4Th Gen Exhaust Headers On 3Rd Gen

Hi guys

I spotted a 4th gen header pipe assembly for sale on e-bay and am considering making an offer. It is in the next suburb over from me so very close by.

I have a 3rd gen bike and have heard of a few people fitting the 4th gen header to 3rd gen bikes in order to save some weight and get rid of that ugly- as-sin collector box.

I know that I would have to lose the centre stand (more weight saving so don't mind that, and have a paddock stand at the ready), but what I am not sure about is other potential issues:

- I like my current muffler (sound / looks) but I know that the muffler to header connection is different on 3rd gen & 4th gen. Can a 4th gen header be easily modified to take a 3rd gen muffler?

- any other stumbling blocks or is it a straight swap other than centre stand / muffler connection issues?

Thanks in advance

Malcolm

Is it high mount version muffler?

From where I tried to fit a fourth gen. high up link pipe on a third gen. collector, I ended up with getting a link pipe for the third gen. system. The angles and height are different...

Still the angle on the header is different as the connection.

The RC36-1 uses a ring that slides over the collector connection where it is held together by two bolts with springs.

honda-vfr750f-1990-usa-muffler-90-93_big

The RC36-2 has a differrent connection. The joint is smaller and at the joint, a clamp goes over the connection holding them both together:

honda-vfr750f-1994-germany-exhaust-muffl

Thanks guys... the angle of connection definitely looks different...

I might buy them anyway and then when a nice high level exhaust for the later 36's comes along I'll be able to fit it. The headers are only $50 anyway so hardly big $$.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived