Spark Plug Wires And Ignition Coils

Hey all,

Had a horrible summer...

bike was on the fritz non-stop.

burned battery, ignition cylinder out of commission etc..

due to lack of time had to get the bike into the shop and they got it running.. then it burned another batery and stranded me at canadian-american border. misery.

i even thought of selling it... (horrible).

well, yesterday i went into the bike and was looking over it, and noticed that one of my spark plug wires has been nicked and the casing is damaged. i turned the bike on, ran my hand near the damaged wire and got a hell of a shock. it all made sense all at once! all the electrical gremlin-ness was probably coming from this wire intermittently shorting.

my question here is, what is a good replacement for these? OEM? or is there a better option? Also, while i'm at it, should i just replace all the spark plug wires, all the spark plug boots, and the ignition coils? they're most likely original and 22 yrs old (!)

any suggestions are appreciated!

here's a little shot of it just for the hell of it! BIG upgrade in the Corbin, courtesy of Rob from Riverside - thank you sir!

cheers.

post-19685-0-54152600-1445896138.jpg

• Member Contributer

Vfrgo, can't offer insight into non-oem. But definitely if I'm in there I'm doing the lot. False economy to do otherwise; imho, if you intend to keep it.

Sweet looking ride too!

Dave

The stuff is easy to get at, so in terms of time economy it isn't horrible, but if it saves me from being stranded... then its worth it.

note: the ignition coils are 65 USD per... so 4x65 - is a lot of necessary money, if it is a 'if it aint broke, dont fix it' kind of part.

just wondering if there is an upgrade over OEM.

and yes - probably keeping this baby until i'm an old man and i can tell my grand children about how once upon a time we used to strap ourselves to steel explosion containers and operate them across the country at ungodly speeds!

OEM Honda plug wires are very high quality and still doing fine on most of our 25+year old bikes. If replacing, be sure you have solid wire cores, not static-suppressing shit cores. Coils themselves very seldom fail on our bikes.

Great news Squirrelman!

i figured that it may fall under the shitty RR system we've ended up with on our bikes... but I have never heard of coils failing, either, just wanted to get input.

i will just try and get the OEM wire, and be done with it..

thanks!

Archived