What Chain Lube To Use?

fonque

I am new to VFRs, I have a 5th gen and this is my first chain driven bike. What do you recommend as a chain lube? I have read good things about the dupont teflon chain saver. But then I read it was discontinued. So I dont know what I should be looking to buy.

Any help is appreciated.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I've been using the Dupont teflon chain saver since I purchased my VFR. I have 32K miles on the original chain and sprockets. I prefer the squeeze bottle over the spray. Hope it hasn't been discontinued.

• Member Contributer

Any lube is good IF you use it correctly. Start with a very clean chain by using rags and kerosene (harsher chemicals can damage the o-rings), let dry and apply the product.

Choice of product is kinda' a religion with some. I've gone the gamut over the years and now just use wd-40. Why? Because it's a works well as both a light duty cleaner and protector and it has many other uses around the house. I lube via a quick wipe down after rides longer than 30ish miles. Put bike on centerstand in neutral, spray wd40 liberally on a rag, spin the tire clockwise while letting the bottom run of the chain run thru the damp rag. Only takes a minute or two, the chain always looks great because you cleaned and lubed at the same time, and minimum fling. This method also has the direction of the chain spinning backwards so you won't get your fingers possibly caught up in the rear sprocket.

• Member Contributer

DuPont's "Teflon Chain-Saver" has not been discontinued. You can buy it on Amazon or at Walmart today.

Sample listing: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B0VDC2

DuPont has offered a few products in this space and that is likely the source of some confusion. The products include:

1. Teflon Multi-Use Dry, Wax Lubricant

2. Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant

3. Teflon Chain-Saver

#1 was a favorite of some (note the "Dry, Wax" distinction between #1 and #2). I believe this is the product that has been discontinued.

More on this here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/dupont-motorcycle-chain-lube-2012/

See also these VFRD threads regarding chain lubrication:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/74244-help-need-chain-lube-advice/

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/64916-how-often-do-you-clean-lube-your-chain

• Member Contributer

Big fan of the Scottoiler. Not a cheap setup, but definitely as easy for maintenance and care as can be. I've had great success with my V system. Used same on my prior 5th gen. Worth the dosh = ease of maintenance, long chain life. Extremely good ROI for the oil cost. And though it can make a mess if you set it too high, cleans up easy. (Compared to regular chain product)

Dave.

I use a Dupont Teflon spray on my chains and it works great and doesn't attract a bunch of gunk or fly off on the bike. Good stuff!

I am new to VFRs, I have a 5th gen and this is my first chain driven bike. What do you recommend as a chain lube? I have read good things about the dupont teflon chain saver. But then I read it was discontinued. So I dont know what I should be looking to buy.

Any help is appreciated.

• Member Contributer

DuPont's "Teflon Chain-Saver" has not been continued. You can buy it on Amazon or at Walmart today.

Sample listing: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B0VDC2

DuPont has offered a few products in this space and that is likely the source of some confusion. The products include:

1. Teflon Multi-Use Dry, Wax Lubricant

2. Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant

3. Teflon Chain-Saver

#1 was a favorite of some (note the "Dry, Wax" distinction between #1 and #2). I believe this is the product that has been discontinued.

I think you meant "has not been DIScontinued"

Yeah, sadly, the dry wax variety is history.

Interesting, the "Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant" has disappeared from the shelves at Lowes, and other sources of it seem to cost twice as much. Annoying, since it's a useful product regardless.

The chain saver variety seems OK but I have no real data, personally. It doesn't seem to resist grime quite as much. Which is very important to me, living in what I'm pretty sure is the most grimy city in the country, where the only way to keep a vehicle clean is to brush off the dirt every few hours.

• Member Contributer

DuPont's "Teflon Chain-Saver" has not been continued. You can buy it on Amazon or at Walmart today.

I think you meant "has not been DIScontinued"

Yes. Corrected now.

• Member Contributer

Can you get Wurth Dry Chain Lube over there?

I used to use a Scottoiler but even on low settings it flung the lube too much so I changed to Wurth. Very good product.

I think I'm going to clean up the chain with kerosene, then moisturize it with chain spray. I found done at a local Wal-Mart. this will hold me over until I get one of the scottoiler systems. My bday is coming up. it's either that or some Daytona boots.

thanks for the info!

for those that installed the Scottoiler, where did you mount the tank?

• Member Contributer

90 weight gear oil. Provides best protection against sprocket & chain wear.

Also, this is what the owners manual calls for. See pages 135 - 141 for complete chain care recommendations, including how to clean (and not clean) the chain. Solvents NOT recommend to clean an o-ring chain.

• Member Contributer

Any lube is good IF you use it correctly. Start with a very clean chain by using rags and kerosene (harsher chemicals can damage the o-rings), let dry and apply the product.

Choice of product is kinda' a religion with some. I've gone the gamut over the years and now just use wd-40. Why? Because it's a works well as both a light duty cleaner and protector and it has many other uses around the house. I lube via a quick wipe down after rides longer than 30ish miles. Put bike on centerstand in neutral, spray wd40 liberally on a rag, spin the tire clockwise while letting the bottom run of the chain run thru the damp rag. Only takes a minute or two, the chain always looks great because you cleaned and lubed at the same time, and minimum fling. This method also has the direction of the chain spinning backwards so you won't get your fingers possibly caught up in the rear sprocket.

I've used WD-40 exclusively on my '95. It's on its 3rd chain at 175K km. A dirty chain is a killer for chain life.

I use a pizza box with the lid positioned behind the chain (cut to suit and lined with newspaper on the bottom) and spray the WD-40 directly on the lower run of the chain while spinning the wheel. Then I wipe off the excess with a rag. Quick and easy.

• Member Contributer

I use a pizza box with the lid positioned behind the chain (cut to suit and lined with newspaper on the bottom) and spray the WD-40 directly on the lower run of the chain while spinning the wheel. Then I wipe off the excess with a rag. Quick and easy.

I use whatever comes to hand to do the same thing. On the road something can usually be found in local trash cans. Soda cases, news papers, etc.

So I checked the FSM and it says "Clean the chain with non-flammable or high flash point solvent and wipe it dry". Does kerosene and WD-40 fit this description?

and as far as the oil "Lubricate the drive chain with #80 - #90 gear oil or Pro Honda chain lube designed specfically for use with O-ring chains."

I actually have alot of 90wt gear oil at home because My CX500 uses it in the final drive.

So Kerosene and 90wt gear oil?

• Member Contributer

I use whatever comes to hand to do the same thing. On the road something can usually be found in local trash cans. Soda cases, news papers, etc.

If you've got a buddy with you it's even easier. Just ask them to spin the wheel (backwards, naturally) while you hold a rag under the chain and spray the WD-40.

• Member Contributer

90 weight gear oil. Provides best protection against sprocket & chain wear.

I also use 90 wt oil. I never need to clean the chain - just a wipedown is all it takes to keep it looking good. I use a Zoom Spout to apply it - let's me get it right where I want it. It also makes it easy to carry on trips - never has leaked a drop.

M_60914_8470578.jpg

• Member Contributer

Somebody may have already posted this:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-chain-lube-reviews/

I have been using Dupont's Multi-purpose teflon lube for several years. Evidently it's been discontinued so when I run out I will be looking to replace it with a similar dry lube.

• Member Contributer

I have been using Dupont's Multi-purpose teflon lube for several years. Evidently it's been discontinued so when I run out I will be looking to replace it with a similar dry lube.

That's another advantage of using WD-40. If you forgot to bring some on your trip you can get it just about anywhere. No need to change your routine.

• Member Contributer

That's another advantage of using WD-40. If you forgot to bring some on your trip you can get it just about anywhere. No need to change your routine.

You can also get 90W anywhere. :-)

It has been said by many that WD-40 isn't much of a lubricant.

The literature calls it a penetrating oil.

Which might explain some folks' complaints that it tends to wash the lube out from inside motorcycle chain's O-rings. Which is not good.

Note well the warnings about washing out that lubricant in webBikeWorld's review of Tirox.

Others swear by WD-40! Go figure. What WD-40 does do really well is clean stuff so that's probably have the battle. It's an amazing solvent. Oh, wait, wasn't that supposed to be bad too? I'm SO confused.

As always, YMMV...

DuPont does have a follow-on dry-lube product meant specifically for O-ring drive chains. I'm pretty sure that was mentioned here a few days ago.

-Brad

I use Heavy film base lubricant mainly for sprocket wear, not really chain wear, Dry lubes, no lubes or wd40, does nothing for sprocket tooth life, as it doesn't provide that thick film cushion that's needed, to prevent or greatly reduce metal to metal contact.

• Member Contributer

I use DuPont teflon chain saver. However, for the WD-40 folks, this is directly from their website, and yes, I know they are speaking about bicycles:

Bike Friendly

Myth: WD-40® Multi-Use Product should not be used on bike chains.

Fact: While WD-40® Multi-Use Product it is not a grease, it is formulated with strong lubricating oils and other ingredients, and is a terrific product to use for bike maintenance. It does not attract dirt or moisture to metal surfaces – just be sure to wipe off any excess WD-40® Multi-Use Product before riding.

For long-term lubrication and other specialized bicycle maintenance needs, check out WD-40® BIKE. Developed specifically for cyclists and mechanics, this high-performance line of bicycle care products is sure to become a mainstay in the toolboxes of bike mechanics for decades.

http://wd40.com/cool-stuff/myths-legends-fun-facts

And near the bottom specific to motorcycles:

http://wd40.com/uses-tips/lubricate/all?p=41

I've been using Bel-Ray Super Clean because my local MC shop carries it in stock. It goes on white and dries quickly. When the chain doesn't look 'white' anymore, I re-apply. The wife has 15k on her chain and it's still got plenty of life left... but she rides like old lady so YMMV. I've been thinking about switching to DuPont Chain Saver or Maxima Chain Wax, but it's something I would have to order from Amazon.

• Member Contributer

Keep it clean and keep it lubed. I clean with WD40 and use whatever lube is convenient - chain wax, motul chain lube, someting in a green can that I won at the last T-Mac.

Archived