2000 Fifth Gen Fuel Management Questions

highsider989

Question

Hi All:

I've got a new to me 2000. Its got a k&n and will soon have a delvick on it. I want to look into a mapping system but do not seem to find much except maps in the download section. Do ya'll think I'll need something? Realistically I want the bike to run well but it is my street bike. I have another go faster bikes. I want your thoughts on Power commanders or other FI modules. What one would I get? I would like more power, who wouldn't but the bike will remain mostly stock. It will have an air filter and pipe, what can I expect from a fuel management system I'd be very happy with 100hp at the rear wheel.

14 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Probably will not get to that horsepower but will still run well without any change to the fuel . They will adjust somewhat for riding conditions and my suggestion would be to ride it like it is a bit and see how the bike runs as is .

• Member Contributer

If your Y2K's engine is in a good state of tune, you should be getting about what you're looking for out of it now. A Power Commander isn't going to make a significant difference in what it can put to the wheel. On the other hand, if you have rideability issues like stumbling or surging, then a PC would definitely be beneficial. My 5th gen runs beautifully without one. But if I didn't have one on my 6th gen, I would probably have gotten rid of it due to the rough running at low rpm. If I wanted my 5th gen to get off the line quicker I'd probably be more inclined to put a 45 tooth sprocket on it rather than a PC. YMMV.

• Member Contributer

Denny Fair, AKA Lifttruck on VFR Discussion had the full 2 Brother's exhaust headers and CF exhaust. With the Power Commander and K&N filter and work on the dyno to improve his mapping, his bike made 209 (oops it was really 109 hp on the dyno...mis-typed the first time) peak HP and a couple more foot pounds. I don't think you can get too much more than that with just a power commander and new full exhaust...the TB full exhaust will flow more air than a Delkevik.

Maybe Mohawk has some tips on his threads...but he has gone the route of having new cams ground...more lift and more overlap...should yield at least another 10-12hp if not more...but that's well beyond pipes and PC's...

Matt

, his bike made 209 peak HP and a couple more foot pounds.

Matt

Typo surely!!

My mates supercharged FiY only made 180 :wink:

Keep it stock, keep it simple.

• Member Contributer

, his bike made 209 peak HP and a couple more foot pounds.

Matt

Typo surely!!

My mates supercharged FiY only made 180 :wink:

Keep it stock, keep it simple.

It dynoed at 109...not 209....typo yes! Anyhow we all know that dyno measurements are all different. I can't remember what the before number whas...the delta between the two numbers is the important artifact, not the actual dyno number...right?

Matt

• Member Contributer

Get a PCV and an Autotune module--connects right up to the bike's harness. Then get someone to sort it out until it works...and let me know what was done, because I was never able to get that combo working on my Y2k! (PCIII USB works fine.)

Cheers,

• Member Contributer

Highsider iv'e got a 97 Aussie model 800 and have a k&n filter and Delkevic 18" low mount slip on can fitted. The bike runs ok, but iv'e ordered a pciii usb as i recon it could run better in the mid range area.

From what ive been told the power commander wont give you huge top end power increases but will give you better low range and mid range which is what i want.

You can download maps from dynojet for a similar setup but custom tunning is the best.

I live about 5hrs drive from my nearest dyno so a custom map for me is a planned event and long way away from happening.

If i ever get one ill load it up to the forum and give it a go before spending cash on dyno time.

Hopefully someone on this forum with a similar setup that may be able to share a map for you to try before you buy.

• Member Contributer

Hi All:

I've got a new to me 2000. Its got a k&n and will soon have a delvick on it. I want to look into a mapping system but do not seem to find much except maps in the download section. Do ya'll think I'll need something? Realistically I want the bike to run well but it is my street bike. I have another go faster bikes. I want your thoughts on Power commanders or other FI modules. What one would I get? I would like more power, who wouldn't but the bike will remain mostly stock. It will have an air filter and pipe, what can I expect from a fuel management system I'd be very happy with 100hp at the rear wheel.

Bought my 2000 used but it came with a K&N and a Hindle pipe. I don't have any fueling issues except a bit of a lean spot at 5000rpm when the engine is cold and the throttle is cranked mostly open. When it's warmed up, no problem. No idea what the horsepower output is, most likely 200-250. :goofy:

I've got '99 Aus spec VFR, Staintune (no DB killer), BMC filter (twice the surface area of K&N & OEM) and snorkel removed.

The problem is that most of the maps are to suit the US models, which are set for lower octane fuel.

After looking at various maps, and considering that I don’t use the restrictor on the Staintune I opted for the M101-703 European model, Remus Grand Prix slip-on exhaust, Stock or aftermarket airfilter. This map is designed for 98 octane.

Finally, read about the accelerator pump feature, so downloaded the software and set that up. Did a little digging around and found the following settings recommended.

• Sensitivity: 80%
  • Engine Revolutions: 30
  • % FuelChange : 15

How’s It Go? Much smoother, revs out much better, pulls harder all the way to the red line, lots of torque down low. Accelerator pump makes all of the difference, gives a real kick when you snap open the throttle.

• Member Contributer

i have an older PC on my 98 and back in the day was messing with maps i had downloaded, one map was called "track". i was using this same little 30 mile test route and can remember thinking the bike was a dog with this "track" map until i finally got to a spot where i could get the motor reving and sure enough it picked the front end up way higher in the range than it ever had before. guess i'm trying to say a PC can serve a usefull purpose.

Archived