Hispanic Slammer And Yokel Do Eu 2016

Yokel

NL has 70%. Denmark has 180% I think.

Then there are luxury tax, road tax, and insurance. I am sure on of our continental members will he along to clarify.

Sales tax in Nl is 21% when bought in a shop, when bought from a private person there is no tax involved. Insurance kosts me personally less then 120 Euro's a year, road tax 30 euro per 3 months. I think you are mixed up with taxes on Whisky. :goofy:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

First of all, if you need a place to stay in SE London (near Greenwich), we usually have a room available. However, I think a better trip would be in Continental Europe. With only two weeks, unless you want to be riding all day no-stop (maybe you do!) you would be better off staying in one part of Europe.

Two weeks is really too short to buy/sell. You cannot guarantee you will sell two bikes at any particular time. Insurance would also be a big hassle. Even if you bought the bikes here in the UK, where the only requirement is an address to put on the registration docs, you have to show proof of insurance to get the bikes taxed.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Hello VFRD!

After Miguel and I had gotten suitably drunk, we decided and have made a pact to tour Europe for two weeks in the summer of 2016. We are thinking mid-June 2016.

Goals - tour the Alps, perhaps catch a road race, do everything as inexpensively as possible. We talked about the Fjords in Norway, Eastern Europe, Greece, Italy, Benelux, England (Scotland, Ireland) Netherlands, Germany.... We are kind of open right now for destinations. We both enjoy the local scene kind of thing, and are not totally crazy about seeing big cities.

Likely, we will camp in tents, but part of the time but are looking for local people willing to host two chubby 'Muricans on the occasional night to do laundry and share some laughs. Knowing where helping hands are located in case of emergency would be incredibly welcome.

What we need from you, the population of VFRD:

1) The best way to procure cheap rental bikes. We prefer something like an SV650 or other midsize bike with sporting intentions that can allow for luggage and fun riding. Loaner bikes are welcome and will earn you new tires. :-) It will also get us to fly in to your town and impose on your hospitality for a day!

2) Advice on motor-touring, camping and generally going cheap in the EU. What are insurance or licensing requirements for Yanks in the EU?

3) Best places to ride. We think we can cover about 5000 kilometers during our stay.

4) Things "not to miss" while we are in the area mid-June. Know of any neat town or national festivals that involve beer in June? We're in.

5) Some people willing to help in case of mechanical failure or other unforeseen events.

6) Budget. I've done a reasonable amount of figuring... right now it looks like motorcycle rental will be the most expensive. Anyone with input on this will be very appreciated. Airfare is already figured.

This is a once-in-a-lifetime bucket list trip for the two of us. We're needing some help making it happen! Pretend we are ignorant (which shouldn't be too hard!) and offer up some nuggets of wisdom!

Thanks to all in advance,

Yokel

OMG!!!

Can I come with?!?!

That is my dream trip...

The Eifel is a must, but stay off the Nurnurgring

... Only hair raising thing was a BMW car passing outside in a blind of camber corner going sideways....

As long as that was the only issue... shouldn't be a problem.

;/

• Member Contributer

One year ago this week my wife and I spent three weeks in Europe for our 30th anniversary taking in the MotoGP race in San Marino.

I can make some suggestions as I learned some about what not to do and much about what I would do differently.

I am now planning for a return trip and was shooting for June of '16 but I just received a contract to buy my job from the German company that I work for. It is now more likely that I will be going back with a few other riders in June of '17 to catch the Mugello GP race that is scheduled (usually) the last week of May/first week of June.

My first recommendation is to get there about 2 days before you want to do any miles on the bike. Try to schedule a flight that departs around 4 PM and will therefore land around 7-8 AM and get some sleep on the plane!

We had a car for the first five days and explored some things I had always wanted to see in Northern Germany then heading down to Munich and rented a VFR1200 for 10 days (two up so couldn't go with something smaller and wanted to flog a 1200 anyway as I was considering buying one). We then had another car for the last 5 days as we wandered back north to Frankfurt.

We switched up our stays between hotels and B&B's but there are less expensive options. I cannot recommend strongly the service that we received from Hermann at http://www.motowelt.de/motorental/index.htm

A week on a bike will still cost you about $750 Euro but there will be no mileage hit for going over and you will begin your trip only a few hours from the Alps and Austria. They will store your luggage and anything you want to leave in it while you are on their bike.

I have to respectfully disagree with others who have said skip the Stelvio. I know there are better roads in the area (I loved almost every road I spent a year on google maps searching through and planning to ride) but to me it is like showing up at the Crossroads of Time at the intersection of NC28 and US129 then heading south to the Cherohala. I love the Cherohala much more than the Tail of the Dragon but you don't haul your ass 9,000 miles across the planet to skip something like Stelvio or the Grossglockner.

PM if you have any specific questions but I agree with Dutchy, just do it. You will never be younger than you are right now and this will be something that you will never forget.

• Member Contributer
We switched up our stays between hotels and B&B's but there are less expensive options. I cannot recommend strongly enough the service that we received from Hermann at http://www.motowelt.de/motorental/index.htm .

The Munich area is also a good place to start, unless you want to go north (which I would not recommend for such a short trip).

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

First of all, if you need a place to stay in SE London (near Greenwich), we usually have a room available. However, I think a better trip would be in Continental Europe. With only two weeks, unless you want to be riding all day no-stop (maybe you do!) you would be better off staying in one part of Europe.

Two weeks is really too short to buy/sell. You cannot guarantee you will sell two bikes at any particular time. Insurance would also be a big hassle. Even if you bought the bikes here in the UK, where the only requirement is an address to put on the registration docs, you have to show proof of insurance to get the bikes taxed.

Ciao,

Must admit, I agree with all the above.

• Member Contributer

One year ago this week my wife and I spent three weeks in Europe for our 30th anniversary taking in the MotoGP race in San Marino.

I can make some suggestions as I learned some about what not to do and much about what I would do differently.

I am now planning for a return trip and was shooting for June of '16 but I just received a contract to buy my job from the German company that I work for. It is now more likely that I will be going back with a few other riders in June of '17 to catch the Mugello GP race that is scheduled (usually) the last week of May/first week of June.

My first recommendation is to get there about 2 days before you want to do any miles on the bike. Try to schedule a flight that departs around 4 PM and will therefore land around 7-8 AM and get some sleep on the plane!

We had a car for the first five days and explored some things I had always wanted to see in Northern Germany then heading down to Munich and rented a VFR1200 for 10 days (two up so couldn't go with something smaller and wanted to flog a 1200 anyway as I was considering buying one). We then had another car for the last 5 days as we wandered back north to Frankfurt.

We switched up our stays between hotels and B&B's but there are less expensive options. I cannot recommend strongly enough the service that we received from Hermann at http://www.motowelt.de/motorental/index.htm

A week on a bike will still cost you about $750 Euro but there will be no mileage hit for going over and you will begin your trip only a few hours from the Alps and Austria. They will store your luggage and anything you want to leave in it while you are on their bike.

I have to respectfully disagree with others who have said skip the Stelvio. I know there are better roads in the area (I loved almost every road I spent a year on google maps searching through and planning to ride) but to me it is like showing up at the Crossroads of Time at the intersection of NC28 and US129 then heading south to the Cherohala. I love the Cherohala much more than the Tail of the Dragon but you don't haul your ass 9,000 miles across the planet to skip something like Stelvio or the Grossglockner.

PM if you have any specific questions but I agree with Dutchy, just do it. You will never be younger than you are right now and this will be something that you will never forget.

Edited as JZH showed the importance of a proof read when you omit the modifier.

The Mugello MotoGp is sure a thing to visit if time and money allow, and it you camp close to the track you will see all the crazy before/after/night shows and partys also!

Been there in 2011, but did not camp close to the track, still a experience worth to see!

And remember: the fuel handles for regular gasoline are green. And sometimes called benzene. Really confused me the first time. Places have gotten better about accepting a pin card without a chip, but if your bank offers it defo get one. ...and my fave thing: when you approach a town a box will flash a sad face if you are speeding and then a happy face when you sliw to the built up area speed limit. Oh, and one more thing- the centre line is not sacred over there and it is mostly a suggestion, but most drivers are very responsible and courteous.

And remember: the fuel handles for regular gasoline are green. And sometimes called benzene. Really confused me the first time. Places have gotten better about accepting a pin card without a chip, but if your bank offers it defo get one. ...and my fave thing: when you approach a town a box will flash a sad face if you are speeding and then a happy face when you sliw to the built up area speed limit. Oh, and one more thing- the centre line is not sacred over there and it is mostly a suggestion, but most drivers are very responsible and courteous.

That suggestion will cost you €230 in the Netherlands. When the centre line is broken, you may pass other verhicles, but if it is not broken.............cashing!!!!!!

I stay on my iwn side even if there is no line. But I was speaking in reference to the Eifel. Folks are all over the place there. I do like how NL narrows the road in certain places to keep the speeds down. Only obe car will fit so everyone takes a turn and all is well. In the USA, no one would give way and all you would have is crashing.

• Member Contributer

That suggestion will cost you €230 in the Netherlands. When the centre line is broken, you may pass other verhicles, but if it is not broken.............cashing!!!!!!

A lesson I learned on my first trip in Europe, by a rather unimpressed Guardia Civil whose English was fortunately not comprehensive enough to bother with the on-the-spot fine I'd most certainly earned by crossing one.

guardia_civil_trafico2.jpg

[File Photo]

As it was a single line, I figured it was advisory, but, er, apparently it wasn't. Fortunately the 'ol dumb tourist routine worked in the end!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Over the past 6 years I've lived and worked in the UK for 7 months, Germany for a year, Spain for 6 months, Italy for 6 months and France for 3, I'm American and have owned, borrowed and rented bikes in Europe so I guess I have some opinions on this topic :)

First, take the time and go to the local Triple A office and get an International driving permit before you go. Most European countries require you have one. Used to be the law was pretty much ignored by most countries and most Americans headed overseas. Well, not anymore as I found out in Italy a couple of years ago. I was stopped at a checkpoint by the Carabinieri riding a friends Ducati registered in the UK with my American license. This confused them so they asked for what I assumed was my International license and produced it. Saved me from a fine and I went on my way. Every country in Europe with budget issues is desperately trying to raise revenue, and this is easy pickings for them. I've seen it throughout Europe, but especially in Italy, you can come around a corner and find the Carabineri, Gemdarmes, Guardia Civil standing in the road waving you over for a document check. If you are an AAA member the license is $21, less than 10% of what you will be forking over at the side of the road. Make sure your motorcycle endorsement is on there.

Have at least a fleeting knowledge of local laws where you intend to ride. France used to require a hi viz vest while riding, then that was repealed, but now you must have one if you break down by the side of the road. They also used to require every vehicle to carry 2 one use breathalyzers, not sure where that is now. My point is don't give them a chance to part you from your money, which is what its all about.

Renting: Probably the easiest, but most expensive option. I've rented in France and Italy. It came out to about 100 Euros a day insurance included. There are cheaper options out there, but I was always last minute. Keep in mind the the deductibles were quite high, 500 euros IIRC and they also put a 2000 euro hold on my card. Mess up and what was expensive could be a lot more. If you book early enough you can probably get the bike you want. Being a last minute thing I always ended up on Miss Piggy the 800/1200 BMW, which cured me of renting bikes at the last minute.

Borrowing: I have borrowed bikes in Germany, The Netherlands, and the UK. This may be an option if someone in Europe and is inclined to lend them to you and has an insurance company that will allow other riders as long as they are registered. I did this in Germany and once in the UK. Wish I did it twice as the second time I ended up crashing and totaling a buddies Ducati 750 SuperSport. Surprisingly he is still my friend although I turned it into a 150 foot long yard sale after a highside in Wales. I still kid him that I own more of it than he does. The other option is to have someone buy the bikes you want and register them in their name, put you on their insurance and sell them on after you are done. Lots of Admin, relying on the kindness of strangers, and the vagaries of the laws of whatever country you do this in. What makes this worth all the trouble is that you get to ride the bike you want, the way you want to ride it, with whatever mods you want. Although you will be on the hook for insurance, road tax, etc, I'll bet this is a cheaper and way more pleasurable way to do a once in a lifetime trip. I know I ride my own bike way different than Miss Piggy the rental.

Owning: Probably not an option but I'll put it out there.I bought a 3rd Gen in England last year as I was shore based (I work on a ship) for 7 months. I did my research and found enough discrepancies and grey areas in the UK law that I bought a bike on ebay. I could not register it until I insured it and that was a pain, but I finally found a company that accepted my application and insured me. The deciding factor? I had an International license, go figure. The registration which I thought was going to be an issue, no problem, I had an address, V5, and 80 pounds, took me all of 10 minutes at the Post Office. Like I mentioned above, riding my own bike made all the difference in how I rode and how I enjoyed it. It would be available to either of you, but I just sold it a week ago..... (Got the 8 spoke wheel though)

I saw Norway mentioned. I just spent 2 months there, any country that needs to charge you $16 for a bottle of beer is beneath your consideration. Maybe Bill Gates can afford to rent a bike, fuel it and have a beer at the end of the day there, I couldn't. The French and Italian Alps and their foothills are as advertised, as are the roads in Austria and Germany. Any of the "roads you must ride" mentioned here, apply the Dragon Rule to it. Tuesday early in the morning will be a way different experience than midday on a Saturday. I will bet a weeks pay though that you come back talking about roads not mentioned here, that part of Europe is like that.

As far as flights go, I will respectfully disagree with some of the comments here.I have 120+ RT between the US and Europe. Two were on Icelandair, the latest 3 1/2 weeks ago when I flew from Greenland to Reykjavik to Boston . You can find competitive fares on British Airways, Lufthansa, Emirates, Swiss, Turkish Airways, Virgin, etc and get way better service for about the same price. JMHO.

I hope next July I am reading about your riding adventures!

I'll stop here

• Member Contributer

Good post. :beer:

You still need 2 x one-off breathalyser kits in France. No hi viz that I am aware of but they have recently outlawed any in-ear device that produces sound under your helmet. Not sure of the exact detail but this Nov when my mates & I go to France, I will not be using my Sena i/c.

General rule over here is if the centre-line is solid, don't cross it. If it is a broken line, you can but there may be triangular warning signs by the side of the road which override this.

• Member Contributer

The one-off breathanalyser (very cheap) are required so that when the police stop a drunk, he cannot say "how was I to know that I was drunk? You cannot fine me". Probalby some obsure loophole in French law needed to be plugged..

By requiring each vehicle to have an analyser, that argument will not stand...

• Member Contributer

Also in France you cannot have the photo radar locations on your GPS.

In the UK you can have the scameras on your GPS but it is illegal to have a radar or laser detector.

• Member Contributer

French Captain here :-)

You still need 2 x one-off breathalyser kits in France. No hi viz that I am aware of but they have recently outlawed any in-ear device that produces sound under your helmet. Not sure of the exact detail but this Nov when my mates & I go to France, I will not be using my Sena i/c.

General rule over here is if the centre-line is solid, don't cross it. If it is a broken line, you can but there may be triangular warning signs by the side of the road which override this.

You are required to have 2 breathalyser kits per vehicle, but there is no fine to enforce this rule :-)

From the 1st of January 2016, you will be required to also carry one high viz jacket (or waistcoat) with your bike, and to wear it in case you stop for an emergency. It is already mandatory for car drivers.

As for the intercoms, they are fine as long as you do not use in-ear headphones. Flat little speakers in the helmet are fine. The idea is you must not have sound producing devices in your ear canal, so earplugs are also fine.

As for the central line, do not cross it if it is solid. If there is a broken line on you side, it's to overtake if it safe to do so.

Also in France you cannot have the photo radar locations on your GPS.

Also true, but the GPS cannot be searched by the police or gendarmerie :-) Detectors and jammers are forbidden.

• Member Contributer

And there are POI files telling you that there is a "DANGER zone" ahead. zones that bear location-wise a striking resemblance with RADAR or SPEEDTRAP POI's files.....

So either rent (with the bike) or bring your own GPS device. The web has places where you can find Garmin EU maps..... just as there are US maps out there....

If money is an object, simply sell VFRDISCUSSION to a motorcycle gear company or so.... :goofy:

Here's some info re Scotland.

June is a good time - the kids are still in school, the weather mixed and the midges not too plentiful yet. Also the evenings are long.

BMW hire in Edinburgh: http://www.ridethehighlands.co.uk/rental-prices/#_=_They are 20 mins from the airport and 35' from me. F800?

Kawasaki hire in Kirkcaldy: http://www.kdykawasaki.com/bike_hire.php - @ 35' / 50'. Versys 650? - similar to SV650.

Those are the only ones I know of.

I should be able to offer support, depending on dates and my family activities. I can advise on routes too, having ridden most of the decent roads in the country.

Oh, Yokel, don't bring the silly helmet - it would not pass muster over here!

Archived