Motogp 2016 Season....with Spoilers

Mattie660

• Member Contributer

Anyone find a good writeup of all the new regulations and technical changes? They are all on the same electronics/ecu? Tire mfg change. What else? Only read a bit about moto3.

From motomatters.com...

https://motomatters.com/analysis/2015/11/11/2015_valencia_post_race_tuesday_round_up.html

...the Open category disappears in 2016, with MotoGP just a single class again. Ducati, Honda and Yamaha are all running under the same rules – 22 liters of fuel, spec electronics, seven engines a season, limited testing, and engine development frozen. As factories which have yet to accumulate sufficient podiums, Aprilia and Suzuki will have unlimited testing and 12 engines a season, and the same fuel and electronics as Honda, Yamaha and Ducati. Tire allocations are identical for all of the factories, with a choice of two tire compounds at each race....

and this on the unified software...

https://motomatters.com/analysis/2015/09/08/everything_you_wanted_to_know_about_moto.html

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefer Stoner to Marquez.

Stoner won a World Title on a Ducati - very cool.

Apart from his riding ability Stoner always talked a good fight as well. I felt you could learn something by listening to him, his race analysis. Honda probably got more useful feedback from Stoner than they do from Marquez, granted that is just speculation on my part.

I do not know how much influence the sponsors have on the teams. Two Spanish riders on the Repsol Honda team, coincidence ? hmm.

Maybe Honda feel that they can sell bikes all over the world, and the nationality of the riders and sponsors do not matter. Perhaps that was the case, but now the cat is out of the bag, or at least suspicions have been raised because of 2015 season. So Honda had better be careful otherwise their reputation will suffer.

So come on Stoner, get back in there. And glad the same rules will apply to all the bikes in the same race.

• Member Contributer

Anyone find a good writeup of all the new regulations and technical changes? They are all on the same electronics/ecu? Tire mfg change. What else? Only read a bit about moto3.

From motomatters.com...

https://motomatters.com/analysis/2015/11/11/2015_valencia_post_race_tuesday_round_up.html

...the Open category disappears in 2016, with MotoGP just a single class again. Ducati, Honda and Yamaha are all running under the same rules – 22 liters of fuel, spec electronics, seven engines a season, limited testing, and engine development frozen. As factories which have yet to accumulate sufficient podiums, Aprilia and Suzuki will have unlimited testing and 12 engines a season, and the same fuel and electronics as Honda, Yamaha and Ducati. Tire allocations are identical for all of the factories, with a choice of two tire compounds at each race....

and this on the unified software...

https://motomatters.com/analysis/2015/09/08/everything_you_wanted_to_know_about_moto.html

Thanks for that link.

So what they're saying is each Honda/Yamaha/Ducati/Suzuki rider will have the same bike as any other rider of the same make? The only difference will be down to setup?

Can someone confirm this or is it more compicated than that?

• Member Contributer

Except Ducati they get to choose between two types of tires and more fuel .

I still think Ducati gets some kind of waiver or concessions from Dorna .

• Member Contributer

• Member Contributer

I thought it was the throttle that got stuck open which caused Stoner to crash.

:1: I thought I read the same thing......and it was confirmed by the electronic data.

It also messed(reinjured) his back .

• Member Contributer

No it's over.

Thanks .

I thought it was the throttle that got stuck open which caused Stoner to crash.

:1: I thought I read the same thing......and it was confirmed by the electronic data.

Yep, I was just going off memory, but going off google, throttle.

• Member Contributer

Stoner should come back. Let's see if his talent still matches his ambition...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Ciao,

One thing for sure he will not put up with Rossi's BS.

I doubt he'd be too keen on MM's approach to racing either!

Time will tell .

Look out....Tito Rabbat just hops on a MotoGP bike and is one second off the pace. He says it is difficult to get used to the electronics (none on a Moto2 bike). Good to see some new guys able to step up. I am watching Efren Vasquez closely. I predict him to be a contender in a year or 2.

• Member Contributer

Ciao,

He's not known as "Casey Moaner" for nothin'!

Ciao,

Tickets not on sale yet, but looking at maybe Mugello GP which is on 22 May. It seems you have to get in quick to get the best tickets !

Provisional calendar published on the MotoGP website: motogp.com

Round Date Grand Prix Venue 1 20/03 Qatar Losail International Circuit 2 03/04 Argentina Termas de Río Hondo 3 10/04 Americas Circuit Of The Americas 4 24/04 Spain Jerez de la Frontera * 5 08/05 France Le Mans 6 22/05 Italy Mugello 7 05/06 Catalunya Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya 8 26/06 Netherlands TT Assen 9 10/07 Germany Sachsenring 10 17/07 Great Britain Silverstone 11 14/08 Austria Red Bull Ring 12 21/08 Czech Republic Brno * 13 11/09 San Marino e della Riviera di Rimini Misano 14 25/09 Aragon MotorLand Aragon 15 09/10 Malaysia Sepang International Circuit 16 16/10 Japan Twin Ring Motegi 17 23/10 Australia Phillip Island 18 06/11 Valencia Comunitat Valenciana - Ricardo Tormo

• Member Contributer

Ciao,

He's not known as "Casey Moaner" for nothin'!

Ciao,

May be he can out moan Rossi .

I was reading that the current TV arrangements were causing concern for some sponsors, because I believe Dorna sells exclusive TV rights for coverage of MotoGP.

This means that sponsors pay a lot of money to advertise to a small exclusive audience.

Could this be why we have seen Suzuki has no major sponsor other than its own brand of motor oils ECSTAR ?

Aleix Espargaro, Assen TT 2015

Maverick%20Vinales%20II_zpsiqmmdvzp.jpg

^^

There does not appear to be much difference from last (2015) season.

Motul have been involved with Suzuki for many many years. Michelin, has replaced Bridgestone as tyre provider for the series. And Suzuki's own brand of motor oil will be their Title Sponsor.

Maybe there is just more value in advertising themselves, rather than accepting a few $$$ to advertise someone else. I notice that the bikes in World Superbikes seem to be covered in sponsorship adverts.

• Member Contributer

^^

Motul have been involved with Suzuki for many many years. Michelin, has replaced Bridgestone as tyre provider for the series. And Suzuki's own brand of motor oil will be their Title Sponsor.

Maybe there is just more value in advertising themselves, rather than accepting a few $$$ to advertise someone else. I notice that the bikes in World Superbikes seem to be covered in sponsorship adverts.

No dude they completely change the bike from 2015 to 2016.

^^

No dude they completely change the bike from 2015 to 2016.

Talking about sponsorship, not performance. My argument that it is difficult to raise sponsorship because Dorna is controlling tightly the TV rights. My argument is that this means sponsors do not get the exposure that they want, and so are not prepared to pay the high price, just to advertise to a smaller audience.

I used Suzuki as the example, to show they had few sponsors, and the sponsors for 2016 are more or less the same as 2015.

It follows that if sponsorship money is difficult to get, then big sponsors will have more of a say in what goes on in the team. This is my whole argument.

The factory Yamaha team went quite a few seasons with no major sponsor. I don't think it's specifically the Dorna/tv rights situation that makes it hard to find big sponsors, but more the fact that MotoGP, and motorcycle racing in general, is a relatively minor player on the world stage. It's very important to us, but 98% of the population isn't all that interested...

And on major sponsors being unduly involved in the running of the team - yep, that happens for sure. Repsol has massive influence over who HRC will put on the factory Hondas - there must be at least one Spanish rider. And fair enough, Repsol is a Spanish company. Phillip Morris had a lot to do with Casey Stoner leaving Ducati, due to how they treated him before he was diagnosed with lactose intolerance.

Archived