Euro Turn Signal Control On Canadian 6G Vfr?

rhoderage

• Member Contributer

Hi folks -

While I understand the basics of wiring on the bike, I am not confident enough to pick through a wiring schematic to answer my question... so I pose it to you!

2002 VFR800 Canadian bike

My start button is half broken off, so I've been lazily watching eBAY for a replacement (just for looks, it functions fine).

I came across a pair of both the start/kill controls, and the signal/headlight controls in the UK. No mention of exactly what model year/country these controls off of, but the seller did note he bought them to replace the faded controls on his '03.

The start side looks identical (does NOT have the 4-way flasher button like some of the models seem to, mine doesn't), BUT on the turn signal control side, it does have the PASSING toggle switch to flick the headlights. My bike does NOT have this from stock... will this still plug right into my stock connectors and function?

post-25792-0-39805900-1447494285.jpg

Input greatly appreciated!

• Member Contributer

Possibly... Do you have the Haynes manual for this bike? They have the UK and US wiring diagrams in the back, so you could simply compare the wiring for the LHS switchpod and make any changes as necessary. I've installed passing switches on US-spec bikes before, but off-hand I cannot tell you anything other than it wasn't difficult. The Passing switch simply does the same thing as the Hi switch does, just momentarily, so it could require a short jumper wire or nothing at all. Good luck!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I think CBR controls are the same as the VFR stuff , These might be easier and cheaper to find . You may want to check with the local bike recycler or some of the bigger ones around .

• Member Contributer

Possibly... Do you have the Haynes manual for this bike? They have the UK and US wiring diagrams in the back, so you could simply compare the wiring for the LHS switchpod and make any changes as necessary. I've installed passing switches on US-spec bikes before, but off-hand I cannot tell you anything other than it wasn't difficult. The Passing switch simply does the same thing as the Hi switch does, just momentarily, so it could require a short jumper wire or nothing at all. Good luck!

Ciao,

Yes this was my thought as well, that the passing switch would most likely use the already-present highbeam toggle wiring, just in a shorter 'blip' to flick the beams. I assume then this piece will plug right in, but wondered if anyone knew for certain...

• Member Contributer

Adding a flash to pass toggle switch to the pod is pretty straightforward - just a second switch wired in parallel to the constant on switch inside the pod - either can complete the circuit to the high beam relay. It would make sense that the connectors on both types would be the same, as both would have just one output wire and that would save Honda from making 2 different wiring harnesses for various markets. If the switch were in hand it would be easy to check with a meter and visual inspection of the connector configuration. However, if Honda is anything like where I work, that would make too much sense and they'd pick some other way of doing it. I'm not sure there's much direct experience with this swap, so informed responses may be lacking. Maybe ask the seller for some close up photos of the connectors prior to deciding to purchase. Let us know how this works out!

136_bitesize_intermediate2_physics_subci

Archived