Dmr Sag Reference

• Member Contributer

Decided to measure sag today on the 1200. Had DMr respring and valve my stock forks and shock back in November. I bolted them up and headed out for a long road trip. It was such an improvement with Jamie's settings and mods, I made no changes...that is until today. Felt a few tweaks were in order after some recent canyon rides. So, ran through the sag first and was a bit surprised. Front was about 46mm, rear was 37mm. Front preload was set at 2-lines showing, or 6mm. Based on the 46mm sag, I added more preload by tightening it to 4mm. Trying to get it close to 30mm.

Rear was pretty close, so I added one click of preload. Left compression the same front and rear for now. I'll try to get it back out tomorrow to see if it made an improvement.

BTW, I weigh in at 185 lbs.

Anybody else measure sag on the 1200?

• Member Contributer

Decided to measure sag today on the 1200. Had DMr respring and valve my stock forks and shock back in November. I bolted them up and headed out for a long road trip. It was such an improvement with Jamie's settings and mods, I made no changes...that is until today. Felt a few tweaks were in order after some recent canyon rides. So, ran through the sag first and was a bit surprised. Front was about 46mm, rear was 37mm. Front preload was set at 2-lines showing, or 6mm. Based on the 46mm sag, I added more preload by tightening it to 4mm. Trying to get it close to 30mm.

Rear was pretty close, so I added one click of preload. Left compression the same front and rear for now. I'll try to get it back out tomorrow to see if it made an improvement.

BTW, I weigh in at 185 lbs.

Anybody else measure sag on the 1200?

Are you talking about, static sag, or rider sag.

• Member Contributer

Good question. My measurements were of sag with rider on board.

I've seen static sag and rider sag used synonymously for this, and do this myself often. Though the term rider sag seems to me to be very clear. I use the term free sag for the sag measurement of the bike settled on its own weight, but have seen this called static sag too. Anyway, the sag measurements I listed are a bit out of the "norm" for rider/static sag based on the 25-30mm rule of thumb. They would be very problematic if they were the fee sag, as it would suggest Jamie missed the mark with overly stiff springs, but I know this isn't the case.

BTW, I meant l left rebound unchanged, not compression...since Honda only gave us half the solution without a compression adjustment.

• Member Contributer

Front was about 46mm, rear was 37mm.

I also got 46mm rider sag (also called ride height) on my front. That's with the stock fork springs and three lines showing.

I'm sending the forks to Traxxion next week for a new cartridge and spring install. I told them that my stock fork springs were slightly too soft (by about 6-10mm of sag).

My rear spring was 50mm (at the middle preload setting), too soft by about 5-15mm (Ohlins recommends 35-45mm for a shaft drive). I'm installing an Ohlins rear shock this week with a -79 (1085lb/in) spring--that's one step stiffer than the factory Ohlins spring.

I'm also 185lb.

Archived