Working On Becoming A Traitor To The 4Th Gen

V-FORE

• Member Contributer

After looking through Craigslist last weekend and seeing a 99 VFR close by and reasonable I took a drive out to look at it. She is in tatered clothing, seems to be dressed by a blind person....But she has fires right up % runs great, only 18k on her. When I went to see here the weather was miserable, snow mixed with rain, so I did not get a chance to take her for a spin, but the seller seemed to be a nice believable guy and reassures me that all is well he used her for his 20 mile each way commute. After I got home so many thought going through my head...do I need it, where will I keep her.... I have not been on two wheels since my commuter started running like crap, she has been in the shop for three weeks, I need to fix the brakes on my '94 they will not bleed out, so I am going to rebuilt the master just got the kit in) but winter has started and I am not motivated yet. Then I start reading up on the 5th gen, see this thread

Terry's Chinese Fairing Adventure

And then start looking at fairings on ebay and see this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Glossy-ABS-Fairing-VFR800-Kit-Fit-HONDA-VFR-800-1999-2000-1998-2001-36-A5-/271250632234?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Then of course in the mail a 0% interest for 1 year Offer so I think that it is meant to be, and I always thought that I would be going backwards to get another '82 V45 Sabre. I ran the Vin check on the bike . She started her life in Franklin, TN 6/11/99 then to Martin, GA 11/12/03 showing 2,012 miles, Atlanta, GA 4/7/04 with 4,954 on the clock, then onto Reno, NV up to 7,550 6/24/06, 12/13/07 up to 10,097. It was purchased and moved north to Washington on 6/9/09 then an accident 6/16/09. No more odometer #'s since in Washington anything over 10 years old is exempt. I got a copy of the accident report and tried to get info from the insurance company with no luck. I then googled the rider and found he is still in the area. I was able to contact him and had a pleasant conversation and found out that his ins gave him a good amount of $'s to put it back together then he sold the bike to someone else who wanted to fix it. I also found out that he still has 2 5th gens and he came off a fourth gen like I am so I was able to glean even more information. I found out it was a 20 mph lay down, when he was unable to stop, maybe locked the front wheel and went down. It seems as though the MBD Gods are trying to tell me to slide into a 5th gen. My plan it to pick up the bike this Sunday and take my time to get her back into shape and have a White 5th Gen to go with my White 4th Gen(at least for a while)

• Member Contributer

I don't think the 4th gen will mind a bit - just bringing another brother in to the fold. Sounds like another healthy case of multiple bike disorder. I've never met anyone yet that wants a cure!

We definitely need pics when it comes home!

• Member Contributer

Several years ago I bought a 4th gen track bike project from a member here. Long story short other things were more important so it's still unfinished. When my 5th gen broke last year I bought a high mileage, but well cared for 4th gen to ride while the 5th gen was apart thinking I'd roll it into the track bike project when the 5th gen was back together. Well the 5th gen was back together over a year ago, but I'm still riding the 4th gen as well. They compliment each other quite nicely. If I had to choose it would be the 5th gen, but the 4th is a very close second.

I LOVE my fifth Gen. But when riding my forth Gen...

The fifth does everything good. The forth does it GREAT!

I would love to have the linked brakes on the forth and that 750 motor just pulls harder than the 800.

There is no comparison to the lean angle. The forth can really get down low in the corners.

The fifth gen just starts dragging parts too soon.

When it comes to a ride through the mountains, I tend to jump on the forth and go.

My fifth seems to be used for friends to ride when they come up.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the insights :fing02: Having only ridden a 5th gen once for a little while I am looking forward to being able to have both :wheel: I am very attached to the 4th and since I only have about 5,500 miles to go until I have put 100k on her I have time to figure out which one I like better.I am going to take my time this winter and clear out alot of my 4th gen parts and get new fairings for the 5th and whatever else she needs. It came just in time. I figured that I just couldn't pass on this since the fairings are still being made!!

Go for it you will love it , my 2 cents ( yes I'm Aussie ). Before you do the cosmetics take her places you normally wouldn't , they handle surprisingly well on the road less travelled . Ive had two so far , they go forever . Spend money on suspension first leave the rest for a while . Enjoy .

• Member Contributer

Awesome Pin!

My new toy has come home

20151122 123732

20151122 123742

20151122 123723

20151122 124453

20151122 131147

She doesn't look like much right now, it seems as though PO had no idea, wrong windscreen, fairings missing most bolts/screws wrong ones put in..... It is going to take some work, but when shes done she will be like brand new. Rode her 25.6 miles home and she tracks fine now hands on bars @ 110 indicated and smooth as silk :tour: Looking forward to moving her to my storage unit next week and stripping her, ordering the new fairings/bolt kit and new chain/sprockets/oil change and some cleaning(which is something I am going to learn to do :dry: ) and yes only 18,613 miles :wheel:

• Member Contributer

Nice Gary. Enjoy. Never thought you were going to ride another gen VFR than the 4th gen... Now with Ian and Mike, you'll be the three Musketeers on 5th gens!!! Almost identical twins.

C

• Member Contributer

Nice Gary. Enjoy. Never thought you were going to ride another gen VFR than the 4th gen... Now with Ian and Mike, you'll be the three Musketeers on 5th gens!!! Almost identical twins.

C

Neither did I ....but this was a steal....I couldn't pass it up for $1,500 now add a 500 complete fairing kit and a 2 grand 18k 5th gen :beer: :beer: Plus I still have the 4th gen :wheel:

• Member Contributer

Someone gave me a 4th gen today!

attachicon.gifIMAG3073-800x452.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG3074-800x452.jpg

;-)

So, best thing about this one is that body parts will NOT be hard to find. And they won't crack... :tongue::wheel:

C

C

Neither did I ....but this was a steal....I couldn't pass it up for $1,500 now add a 500 complete fairing kit and a 2 grand 18k 5th gen :beer: :beer: Plus I still have the 4th gen :wheel:

So, just a few more years and you'll work your way up to a proper 6th gen... :tongue::wacko::goofy::wheel::wheel::wheel:

C

• Member Contributer

New bike, Title transferred, fairing ordered isn't MBD Great! My Commuter has been in the shop for over 3 weeks, it was running extremely rich and fouling itself out with no error codes. Turns out cam chain tensioner didn't tension and tore up the gear a bit good news is that Honda is covering it :cheerleader: so I should have my commuter back next week!

• Member Contributer

Oh. Bad news about the commuter. Will it happen again? Can you detect the problem faster next time? Would it be the flaw for that bike like the R/R and electrical in some VFRs?? Glad Honda is paying though.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived