Coolant Leak From Hose To Wax Thingy 2000 Vfr800Fi, Replace Hoses?

highsider989

I was tracking down a coolant leak on a new to me 2000 VFR. What a chore. Looks like the PO that had the bike just pinched or nicked a hose from the water pump to the wax thingy on top of the throttle body. The bike would lose pressure at 15.5 PSI but would hold just under that. It wasn't overheating but I could smell coolant and in heavy traffic it did run hot. Looks like its been leaking a while. I see some dried coolant on some hoses but that could be old. Anything else to check?

So while the throttle body is off the bike should I replace the hoses in the V of the motor? The bike is 15 years old. I know I need to change out the lines to the wax thingy to be safe.

Anything else I should do while i'm in there? I'm keeping this bike forever.

Thanks...

Total for the hoses is about $97.00 shipped..

So here is some eye candy so I can entertain you.

Pic one, there is the nick, that bastard...post-33624-0-72944300-1439507835.jpg

Pic two the big Vee...post-33624-0-13937600-1439507837.jpg

Pic three, I sure hope i never develop a vacume leak, holy cow thats a bunch of hoses...post-33624-0-18385200-1439507838.jpg

• Member Contributer

So here is some eye candy so I can entertain you.

Pic one, there is the nick, that bastard...attachicon.gifIMG_0765.JPG

Pic two the big Vee...attachicon.gifIMG_0767.JPG

Pic three, I sure hope i never develop a vacume leak, holy cow thats a bunch of hoses...attachicon.gifIMG_0768.JPG

Holy Medusa batman! +1

The one hose I need is on backorder from Big Red, damn, I ordered up all the others. I'll make a new hose to the wax thingy, I have time as it'll be six days till the hoses arrive. I'll drain the coolant, change the oil and filter and put the new Q3's on the wheels while I wait...

Damn that was a Very Fine Ride for a few days, pun intended....

Ok so I went a bit deeper than I expected to...I hope the galfer Stainless Line kit gets here before the hoses. The bike is in perfect shape for that job.

I'll get the tires done Friday, new Q3's, I like the corners, what can I say. post-33624-0-43857400-1439513664.jpg

Digging deeper I found another hose with some nicks in it, this hose is on order. post-33624-0-66959400-1439513661.jpg

Here she will sit for a bit...Darn I want to ride...Looks like Ill get seat time on the SV..post-33624-0-73360100-1439513663.jpg

Since you are that far in I would advise you to change the thermostat. Unless you have already done so. It's right there in the bottom of the valley..

Real easy to do now and known to fail on theses bikes.

Since you are that far in I would advise you to change the thermostat. Unless you have already done so. It's right there in the bottom of the valley..

Real easy to do now and known to fail on theses bikes.

I know, its only 25 bucks but I know this one works. I did order the O rings as well, I figure if i'm this deep I might as well do it all.. Ugh, I'll get one..as I am replacing all the hoses any way, good point.

• Member Contributer

i replaced my hoses last winter and used the old clamps, and had one fail when i reused, that i did not notice until it was leaking under the throttle bodies. $10.00 and 3 miserable hrs later, i wished i had used new hose clamps.

• Member Contributer

As the PO, I feel the OP's pain. I thought I had fixed that coolant leak--clearly not. Sorry about that! I had that off and on about three times and it's not for the faint of heart.

Thermostat was replaced in the 08-09 timeframe. But if you're in there anyway . . .

Enjoy your new ride. I see you made good on your promise of buying a whole bunch of stuff for it.

As the PO, I feel the OP's pain. I thought I had fixed that coolant leak--clearly not. Sorry about that! I had that off and on about three times and it's not for the faint of heart.

Thermostat was replaced in the 08-09 timeframe. But if you're in there anyway . . .

Enjoy your new ride. I see you made good on your promise of buying a whole bunch of stuff for it.

Hi, If you were in there three times i get it, not that fun. The hoses had small pin holes just past the clamps. I decided to tackle it after I saw some coolant on the left engine cover. So since you replaced the thermostat I'll call it good.. New tires today. I'm not complaining its a super clean bike and I'm happy with the purchase.

• Member Contributer

I did not take it as a complaint. At some point I had to call it good--it was turning into too much of a science project. But I'm sure there will be things here and there that need attention.

Today's science project--replace the carb on a Honda Metropolitan scooter. It's a 2007 with 125 miles on it. I need to start using my toys more.

Well the new buns are mounted. Got oil and brake fluid..

Has anyone removed the wax thingy from a 2000-2001 and installed a manual choke/enrichener? I was thinking that this would reduce the complexity by eliminating two hoses. Any thoughts, has it been done before?

• Member Contributer

The thermostat in there is now 6-7 years old. For the $25, I'd replace it so the one in there doesn't crap out in 2 more years.

I would think you could use the components off of the 98-99 VFRs. This would require a new left side switch block, cable, and whatever holds the cable and hooks it into the starter valve circuit at the least.

• Member Contributer

Dont forget to clean your wax thingie as wel :goofy: l. Mine was totally bunged up cleaned it and worked like a charm afterwards

• Member Contributer

Dont forget to clean your wax thingie as wel :goofy: l. Mine was totally bunged up cleaned it and worked like a charm afterwards

what did you do to clean it?

I was wondering the same thing.

So, Ive ordered my second danmoto pipe. It's strange that each danmoto pipe is a very fiddly thing one each bike. On my gsxr1000 it took 3 hours to fit and I wasn't very happy. On my 2000 vfr it's fiddly again. Not a straightforward fitment. I think there is a difference between the 98-99 to the 2000-2001 bikes due to the catalytic converters. I needed to add washers to make it fit. I'll make real spacers to make it correct. the rear cowl contacts the passenger peg but I will but some rubber spacers to keep the rubbing to a minimum.

post-33624-0-96951600-1439948271.jpg

Here is the nearly fitted pipe. the finish on the pipe is nice but on the later gen5 VFR's I wouldn't call it a precision fit. For the price I find this acceptable as it's half the price of other slip ons. Once real spacers are made its similar to some high mount pipes I've seen.

the dunlop Q3's are fitted. Still waiting on the coolant hoses. I had to make one as it's on backorder and I'm not going to wait six months to ride my VFR.

post-33624-0-82979100-1439948272.jpg

The DanMoto is going back. I'm just not satisfied.

Look what I got.post-33624-0-37483500-1440441509.jpg

I'm going to make this project two. I want to ride. I got my speed bleeders also. Those will go on and I'll replace the fluid before I take the time to change all the lines.

Archived