Helmet Suggestions

rigger4343

I've had several different ones and all hurt my head exluding one. If you have an oval shaped head like I do, Arai or Shoei is the way to go. I have the Shoei Neotec.

I got run over by a car last February

http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-general-discussions/82522-went-down-yesterday.html

the Shoei, literally, saved my life. I'm sold on Shoei!

• Member Contributer

Had the EXO1000 and now have an EXO1100. Both nice helmets. The 1100 a little quieter, lighter and better ventilation. Both though have issues with the drop-down visor, so although is a great feature, have left me frustrated.

• Member Contributer

Kabuto Aeroblade III- on sale at Revzilla for $239 solids/ $269 in graphics

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kabuto-aeroblade-3-helmet-solid

-5 year warranty

-Japanese quality

- one of the quietest helmets that I have ever worn (out of maybe 20 odd helmets in my time, including Arai/ Shoei/ HJC/ AGV)

- flows a ton of air despite being quiet

-easy to change shield- i can do it in 30 seconds or less

-light, med and dark tint shields avail

- crash replacement program (depends on the helmet, length of ownership, and circumstances)

- replacement cheek pads available so you can tailor the fit

-wide peripheral vision (more than my Arai Signet/ RX7/ Q)

-replacement parts available

I love mine. The one downside that I can see some may have are limited graphic options.

Bang for the buck wise, its hard to beat. These retailed for $400 when I bought mine three years ago. They must be phasing the III out for the IV.

• Member Contributer

Really looking at the Bell RS-1 according to the reviews I read it's very quite. Anyone???

I have the old generation RS-1 with the Alcantara-like liner. It seems quiet enough to me, but I always ride with earplugs anyway. The stock VFR windscreen throws all the air at my head, so no helmet ever gets anywhere near silent. IMHO it's a great helmet; certainly no louder than my old Shoei.

• Member Contributer

Scorpian helmets are a waste of money in my experience. I have had an EX 400 700 and 1000. They all felt fine at first then little things started breaking. Then the irridium lenses started getting etched from normal cleaning with microfiber cloth. Comfort padding got much less comfy over time. I ride everyday and most weekends now. I was buying Arai for some time. They are ageless. That is feel fit and work like new well after their expiration date. Smell a little funky after several years but I likes that familiar funk. Then I tried the budget helmets. Scorpian. They were ok at best. Then I bought a Shoei and am in love with this brand. RF1100 I think. I will be buying another to replace it. Tossed out or gave away my Scorpians. Keep the Arais on the garage walls for decoration. Two brands I can recommend. Arai and Shoei.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I'll admit I'm a fan of Shoei helmets - my RF-1200 is my favorite. Small, light, flows a ton of air and is reasonably quiet. I have the GT Air as well and absolutely love the inner smoke shield, but it doesn't flow as much air and is a bit bigger than the RF.  

• Member Contributer
On 10/26/2015 at 10:38 PM, SCguy said:

I had a Scorpion Exo-900 (modular) and it was a piece of junk. Within 6 months it was falling apart, very poor ventilation, loud whistling vents, heavy, just overall cheap feeling and uncomfortable. The pros were the inflatable neck fit and the fog free shield....

I had an Exo-900 as well...the Fog gree shield worked OK for about a year...useless after that.  It doesn't like ANYTHING but water to clean it...no rags, paper towls, microfiber cloth...ONLY WATER.  It started to whistle worse over time as well...the biggest problem  with the EXO-900 is it is HEAVY and feels like has a leash on the helmet and someone is hanging onto it at speed...it is LARGE, HEAVY and a SAIL...bit it wan't the worst helmet I've ever owned.  A mix of good and bad points.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/modular+helmets/kabuto_ibuki+modular+helmet+-+xs+sm+xl+or+2xl?gclid=Cj0KCQjw1JbPBRCrARIsAOKj2PmhCv_ZIQ6vINWal1DwB1k1w1ELFXPyMEuzAgfuchxgi1UdOnzA4voaAoIxEALw_wcB

Right now I have what used to be OGV and is now Kabuto. I have the Ibuki with a anti-fog insert (pinlock).  It is relatively light, works for my narrow head, and is fairly quite (still as always requires earplugs).  It has a quick release buckle that makes putting the helmet on and off a sinch--without having to cinch.  The release for the flip up lid is simple, easy and has metal lugs to latch.  Overall I think it is darn good.  The one downside is the visor plastic is thin and optically not as superior as Shoei.  This is only an issue because my eyes (turn 50 in Nov) are changing as I get  older and I notice these details.  BUT it isn't bad.  The second down item is the chin vent allows water to mist onto the inside of the helmet visor in heavy rain.  This is only an issue in heavy rain.  That said, I have yet to figure out a solution.

Matt

• Member Contributer

I am a fan and an owner of Roof Boxers, I have two in different colors, I really like the complete fold behind your head feature of the front piece, I can go open face for hours if I wish , it doesn't drag a bit and the face shield is still operable.

One more thing, no one else has one! I love that.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=roof+boxer+helmet&qpvt=roof+boxer+helmet&FORM=IGRE

Archived