Yss Rear Shock For Vf500F2

Dutchy

• Member Contributer

Upon buying my VF, I knew the rear shock was in a bad shape (after almost 30 years....)

Did a bit of research and found a shop that not only quoted me a good price and TAT, run by a man that used to race himself and for decades was the suspension man for GP teams that won WC's/worked in the industry.

A variety of brands are available for the VF so we discussed the options. Andre will work on/sell what the customer decides, be it Ohlins, Hagon, Hyperpro whatever.

P8269517_zpszl7khnlp.jpg

He found his old racer that had been stationary for 15 years, bought it back and restored it

P8269520_zpsqvmiew0s.jpg

and what did he fit to this beauty?

Right! YSS

P8269524_zpshe1twt4e.jpg

He visits the factory in Thailand regularly, he showed me some pictures of the factory. Very reassuring; I bought and fitted a Wilbers years ago and the build quality is on par if not better (Wilbers produced a poorly setup series, I had one, as did douglasthecook....).

Normal TAT is 4 weeks for units build in the factory; as andre stocks components, one could be made to order locally.

So, let's get the old one out shall we?

P8269506_zps60er5d8r.jpg

P8269507_zpsgz1ajlx8.jpg

The beauty and the beast....

P8269514_zps1jwkkby4.jpg

(that is coolant, not oil..)

and having checked it when it was still on the bike, what is your opinion on the OEM Andre??

P8269509_zpsff5ghvlr.jpg

Much nicer!!

P8269510_zpsuyytlomz.jpg

The shock has 10mm height adjustability, we settled for +3 (VF has a linkage system

P8269515_zpsdfcfenna.jpg

Luvverly!

P8269516_zpsyz9ovyxp.jpg

OEM RR, touch wood!!!

P8269505_zpsdzk9hyhy.jpg

In a back room

P8269521_zpsmhq8tk5a.jpg

Hurried back to avoid a massive rainstorm (failed...) but on the short stretch of curvy roads the difference was superb.

now, the front end stanchions are sticking a bit so that is on the list to be looked at (as are the head bearings..)

I put a Fox twin clicker in mine and misjudged the ride height. It was way too high (didnt count on such a wide range) that shock looks cery sell built.

Archived