Mpg's?

BoulderGT3

I've searched and while I see a lot of concerns about tank size I don't see anything consistent on MPG's. I'm heading to SW Colorado and Eastern Utah where finding gas can be an issue.

I've only had the bike for a short while but have averaged 45MPG. What is everyone else seeing on the way? Thanks Tom

I average shitty mpg. Every once in a while I'll get abysmal mpg's, but mostly it's just shitty. I'd kill for 45mpg!

In all honesty, I average 32/33 mpg for commuting and fun riding. I haven't got to tour on it yet.

• Member Contributer

Fuel range is the important number. If you're riding from Caliente to Tonopah, Nevada, knowing whether you can go 200 miles or only 190 is far more important than knowing mpg.

Most guys have no clue about their mileage because they keep shitty records. Keep a log and record odometer and fuel at every gas stop. Learn to refill to the same level.

Try to run as close to dry as you dare. If you never go deep into the reserve you'll never get a try sense of both the maximum range and the maximum fill.

Consumption is lower on long road trips as compared with commuting or running around town near home. Hours a day a highway speed is better than stop & go city traffic. In my experience at least 30% better mileage on trips.

Remember, ymmv - just as with tire life, different riders will get different results.

• Member Contributer

As you can seen below, 49.7mpg avg. With very exceptions I am going greater than 200 miles on each tank. Your 2010 has a little bit smaller tank though.

I have gotten 40+ mpg every tank for the 6000 miles I've put on the bike, touring or day riding. Best of 48 mpg a couple of times.

I've only put about 1000 miles on the VFR but that's what I've seen as well. I've only had the bike a couple of weeks so I was trying to see if 40 plus was that unusual. Thanks.

• Member Contributer

You don't have the Instantaneous/Average Fuel Consumption on the pre-12 models, do you? Is that a US thing or only on EU models? It's very handy. Turns into a miles-to-go-to-empty readout when it reaches 30 miles to go.

My normal 46-48mpg for my commute would need factoring for your smaller US gallons to be of any use, but my slightly larger tank gives me around 185-190 miles to empty when commuting.

i have never gotten over 40 mpg....was getting around 34-37 before my Fuelly app stopped working......i have been checking again since i did the reflash a few weeks ago and i'm getting 36,

since the reflash i have noticed that the gauge starts flashing at 134 miles as opposed to 125 miles pre-flash...and i've been riding it a bit harder since the reflash.....the engine def feels like it's running more efficiently now

I'm averaging 40mpg in mostly highway commute miles. In my18,000 miles I've seen everything from low 30's to mid-40's. I've never felt comfortable enough to stretch past 185 miles on a tank, and typically fuel up between 145-165 miles maybe 0.5 gallons left. Mine is a bone-stock 2010 model.

I get about 150 miles before my last fuel bar starts blinking on my 2010. It feels like my mileage has gotten better since my ECU re-flash... but it could be that I'm just not whacking the throttle open all the time anymore...

• Member Contributer

With over 54,000 miles, I average around 38 mpg. On the highway it's about 40 and if I get on it around 36. That has been consistent since day one.

Those who ride at higher elevations (CO, NM, AZ, etc.) are gonna see higher mpg number because of the thinner air... and less HP. There is no free lunch.

Down here at a few ft above Gulf of Mexico, I get right at 40mpg for general riding. I would have to work really hard, or be stuck in traffic really bad, for it to drop below 35mpg.

• Member Contributer

Those who ride at higher elevations (CO, NM, AZ, etc.) are gonna see higher mpg number because of the thinner air... and less HP. There is no free lunch.

Yes, true. I'll gladly give up some HP for a little more mpg.

• Member Contributer

Just got back from a second trip through SE corner of Utah and Colorado (SumSum3) and yes fuel stops can be a concern, depending on where you are riding. Is there a particular area of concern? One stretch of road that can test limits a bit is Blanding to Hankseville, UT. Especially if you are trying to do Natural Bridges park. My advice is to experiment a bit with range and consider a fuel container (just in case.) I know the 800 has better range than the 1200, but I had enough extra fuel left after this stretch that I think you ought to be OK even on the 1200. Make sure you fill up on the centerstand for those really hard pushes. Get every once of fuel in there that you can. And the way you ride can affect things too. Slow down a bit on the straights and it helps.

Happy to share fuel tips on where to fill up if you have specific route in mind. Rode most of it between this trip and last one in 2012.

• Member Contributer

Have you thought about buying one of those fuel cans made for carrying a few more litres of fuel in case of emergency? Might get you out of a jam if you get an extra 20 miles after you run dry with what's in the tank. If you are touring and are loaded up you might not even notice the extra weight. And you could leave empty in parts of the trip where there are more gas stations.

C

Yes, true. I'll gladly give up some HP for a little more mpg.

I would gladly give up a bunch of HP for the fantastic roads and scenery y'all have over there (CO, NM, AZ). :cool:

• Member Contributer

So I started keeping track. Last 6 tanks averaged to 34.4 mpg, with a high of 37.87mpg and a low of 31.15. Always premium gas, always filled to the same spot.

Filled it on the way to work today, and I'll ride tamely for this tank to see if I'm just too throttle happy.

- Dan

I'm getting 29.4 in US mpg. That's probably 60% commuting and the rest highway and back roads. I've recorded every fuel up since day one. I've done 14,600 miles. I have a PCV and a z-bomb, all else is bone stock. The consumption did not change when I added the PCV. Maybe it's my size - 6'3", 220 lbs. Sigh. Still fun though!

• Member Contributer

On my last tank I averaged ~48 mpg( Canadian gallon/4.54 liters). I usually travel around 120 kph on the highway. 241 kilometers and a little over 14 liters. I had 2 bars left on the fuel guage when I filled it up.

Archived