Nicky Finally Going To Wsbk

Burns

I remember seeing him at Laguna Seca with a leopard spot buzz cut.

He ain't that kid no more. What year was that anyway?

Definitely a veteran, but not too grizzled yet. I hope he does well. :beer:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I'm a 29 year veteran at the company I work for and am still asked by "youngsters" to teach them a trick or two.....

• Member Contributer

I remember seeing him at Laguna Seca with a leopard spot buzz cut.

He ain't that kid no more. What year was that anyway?

Definitely a veteran, but not too grizzled yet. I hope he does well. :beer:

2001/2002.

• Member Contributer

2016 will be an uphill battle. He's a fairly big guy (for his profession) on a comparatively slow machine. His skills for development and racing will be taxed to the extreme just to consistently stay in the top 5 much less podium on a regular basis. I hope Honda is secretly finalizing a new competitive CBR or VFR/RVF in the $15k range that mere humans will have a chance to purchase and homologate. Ok, I'm really hoping they will run the RC213V-S for 2017 and have Nicky testing it concurrently with the 2016 CBR that he will be racing. It's time for Honda to dominate something again other than portable generators.

He's still off the pace of the Kawasakis, but not bad for his first testing session.

http://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/2015/Sizzling+pace+for+Kawasaki+as+Jerez+test+ends

Not Kaw times, but Haydens best lap was under last years Pole time. Glad he's not a slug!

BR

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Nicky will be on one of the weaker bikes and will again be one of the biggest guys. Nicky, Val, and eventually Crutchlow were in a weight class by themselves in MotoGP. I haven't been able to watch WSB in a couple of years, but I'd guess there won't be as many tiny aliens with warp drives.

Agreed. The mere fact that Jon Rea went from being an afterthought to dominating the WSBK series shows the weakness in the CBR. Nicky will have has hands full next year, but I hear Honda is coming out with a new bike in 2017.

4th in the test today...ahead of his team mate by over 1/2 a second (paging Timmy de Coppe) and not looking too shabby for the dog that he racing. Ahead of both Yamahas but about a 1/2 second down on Tom Sykes Kawi.

Chaz Davies in second and Johnny Rea in third.

http://superbikeplanet.com/2016/Jan/160126jerez.htm

• Member Contributer

Don't forget how good Nicky looked when he first started testing the Ducati MotoGP bike. He and Rossi had comparable times with the rest of the field for the first few outings, then they started riding with boat anchors attached to the bikes compared to the rest of the teams. Let's hope his tuners can squeeze a few more tenths out of the CBR and give him a bike that's within a 1/2 second of the Kawi. Then maybe his talent can make up the difference if he doesn't have to start too far back in the grid every race.

• Member Contributer

Second day of testing:

1. Sykes

2. Giugliano

3. Davies

4. Hayden

both days at 4, hope it translates to decent results once the flag drops.

• Member Contributer

Mazda Raceway Track tickets . July 8,9,10 ..

3-DAY GENERAL ADMISSION & PADDOCK (FRI/SAT/SUN)
Advance $95 $110 $30 3-day parking.

Did this last year along with the parade lap option, definitely had a good time! Might do it again this year. Depends on how my work load turns out this summer.

• Member Contributer

Did this last year along with the parade lap option, definitely had a good time! Might do it again this year. Depends on how my work load turns out this summer.

Motorcycle parking area better ? Friend of mine went a couple of years back and did not have a parking pass and had to park his bike on the side of a hill in the gravel.

• Member Contributer

Motorcycle parking area better ? Friend of mine went a couple of years back and did not have a parking pass and had to park his bike on the side of a hill in the gravel.

If you get the right parking permit, which looks like the one you have there, then you're near the paddock and vendor areas, most of it is level hard packed dirt. However, when the rain came through one evening, they put us on the asphalt on the other side of the fence where the vendors park. If you get the Ducati parking pass, you get to park on Ducati Island. Which is well into the vendor area! I think these are obtained through a Ducati dealer if I'm not mistaken.

Anyone know the television situation for WSBK? Did anyone else pick it up due to an American being in it, or is it BeIn only again? I might subscribe through the WSBK web site if not, since I have to change my entire programming package to add BeIn. Last year I just watched when I could on YouTube, but it was very hit or miss.

The WSBK video subscription is almost as nice as the MotoGP one, and it's cheaper.

What's the connection speed requirement?

Motogp pass costs me a fortune, forced to use my 4G cell data to view.

• Member Contributer

The WSBK video subscription is almost as nice as the MotoGP one, and it's cheaper.

Depends on how much detail you want to view the stream. The MotoGP and WSBK streaming engines use the least amount of resolution for your connection speed. Meaning if you want HD resolution, you'll need a fast connection, if you're OK with 240p resolution, then a mediocre connection may work but might be a little hard to watch. Sometimes my video will go up and down in resolution because of a bottle neck in connection speed. Where the bottleneck is, who knows?

• Member Contributer

I'd have to check. Either MotoGP or WSBK had an option for changing the stream resolution. probably 480 is as low as it goes.

The highest both go is 720P. MotoGP has Low, 360p, 540p, 720p & Auto. Low is most likely 240p. WSBK is Auto, ST, HQ and HD720p. Where ST is unknown. Most likely 540p as it still looks good. Auto for either could be variable bit rate or just adjust itself to whatever the highest resolution it can stream for your connection speed. Most likely the latter.

Archived