Ecu Vs Tps: Sick 6Th Gen & I Need Some Help

pres589

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Anyone on this forum sitting on a spare 6th gen throttle body assembly? Can be pretty well stripped bare. Can discuss offline or here, either way, but I'd like to see if I can swap a different unit onto my bike to get things into better shape.

• 2 months later...

Yes I have my original 2007 throttle bodies with about 60,000 miles on them, sitting in a box in my garage.

Would it be possible for you to take a picture of the injector electrical connector and post to:-

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/83008-injectors-and-connectors/#entry1029973

So then have all 3 types to compare connectors? Would be much appreciated.

I sold the throttle bodies to pres589.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Ah ok. Never mind. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I haven't been on the forum in a while until tonight. Still playing with the bike. I haven't resolved the issue yet. I've honestly dreaded working on this thing.

I'll post final findings later this evening. So far it doesn't seem like Candy's throttle body assembly has changed anything.

• Member Contributer

I had a single FI lamp flash and then eight. I pulled the coolant sensor connector off and now I just have the eight. Nothing has changed or improved that I can tell.

I've no idea what to do next.

EDIT: Anyone have a spare ECU lying around for a 2004 VFR? I don't know what other years interchange, I think there are differences starting at 2006 that makes that ECU unusable.

EDIT 2: I'm making [awful] movies showing what's going on here. Probably be up late tonight if I can figure out how to edit this stuff.

• Member Contributer

Okay, this shows basically what I've been dealing with. I know I read the voltages to the camera a bit off (decimal/millivolt conversion error) and I'm kind of not an awesome narrator; this was on the fly.

Thoughts? Make more sense as to what I'm up against?

• Member Contributer

Watching the video several times, it seems that you're saying that the TPS (at least 2 of them anyway) work fine when plugged in to the harness but not connected to the throttle body, but all 3 give a faulty throttle closed voltage when connected to either of the throttle body(s). Also, it appears that it being measured by back-probing the connector at the ECU. If that's not correct, please clarify.

If you install the TPS on the Tbody, if the resistance is consistent for all 3, then it sounds like there's a short somehow that's happening between the TPS and ECU. In other words, the TPS gets its 5v reference voltage applied. At closed throttle the resistance is highest, allowing the least voltage to the ECU. As it's opened, resistance drops and more voltage is allowed to pass until at WOT nearly all of the 5v reference voltage is flowing to the ECU. If the ECU is getting more voltage than it should when the TPS is at its highest resistance (that is, closed) then it must be finding some other way of getting to the ECU. How that could be attributed to being attached to the TB vs. not is a mystery. There are some procedures in the FSM for troubleshooting shorts in the harness, some of which involve a test harness which none of us likely have. Ultimately when the TPS and harness are eliminated the last step is replacement of the ECU, but it looks like what it's seeing is faulty. It might be worth going back through each step of the FSM procedure to verify everything before concluding it's the ECU.

• Member Contributer

What the video shows, I think, is that the Dorman and OEM TPS act basically the same (there's some very minor differences that shouldn't affect ECU logic) when handled free from the throttle assembly. The Dorman acts like the OEM did when installed; the TPS to throttle shaft interfacing blade has to be rotated slightly to install the TPS, which swings the voltage dividing wiper inside the TPS, so the voltage is already on its way up from the "closed" state. And this is done without throttle cables attached, which is why I had to walk around the bike to rotate the throttle shaft.

I then lay CandyRed's throttle assembly on top of mine just to wire its TPS to the bike's connector. It does the same stuff as the Dorman when the Dorman part was installed on the stock throttle assembly.

You wrote; "If the ECU is getting more voltage than it should when the TPS is at its highest resistance (that is, closed) then it must be finding some other way of getting to the ECU. How that could be attributed to being attached to the TB vs. not is a mystery." <-- when I install the TPS's on the assemby I have to hold the blade slightly rotated to engage with the slot at the end of the main throttle shaft. The TPS is basically being held at a part-throttle level of voltage output. The weird thing is how both assemblies are doing this. And I'm not been able to fix that. The ECU seems unhappy with anything I do, TPS free and rotated by hand or when the TPS is installed on the throttle assembly.

This seems like it should be an easy fix... I appreciate the feedback and ideas from folks here so far.

• Member Contributer

I had a single FI lamp flash and then eight. I pulled the coolant sensor connector off and now I just have the eight. Nothing has changed or improved that I can tell.

I've no idea what to do next.

EDIT: Anyone have a spare ECU lying around for a 2004 VFR? I don't know what other years interchange, I think there are differences starting at 2006 that makes that ECU unusable.

EDIT 2: I'm making [awful] movies showing what's going on here. Probably be up late tonight if I can figure out how to edit this stuff.

I am parting out a 2003, but it has ABS. If it is suitable, we can definitely work something out...

• Member Contributer

The more I think about this the more I'm looking towards reason why I have to rotate the sensor blade to install the TPS. The closed throttle voltage is jacked way over what it should be, by 2 to 2.5 V. With the TPS in my hand the levels are much closer to what they should be.

Both assemblies are doing this and the cables to the throttle tube are disconnected. The butterflies are shut and nothing is hanging up.

Gritting my teeth thinking about this.

• Member Contributer

digitallyhip: What about the wiring harness, specifically the engine stuff, what's that like on your bike?

I want to say I don't need an ECU and probably don't need the wiring... but I'm starting to go into shotgun everything mode on this thing.

How's it going parting out your 2003?

• Member Contributer

digitallyhip: What about the wiring harness, specifically the engine stuff, what's that like on your bike?

I want to say I don't need an ECU and probably don't need the wiring... but I'm starting to go into shotgun everything mode on this thing.

How's it going parting out your 2003?

All of that is there and was working properly before Mrs Hip wrote off both bikes. No damage to the wiring harness etc. Parting out would go faster if I spent any time on it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I've ordered an ECU via ebay and should receive it on Friday. I'm really doubting this is a wiring fault and will skip that previous idea of replacing the engine harness. Will update again when it shows up.

• Member Contributer

What an ordeal. Hats off to you for sticking with it. Hopefully that solves it and you'll be back on the road! :beer:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

New ECU didn't really change anything.  The last stop is the wiring.  I either replace harnesses or try and make my harness exactly like factory.  Not sure which sounds like the best path, probably harness replacement.  

There may also be something to some other sensor changing the ground path or the 5V+ reference path in the harness.  

Basically I think I need to get the harness and attached components back to factory and see what happens.  

I bet someone would love to sell me a perfect 2003 to 2004 VFR engine wiring harness, right?

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I've been back at it with this bike and I'm about to give up.  New stub harness that attaches to the injectors and sensors, new main harness, and now I have an FI light that stays on constantly.  Both harnesses are doing this now.  I really wish this bike would get stolen somehow, and no, it's not insured.  Not sure how to proceed and tired of messing with it.  

If I knew I wouldn't be sitting on boxes of parts for a year I'd start parting it out tonight.  But it's VFR bits so I doubt any of it would move any time soon.

• Member Contributer

Anyone out there know what the ECU thinks about having the MAP sensor pulled out but the rest of the system wired?  I figured out that the side stand "sensor" was shunting to chassis ground when the side stand was up, which caused the ECU to fault entirely, with a single solid FI light on.  Disconnecting the side stand from the bike entirely has fixed that.  

I had a single blink and then eight blinks of the FI light after that.  A single blink is MAP sensor failure, eight is TPS.  Looking at wiring schematics, some of the MAP and TPS wiring from the ECU is common. I've run through MAP sensor testing and instead of dividing the 5V reference signal from the ECU into something like 2.7 to 3.3V as per the manual, it's outputting 0.3 volts as measured from the middle pin on the MAP connector to chassis ground.  I have nice clear 5V on the supply wire as I should, and a good continuity on the ground wire, so this sensor seems clearly trashed.

With the MAP sensor off the bike entirely I still have eight FI light flashes.  But I had those before.  Thoughts?

I would expect an error if the MAP sensor is disconnected and suggest that you fit a new (i.e. working) one before you continue troubleshooting further. You really need to fix each fault before looking at the next one to hopefully eliminate any interference and misleading symptoms.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I'm ordering a new MAP sensor today, as well as a side stand switch.  The odd part is how the ECU isn't driving a single or a pair of FI blinks to signify a MAP sensor error.  I'm just getting the eight.  I'm going to go to other tasks on the bike while waiting for these parts to come in; chain and sprockets have been waiting on the bench for a while, maybe those are next.

Archived