How To Sell Hard Cases Without Key

Tamworth

I think any competent locksmith should be able to rekey the cylinders to the new owner's ignition key.

That's what I did, but the guy who sold me my saddlebags shipped me a (copied) key to open the bags... It was up to me to disassemble them and find a locksmith to re-key it.

Thx for the replies. I think I'll just hang them on the bike when I trade it in. I'm getting a good offer on the trade and they don't really care if it has bags or not. Don't really want to go through the effort of putting them online, taking messages, and packing them and shipping. After 25 years on VFRs best to make a clean break

• Member Contributer

If they don't care if it has bags or not, sell them with a copy of your key. I bought a pair from a wonderful gentleman I found here and he sent me 2 copied keys to use with the bags (they were matched to his bike).

I had my Honda dealer re-key them to match my ignition key for $89. Well worth it to me. But CALL FIRST - if they don't have a loose bag of tumblers like my dealer had, they will likely need parts...

Look what the bags are selling for - I've seen used bags in good shape sell for $700-$1000 per set. Why give them away? Sell them cheaply for local pickup only. They will sell.

Good luck with next bike!

_Dan

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but have been following for some time. Just acquired 7th gen and really enjoying it. Been looking for set of used OEM side bags for months , no luck. Finally caved and bought new. Apparently, I've messed up keying one of the bags! Lock core went in but won't open. Took it to locksmith, they can't open it without drilling it out. Neither Dealer nor Honda Canada can see replacement part numbers in the system for new inner key set, even though I've provided part numbers from the locks I have in hand. ( these bags were manufactured in Spain and I believe these are euro part numbers, not from USA) . So, I'm currently euchred - can't put bags on bike, can't drill out lock because I can't find replacement core, locksmith can't pick the locks (although I've seen several posts where they have been successfully opened and rejected by locksmiths ...) help!!!

I'm shocked that the dealers do not have lock puller tools and replacement cores so they can rekey these things..

I understand that possibly certain Givi cores will work - if anyone has any ideas, or can get their hands on replacement locks, please send them my way! Also trying to source euro replacements - will advise. If anyone can recommend a locksmith in the

Toronto area that has experience with these locks, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks!

Many thanks, crazy brother! Unfortunately, I have all the installation instructions in hand, however there is nothing provided to guide you if something goes wrong , post install, or how to remove and replace existing cores. If you find anything, that would be very helpful.

Just received email from David Silver Spares USA, and they cannot identify the Honda part numbers that were on the bags containing the locks...looks like these are only included in the kit and not available separately. More excellent news!

• Member Contributer

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but have been following for some time. Just acquired 7th gen and really enjoying it. Been looking for set of used OEM side bags for months , no luck. Finally caved and bought new. Apparently, I've messed up keying one of the bags! Lock core went in but won't open. Took it to locksmith, they can't open it without drilling it out. Neither Dealer nor Honda Canada can see replacement part numbers in the system for new inner key set, even though I've provided part numbers from the locks I have in hand. ( these bags were manufactured in Spain and I believe these are euro part numbers, not from USA) . So, I'm currently euchred - can't put bags on bike, can't drill out lock because I can't find replacement core, locksmith can't pick the locks (although I've seen several posts where they have been successfully opened and rejected by locksmiths ...) help!!!

I'm shocked that the dealers do not have lock puller tools and replacement cores so they can rekey these things..

I understand that possibly certain Givi cores will work - if anyone has any ideas, or can get their hands on replacement locks, please send them my way! Also trying to source euro replacements - will advise. If anyone can recommend a locksmith in the

Toronto area that has experience with these locks, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks!

Does the 7th gen use the wave keys too? There are special picks designed for the Honda wave locks. Google is your friend. Order one and give it to a good locksmith, let 'em go to town. Or be super extra suave and watch some YouTube videos about lock picking, then try it yourself!

Actually, first things first... Watch some videos and pay special attention to the technique called raking. There is some chance that even the wrong key can work if you have the right touch.

Probably worth mentioning that to get at the part of the core that you need to reach to release the core once it has been picked, you have to totally disassemble the lock and handle mechanism from the inside of the bags. Total PITA.

Archived