California Emissions Delete?

zx9vfr800

Just pick up 2000 yellow 5th gen, I had the same bike a few years back and it wasn't a California model. Noticed a tank on the front of the engine that wasn't on my old bike and was wondering if one can take that stuff off the bike, also noticed that the California model has a lot more weight on it, would like to make that go away.... Thanks for any input.....

• Member Contributer

First, Welcome Aboard! I think you can find quite a few post on the forum about losing weight and getting rid of the emissions crap. One that I'm sure you can get plenty of bites on doing a search is the PAIR removal.

A good way to reduce weight is to find an aftermarket can, the stock exhaust is a boat anchor. Ditching the center stand also sheds some weight too. If you can find them, headers off of a 98 VFR800 (cat-less) could also shed some lbs. You would have to also install some O2 resisters and/or a power commander, as the 98 headers do not have the O2 bungs.

• Member Contributer

Welcome and all that stuff can removed.

There are :

1. The line coming from the throttle bodies
2. The water drain line coming from the front bottom of the gas tank.
3. The gas vapor vent line coming from the front bottom of the tank.

Then:

1. Remove the evap canister and all lines /components / solenoids etc that are associated with it.

2. Plug off the line / hole coming directly off of the throttle bodies.

3. Run two new lines coming off of the gas tank that allow it to drain and vent in to the open atmosphere properly.

You can download the Service Manual here.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice bike! I just got mine 17k runs great has Staintune slip on sound very good. Did you remove the emissions stuff? Got any suggestions? I ordered A Delkevic cat-less header from Colorado. It looks to be well made looks awesome hoping to install it next weekend. Will let you know how it works out. Wil

• Member Contributer

Just pick up 2000 yellow 5th gen, I had the same bike a few years back and it wasn't a California model. Noticed a tank on the front of the engine that wasn't on my old bike and was wondering if one can take that stuff off the bike, also noticed that the California model has a lot more weight on it, would like to make that go away.... Thanks for any input.....

Since nobody has given you the answer yet -- My bike is a Ca Model and I have no idea how it ended up in Ohio....

- First -- shit can the evap canister that is in front of the oil filter.

- Next there is a roughtly 3/8th inch hose that runs from the can to a solenoid valve on the right side of the bike. Shit can it.

- On the solenoid valve itself... unbolt it and there is a connector on it, unplug it, tape it up and stuff it into the bike.

- Unbolt the solenoid itself... also shit can it.

- There is another 3/8 inch diameter hose that runs from the solenoid to under the tank and connects to to a 4 way plastic connector with 4 smaller hoses to it.

- Prop the tank up so you can get in there to work.

- What you are trying to do is mimic the 49 state hose routing, so.......

- With each smaller hose on the 4 way connector... you will need to pull them off the connector and....

- If you look at the side of the airbox, you will see 4 round tabs on the box, 2 on each side.

- Match a small hose to one the tabs on the side of the airbox, and trim the length so it fit in there neatly.

- Do that times 4... 4 small hoses trimmed to length to each tab on the airbox.

- Shit can the roughly 2 foot length of 3/8th inch hose leftover -- the one from the solenoid to the 4 way plastic hose connector.

- Zip tie up hoses neatly and then button up the tank.

-- Your done... go get a beer.

:cool::beer:

• 1 month later...

I've done all the hose and solenoid changes on my '01 California emissions bike. The bike runs fine... but this being my third "5th gen", I can tell the bike has never been as powerful as I expected from my other ones (both '98 models). Has anyone tried snapping in a 49 state ECM into their bikes to see the difference?

For reference, running everything on the engine stock, fresh valve adjustment and throttle body sync. it does have close to 80,000 miles on it though...

Michael

Since nobody has given you the answer yet -- My bike is a Ca Model and I have no idea how it ended up in Ohio....

~~snip~~

-- Your done... go get a beer.

:cool::beer:

• Member Contributer

re WERA910 "Has anyone tried snapping in a 49 state ECM into their bikes to see the difference?",

My guess is that a switch to a 49 state ECM by itself would not help without also switching to the 49 state cams.

• Member Contributer

Ditto on the Cams - VFRCapn has measured lift on both CA and 49 state cams and the CA have 1mm less lift than the 49 state. I have a CA bike too and the cam change is on my to do list.

Archived