N + 1

ScottyAdams

Always looking; I submit the following for practical application of the topic theorem. 1997 Harley Davidson Sportster Custom, 3500 original miles. 27 Franklins. Couldn't pass it up.

post-32971-0-61019000-1442718704.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Well, not my cup of tea but congratulations none the less. I'm a firm believe in the n+1 formula, just need a garage big enough!

I have a soft spot for sportsers. Nice job on that one. I agree on your theory and also show my soft spot for V twins in general. I just had this jewel dropped off at my door this morning.

12032150_10207709170587005_8023112728392

• Member Contributer

Now Timmy,

For us ignorant motorcycle lovers, would you mind telling us what that is? And some specs? Year? Looks like a diamond in the rough. What are you going to do with it?

C

• Member Contributer

That looks like a '80 CX 500 Custom, fine bikes! just a bit down on power but quite capable! Another Honda indestructible engine with shaft drive, excellent commuter! To the OP looks like you got a good buy on that Sportster !

• Member Contributer

Honda also made a turbocharged version of the CX. I believe it was also Honda's first stab at fuel injection on a motorcycle. Way ahead of its time.

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-japanese-motorcycles/honda-cx500-turbo-zmsz13ndzbea.aspx

I have a soft spot for sportsers. Nice job on that one. I agree on your theory and also show my soft spot for V twins in general. I just had this jewel dropped off at my door this morning.

I see the flat black has already started on the front fender. Somebody saw you coming.

On a serious note, it is kinda cool in an ugly sort of way. Nice find. Sure to be the only one at bike night.

I see the flat black has already started on the front fender. Somebody saw you coming.

On a serious note, it is kinda cool in an ugly sort of way. Nice find. Sure to be the only one at bike night.

Yes, night-time is probably the best time to ride that...

• Member Contributer

Better a sportster than one of the other ones. 883 or 1200? College guy had an 883. Wasn't too bad that.

Also, do you wear a silver helmet and a hi-viz bilt textile jacket? Saw a red 5th gen on 77-S getting on at rockside and getting off at pleasant valley.

• Member Contributer

Always looking; I submit the following for practical application of the topic theorem. 1997 Harley Davidson Sportster Custom, 3500 original miles. 27 Franklins. Couldn't pass it up.

Somehow I feel the word "sportster" or sport should never be used in the same sentence as Hardly Movingson Harley Davidson.

Still, I'd never try to stop a fellow biker with his n+1 quest.

Most important thing is that you enjoy it (no matter how demented you must be!). :goofy:

man, sportsters are cool. When you just want motorcycle, standard, american. you really get a feel of just riding with no aspirations or pretenses. Hard to explain, but much fun. The 1200s can be quick too. My Buell with a 1200 sportster mill got 124 rwhp and 88f/lbs of torque on the dyno.

The CX should clean up nicely :fing02: , only thing to watch out for is cam chain tensioner issues. My dad and oldest brother loved their CX's in the 80's and that's the only complaint they had on the bike. Otherwise they are bulletproof bikes despite their sometimes noisy cam chains........its a Honda, after all......

• Member Contributer

Turbo that sucker!!!!

Honda_CX_500_Turbo_01pop.jpg?itok=WYNXh6

silly money though.....

http://www.speurders.nl/overzicht/honda-cx-500-turbo-bj-1983-150558764.html?sr_ab=1&no_qs=True&query=cx500+turbo

(front brake reservoir leaked and damaged the paint on the fender and caliper. not run since 1987......)

Or cafe race it...

http://www.speurders.nl/overzicht/motoren-en-scooters/motoren-honda/cx500-caf-racer-152775854.html?sr_ab=1&no_qs=True&query=cx

The CX should clean up nicely :fing02: , only thing to watch out for is cam chain tensioner issues. My dad and oldest brother loved their CX's in the 80's and that's the only complaint they had on the bike. Otherwise they are bulletproof bikes despite their sometimes noisy cam chains........its a Honda, after all......

Cam chain issue fixed on the 650 by making the tensioner automatic. Thwy beefed everything up for the 650 turbo and the regular 650 reaped the benifits.

• Member Contributer

Nice Sportster! What size engine? Was that back in the AMC bowling ball days?

I'm also considering an American standard to add to the MBD... I really like the new Indian Scout.

• Member Contributer

I'm also considering an American standard to add to the MBD... I really like the new Indian Scout.

This. Scouts are still kinda rare and nobody is willing to deal on them around here. I'll wait until the fad dies down and pick up somebody's garage queen. Also lets me see how they turn out reliability wise.

Personally, I'm done with HD transmissions, the two Buells I had were the absolute worst shifting machines I've ever driven. Hopefully that sporty isn't too bad. Good luck with the MBD!

Better a sportster than one of the other ones. 883 or 1200? College guy had an 883. Wasn't too bad that.

Also, do you wear a silver helmet and a hi-viz bilt textile jacket? Saw a red 5th gen on 77-S getting on at rockside and getting off at pleasant valley.

White Shoei helmet, black Bilt pants too? Hot dang that has to be me as I did that route recently.

Archived