If You Can't Beat 'em, Join 'em....

VcFR

• Member Contributer

Well, I've nagged on my husband (huntinggunns) about adding another bike to our collection for a while after I decided it was my turn to be the victim of that nasty disease, MBD. :idea3: If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, right? He bought me a 2007 RWB VFR, but I've never rode it. That bike was a bit too tall and needed lowered before I would be comfortable on it. Life got in the way and it was easier to find a bike that fit me from the start so he bought me my '09 FZ6 and put all of the TLC into it to make it work for me and I have loved that bike. The list of mod's done to it is too long to post, but it is light weight and lowered enough I can flat foot it no problem. I'm gonna keep it and use it for my commuter. So, this year he was talking about finally getting me on the RWB VFR, but I REALLY wanted a solid white one. After some sweet talking he surpirsed me with an early Christmas present by adding a new white Interceptor to our garage. I rode it home today even though it was a bit chilly and pretty windy. Just from the short ride today I can tell it is heavier than my FZ6 as the wind was easier to take. I definitely will have the seat done as it's about an inch too tall for my short self and the seat has plenty of room to be modified. I will be sending the seat to Seth Laam so he can perform his magic for me. The riding position is more forward than I'm used to and with my back issues we will be installing the factory risers on it. The risers in combination with the lowered seat will help move me to a more upright position. The factory hugger, center stand, and matching top case assembly is already ordered and on the way. I am looking at a fender eliminator (I thought I saw one on here that a member was making), power port, and a few other things. My biggest "problem" at the moment is deciding what color of accents I want to do. :blush2: (My FZ6 is black and hot pink). You know the cops in Arkansas look for "those black bikes", so I should be safe now. :cool: Looking forward to hanging out with the VFR crowd at the meets and not having to hear, "The least you could do is bring a VFR". :laugh:

post-23677-0-16446500-1447559416.jpg

post-23677-0-05696100-1447559514.jpg

post-23677-0-42013800-1447559602.jpg

post-23677-0-21167300-1447559696.jpg

post-23677-0-67587700-1447559786.jpg

• Member Contributer

Congratulations!! :beer:

Does Fred have a brother? :goofy:

There must be single females on this forum that would love a husband like that!!!

• Member Contributer

Congratulations!!

Does Fred have a brother? :goofy:

There must be single females on this forum that would love a husband like that!!!

He does have a brother, but trust me..... Fred is my unicorn, no one compares. the single ladies can pm me their resumes and I will pass them along.

Congrats! Isn't that something like 4 vfrs in the family?

Yes, this will be number four in the garage right now. We are trying to get rid of some, but these darn things multiply!

• Member Contributer

Nice! I'm trying to steer my wife toward the 8th gen as well. Really interested in how the bike fits you after the mods. Enjoy the new ride :wheel:

• Member Contributer

Congratulations - nice! Photos at delivery are a lot of fun. Looking forward to seeing that at the next VFRD meet! Keep us posted with more photos as you add mods.

Looks like the Standards are starting to sell, now that the prices are dropping so much (someone else got one for under $8k recently). I personally, wouldn't trade my Deluxe for a Standard no matter how good a deal it was, but that's just me. I do kind of wish I had waited a year, though...probably could have saved 2 to 3 grand.

Congrats and welcome to the VFR life.....again....sort of.

• Member Contributer

Looks like the Standards are starting to sell, now that the prices are dropping so much (someone else got one for under $8k recently). I personally, wouldn't trade my Deluxe for a Standard no matter how good a deal it was, but that's just me. I do kind of wish I had waited a year, though...probably could have saved 2 to 3 grand.

I didn't just get a standard because it was cheaper, but I didn't want the delux options. Well, the grip warmers would have been nice, but that's it.

• Member Contributer

As the one that is going to have to build this bike for her, I'll explain the reasoning behind purchasing the standard over the deluxe. Money was definitely not the reason.

(1) ABS and traction control has never been a deal breaker for us, most sensible riders will never use those systems.

(2) Those damn self cancelling turn signals are a pain in the a$$ if you ask me. They never seem to work like they should anyway.

(3) Heated grips, never used them so can't say if they would be worth the money or not.

(4) Center stand, already ordered and on the way.

(5) Adjustable front suspension. I have upgraded the suspension on most of the bikes I own myself for a whole lot cheaper and with better components than come on the deluxe version.

(6) White, no other color would do except white. Try and find a deluxe model in white.

So, if I missed any of the differences between the 2 bikes let me know. Lots of mods already on the list of things to do this winter. Don't let my wife know I said this but, crap, another bike to work on :sad2: .

• Member Contributer

• Member Contributer

Don't let my wife know I said this but, crap, another bike to work on :sad2: .

Too late to complain. ...;-) It's like a new challenge for you. You love me. :-)

You could just change your name to Snow White

And he would be grumpy? Lol

• Member Contributer

Don't let my wife know I said this but, crap, another bike to work on :sad2: .

Too late to complain. ...;-) It's like a new challenge for you. You love me. :-)

You could just change your name to Snow White

And he would be grumpy? Lol

OK, even from a husband's stand point, that was funny. WHY? WHY do we constantly throw ourselves in front of the train? :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Congratulations; Nice bike

I too bought the "base" model over the "Deluxe" for a lot of the same reasons. T/C & Antilock brakes never had them so don't know what I'm missing. Heated grips I'm in south Louisiana LOL. Center stand is at house waiting to be installed; Honda has them marked down enough I was able to purchase the accessory socket with the saving. And lastly the discounts on the base model was $1000 more than the Deluxe. Personal choice I just couldn't justify the extras for my needs.

Enjoy the new ride, I still can't get this ear to ear grin out my helmet,

Just bought a leftover 2014 Standard VFR for $7300. That's a whopping $6200 less than the original price for a Deluxe model. $6200 will buy a lot of farkles! About the only things I miss are the center stand and heated grips, but I can add those for less than $300. The standard suspension seems to work fine for me (5'9", 165 lbs). So far the VFR has totally exceeded my expectations - better than expected handling, nice and stable at extra-legal speeds, smooth and torquey over the entire power band, carries its weight really well. I'll probably raise the bars and lower the pegs a bit, but otherwise there's not much to improve upon. It is a bit of a mystery why these aren't more popular, but i suspect a lot has to do with current fashion trends - hardcore sport bikes for younger folks, adventure touring bikes for older folks, naked/standards for the budget-conscious-not-quite-sure-what-I-want folks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have it on good authority that Shawnee Honda will be receiving 2 hold over 2014 White Standard units this coming week. Price will be hard to beat. If my wife would have waited for a month or so I could have saved about 2 grand. :angry: Whatcha gonna do

Archived