Power Commander

cmlease

• 2 weeks later...

That is an interesting question... I've finally test one whitout honda's driver and I found it less powerfull than my old 2000 which is having 116000km...

If a power commander can improve that much, that'd be a nice buy :happy:

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

From experiences of 6th gen owners with the same VTEC motor, large HP gains using a PC are elusive. PC's are best to smooth out throttle response issues - stumbling / surging, etc that are common problem with 6th gens. The 8th gen may have those refined out, but significant HP gains are unlikely.

3 more ponies and improved throttle response sounds like a decent upgrade as this bike could use a few more hp, how about with a slip on, airfilter and pc? Anybody do those mods yet to the 8th generation vfr?

I have an appointment with dynojet in preston in a couple of weeks to provide them my bike for the purposes of generating a map. It will cover the 8th gen, honda sports kit akro can and k&n air filter. The best map available at the moment is from dynojet's US site, it has baffle out exhaust but stock air, there is a noticeable improvement however, watch this space for the full map and hopefully more power.

My 1999 Audi has separate (factory) maps for 95 and 98. Never tried 95 because I don't trust the knock sensors on such an old car, but I read the difference is not noticeable.

On the other hand, foreign bikes are tuned for 91, which hasn't been available here for decades.

• 2 weeks later...

Right then, My ride to Preston happened yesterday, Fair play to the bike giving me relative comfort for 460 miles, 8 hrs riding was looking like a challenge but was surprisingly easy.

Now the results, Firstly, the US map was close according to Richard, it did run rich at some points though losing power as a result.

Not to worry, the UK map will be out shortly. :cheerleader:

My bike was a happy guinea pig.

Torque went from 57.73 to 58.92 ft-ibs and HP was 102.91, now it's 105.92. It doesn't sound like much, and to be honest, it's not, however having that power available throughout the range unlike before has given the bike a much stronger pull in any gear.

Considering the numbers of this dyno test on a stock interceptor, it may be that the sports pack alone makes the biggest difference.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/07/16/2014-honda-vfr800f-interceptor-sportbike-motorcycle-review-photos-specifications-performance-numbers/

The power commander has smoothed out some flat spots evident in the graph and reduced the dip that appears when the vtec engages.

My ride home was fun in places, able to rag the bike with quite alot more power in places where it wasn't before.

The US graph also shows power dropping off sharply at 10k, even without the PCV mine keeps going and doesn't start to drop until 10.6k at which point it's a much slower decline, not sure if this is due to different RON in fuels or the akro can. For more comparison, at 11k the US test shows about 90hp, mine was showing 104hp

As soon as Richard sends me the soft copies, I'll post them up.

The map will be for the akro can available with the sports pack (baffle out) and a fresh Honda OEM or relatively new K&N air filter. Fuel was standard 95 RON.

I hope this is of some help to people considering their options, I'd say one won't work without the other so you'd need the sports pack or at least a good exhaust to bring the power out and the PCV to smooth and enhance the delivery.

All in all, very happy and well worth the money.

Edit: Forgot to mention, 70mph avg on the way there getting 53mpg according to fuelio, the way back was not completed as I filled up 40 miles in after the bike had been on the dyno and I still have some fuel left, the jury's out on the new map but looking at the dash readout, not alot different at motorway speeds.

Edit: Forgot to mention, 70mph avg on the way there getting 53mpg according to fuelio, the way back was not completed as I filled up 40 miles in after the bike had been on the dyno and I still have some fuel left, the jury's out on the new map but looking at the dash readout, not alot different at motorway speeds.

Thanks for the description, both quantitative and qualitative, of what the PC has done for your bike. Will be interested to hear about its affect on fuel economy-- though really that's secondary.

The KTM Super Duke has caught my eye and sure, 1290cc is going to put out some torque in V-twin format, but continuing to read about how smooth the Gen 8 fueling is and even better with some mapping work, makes me think this could be a viable replacement for my Gen 6 ('02).

Not a great deal, I've been told most factory filters made today give pretty much the same airflow as after market ones. The main difference is that the aftermarket ones don't need changing and clog less regularly than the oem. This is info given to me by Richard at dynojet. Also, I recently saw a YouTube video by mighty car mods about air filters, little difference was found on dyno tests. I think the likes of k&n and pipercross use facts that were true a number of years ago but it's not the case today. Considering the honda sports pack doesn't have a different filter would suggest likewise.

• Member Contributer

Not a great deal, I've been told most factory filters made today give pretty much the same airflow as after market ones. The main difference is that the aftermarket ones don't need changing and clog less regularly than the oem. This is info given to me by Richard at dynojet. Also, I recently saw a YouTube video by mighty car mods about air filters, little difference was found on dyno tests. I think the likes of k&n and pipercross use facts that were true a number of years ago but it's not the case today. Considering the honda sports pack doesn't have a different filter would suggest likewise.

How would a filter with the same area clog less regularly unless it was filtering less effectively??

How would a filter with the same area clog less regularly unless it was filtering less effectively??

A bit of reading for you. http://www.knfilters.com/filter_facts.aspx?pkid=2882276&rw=1#FACTS

Some of it is possibly exaggerated for marketing but it gives you an idea of the difference.

Here we are.

An email from the man at Dynojet today had this info also. "It is worth noting that the "before" runs in the lower end would be less if the bikes o2 sensors were active as we would see the bike running at lambda 1 and hence dropping power."

100%

100%20zero%20map%20VS%20mapped.jpg

20%

20%20zero%20map%20VS%20mapped.jpg

60%

60%20zero%20map%20VS%20mapped.jpg

10%

10%20zero%20map%20VS%20mapped.jpg

40% (not sure what the break in data at 8.7k is)

40%20zero%20map%20VS%20mapped.jpg

Hopefully this is of some use to anyone interested in investing in a power commander.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update, fuel economy wise.

Nothing has changed, the bike runs around 43 mpg as an average,

The best I've seen since the mapping is 47.16mpg over a few days of running at motorway speeds and some town riding,

Most of a week in town not really going above 40 mph gave me 37.97mpg

I'd expect to see mid to high 50s as before if taken on a solid motorway run at 70-80 all the way.

• 1 year later...

Hi

On 20/11/2015 at 1:04 PM, phatstorage said:
Here we are.

An email from the man at Dynojet today had this info also. "It is worth noting that the "before" runs in the lower end would be less if the bikes o2 sensors were active as we would see the bike running at lambda 1 and hence dropping power."

100%

100%20zero%20map%20VS%20mapped.jpg

Hi, i did the bench the other day and landed on 96,8 hp and torque 72.41, i wonder how you can be ca 9hp over me, my dynotest measure rear wheelHP

Do you have any idea why im so low?

20170310_173953.jpg

• Member Contributer
36 minutes ago, Loftur said:

Hi

Hi, i did the bench the other day and landed on 96,8 hp and torque 72.41, i wonder how you can be ca 9hp over me, my dynotest measure rear wheelHP

Do you have any idea why im so low?

You can't compare runs from different dynamometers like that.  There are too many uncontrolled variables to make any meaningful conclusions.  One thing I did notice is that his operator was using DIN correction vs SAE on yours so I would make a pretty safe bet that the operators were using different correction factors.

It is my conservative view that meaningful results can only really be gathered on the same dyne with the same operator under the same environmental conditions.  The "same environmental conditions" we often have to bend on as tuning and mod installation takes time.  Think about how much 1/4 mile times can vary based on environmental and track conditions.

4 minutes ago, MadScientist said:

You can't compare runs from different dynamometers like that.  There are too many uncontrolled variables to make any meaningful conclusions.  One thing I did notice is that his operator was using DIN correction vs SAE on yours so I would make a pretty safe bet that the operators were using different correction factors.

It is my conservative view that meaningful results can only really be gathered on the same dyne with the same operator under the same environmental conditions.  The "same environmental conditions" we often have to bend on as tuning and mod installation takes time.  Think about how much 1/4 mile times can vary based on environmental and track conditions.

Thank you very much for your reply, it sounds realistic.

I had the same dip as you around 6k, my dynojet-prof predicts the bike will run like a Honda now.

Good evening.

• 10 months later...

your best bet to find out if your bike is running down on power or not is to go to a dragstrip.  

Get a good run in with no slip ups,  and your top speed will be highly indicative on how your engine is doing.
you can get a crappy start and run a bad ET,  but your top speed will be (mostly) unchanged.

I'm betting your bike is fine and you just did testing on a power hungry dyno vs. some of the other graphs you've seen out there. 

Archived