Small Tick In The Motor?

I'm not sure if I'm hearing things or not, but it sounds like my bike has started to make a small ticking sound. You can't hear it when it sits at idle but when you start cruising around 30 mph you can hear something that just doesn't seem right. There is about 17k now on the bike. As many of you guys know, I'm sure you have seen my rebuild post, I've got a 1990 that I rescued from a crash and flood. I got a different motor off eBay and i never had the valves checked. Could this be the small tick I hear, something to do with the valves? I have read many people not checking these for 60k miles so I didn't think to check when I got this motor. It rides really well and cruises down the highway great. It seems to have more than enough power. How do I go about checking if the valves need an adjustment?

• Member Contributer

I remember that - loved that story. Since it's only happening when in motion could it be something to do with the chain / sprockets - tight link, etc?

• Member Contributer

Check for a nail in a tyre ! Always a good bet for a rolling tick.

Remember to check your bike for Lyme Disease !

• Member Contributer

Hey snowman11, is ticking engine speed dependent or wheel speed dependent? That might shed some clues to where to investigate. If the sound starts always at say 3000 rpm, regardless of gear, then perhaps engine issue vs a chain (stiff link), sprocket, transmission, loose cush drive, etc

Also, is it just cruising with minimal load, or under acceleration, as well?

• Member Contributer

If the ticking is cam speed then see if it goes away with a rise in rpms... if it does the its probably a loose tappet... if the ticking rises with rpms then it could be a broken valve spring... if the ticking is crankshaft speed then it could be a stuck piston ring... a compression test should verify and pin point the cylinder...

I know the chain was brand new two years ago and the sprockets are original to the motor and then original to the rear wheel. When I get back from vacation I'll try and see if I can borrow a go-pro and see if I can get a good sound clip. I can take one with my phone, but I doubt you will be able to hear something. Like I said, I've done nothing with the motor, but the shop did a compression test before it was put in the bike and it was good.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a video with my I-phone and you can hear some kind of noise when I rev the motor. I just got done taking it for a short ride. I tried to upload the video but it was too big. I'll have to take a shorter video. The bike seemed to run good though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

You still have your "pair" valves on it? Some people confuse that 'tapping noise' with something more serious. Post your findings. How does she run?

• 3 weeks later...

No I don't have the "pair" valves on it. They were already blocked off when I got my "new" motor. The bike has been running great ever since I got it on the road last year. I'd like another vfr 750 owner to listen to the bike, but I don't think there is anyone who owns one in my area. I only know of one person that has a vfr and he has a 2007.

Archived