Storage Under Seat Cowl

MrGrumpy83

So I'm looking at the underside of the passenger seat cowl - it has a great big void. I can easily store my wet weather gear under the seat itself, and it seems a waste to have that space available and not effectively use it.

It would be a great place to store a second pair of gloves, or to put a wallet, phone, keys etc when on a day trip.

I'm toying with the idea of finding, or getting made, a water resistant bag that can be installed under there to improve the effectiveness of the space for the likes of the above small items.

Has anybody come across a commercial option, or tried to make one already? Would anyone be interested in one if such a thing was available?

Cool idea. I am quite annoyed by how easily water ends up in that area.

Likewise. Had my wets in there when I washed the bike the other day, opened it up and they were wet... ironically. Hence needing something that's at the very least water resistant, especially for cartage of electronics!

• Member Contributer

Cool idea. I am quite annoyed by how easily water ends up in that area.

Likewise. Had my wets in there when I washed the bike the other day, opened it up and they were wet... ironically. Hence needing something that's at the very least water resistant, especially for cartage of electronics!

Yeah, Honda puts the Powerlet jack in there if you get one, yet the space not waterproof!!! LOL.

The VFR does seem to be designed for fair weather riders. Common these days, unfortunately. Especially with the single seat cowl, gaps are easily visible.

I ride my NC700 all year. Its large storage compartment is rainproof, with a rubber seal. Did have to a get a fender extender and "rear mudgard" (those plastic wings broadening the tail).

• Member Contributer

Have never had a problem with water ingress apart from when hitting it directly with a pressure washer. Have been out for hours in some pretty torrential rain too. My underseat storage is pretty well used. Accessory fuse box, Autocom, 2 way radio, I pod x 2, Scottoiler, Usb Port, cig socket, spare Autocom lead, tool kit, tyre repair kit and side stand puck as well a 2 pairs of sterile nitrile gloves in pkts.

With the cowl on can also get the compressor and a pair of gloves.

A couple of zip lock freezer bags are handy if your worried about stuff getting wet.

Have never had a problem with water ingress apart from when hitting it directly with a pressure washer. Have been out for hours in some pretty torrential rain too. My underseat storage is pretty well used. Accessory fuse box, Autocom, 2 way radio, I pod x 2, Scottoiler, Usb Port, cig socket, spare Autocom lead, tool kit, tyre repair kit and side stand puck as well a 2 pairs of sterile nitrile gloves in pkts.

With the cowl on can also get the compressor and a pair of gloves.

A couple of zip lock freezer bags are handy if your worried about stuff getting wet.

Wow that's a lot of stuff! Got some pics?

Sea to Summit make a range of dry bags with roll tops from 1 litre to about 35 litres capacity. I've used them for years for hiking and kayaking. They're totally waterproof, last for years and cost little:

http://www.seatosummit.com.au/products/storage-bags/event-dry-bag/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sea to Summit make a range of dry bags with roll tops from 1 litre to about 35 litres capacity. I've used them for years for hiking and kayaking. They're totally waterproof, last for years and cost little:

http://www.seatosummit.com.au/products/storage-bags/event-dry-bag/

These are great bags. The only drama I can see with them is there's not one in a very close size (ie. some wasted space) and you'd have to take it in and out all the time to get stuff in/out. If it was for 'permanent' storage and you hardly had to access it that would be fine, but i guess what I'm chasing is more of a 'glove box' style - easy enough to throw something in there and be able to get it back out again several times throughout the course of a day if need be.

• 1 month later...

I have one of those, I'll try it. Where in Essex are you, mistersteviechen?

Looking forward to hearing how you go - Pics would be even better! :). If it's a good fit I'll definitely buy one. Love the Kriega gear.

• Member Contributer

Not much good then. Gone are the days of cavernous boots in favour of a more sleek like rear end.

I'm happy with the storage given and use it to its fullest extent.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Put your stuff in a vacuum seal FoodSaver bag. That's how we freeze smoked meat. NOTHING will penetrate the bag. Or just a zip lock bag.

Put your stuff in a vacuum seal FoodSaver bag. That's how we freeze smoked meat. NOTHING will penetrate the bag. Or just a zip lock bag.

Bit hard to reseal it when you have to get something out (eg. your phone) when you're on a ride ;)

Something with softer edges would be nice though, so you could throw a phone or similar in there without it banging around the compartment.

Archived