like it's melted a bit. I think what's actually happened is the rubber has softened, and using the clutch lever has smooshed the rubber around a little. No biggie, but not that great. Another minus is the grips are fatter than the original ones, but I got used to them quickly.

As with all my electrical doodads, the grips are wired to my BlueSeas5025 fusebox under the seat.

I installed the new version of the Honda OEM grips from the VFR1200, new 800 etc onto my 5th Gen. Switch is built into the edge of the left grip, three levels of heat. Used an Eastern Beaver relay harness (I think) drawing power directly from the battery. I can dig out my research and purchase lists if you're interested.

• Member Contributer

I think I have the Symtec on our bikes. Definitely replace the switches with a more robust waterproof one.

I would very much think of using the Koso heated grips on another bike. They weren't terribly expensive, but they felt worlds better in the heat department compared to the DIY installs. when they demo-ed them at a MC show.

http://www.koso.com.tw/products-detail.php?id=105

• Member Contributer

Also vouch for Symtec and I did have trouble with the switch, however, took it apart and filled it with white lithium grease about three years ago, no trouble since.

I've a bunch of bikes, 3 of which I ride year 'round, I've always used heated gloves, wired thru a heated jacket liner, w/dual controls. It's the backs of our hands that are exposed to the wind and cold. The gloves take care of that problem very well.. Yes, the wires can be a PITA. Heated gloves, jackets pants and booties can all be had with independent battery power. Snow machine, cross country skiers, et. al. love them. Depending how active your cold weather life is it can be easy to amortize the cost over more than one sport. R3~

• Member Contributer

When you buy the Symtecs you can usually pick either the rocker or the toggle. You can put a rubber boot over the toggle to help with H2O. I have both switches and have not had a problem with either. If doing it again I would probably pick the toggle as it is easier to operate with gloves.

med_gallery_2144_2760_129915.jpg

• Member Contributer

You can use any controller/switch with any grips, pretty much. Honda ones are also available separately, if that appeals to you.

Ciao,

I got the Heat Demon external kit on my '99. Pro: Easy install, plenty hot, nice detail with the 4 settings switch that discreetly bolts on to the brake/clutch mount and looks half stock. I was scared off the Oxford because the control panel looks HUGE in pictures and is butt ugly. Cons: the button connector thingies (they probably have a proper name) are crap and the supplied wire gauge is not confidence inspiring. They claim the kit has all you need, I had to use some extra wire and other connectors as the supplied ones are utterly useless. Idk if they are pricy, compared to the options here in polarbearistan (Norway) they are a reasonable deal for what you get.

Make sure you read and understand the diagram before starting, just like I did not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived