Golden / Silver State 2015 - 8/29 & 8/30 Kernville, Ca

BrianF

• Member Contributer

HOLY SHNIKES! Looks like today is going to be a real scorcher, supposed to be in the triple digits in the desert areas! Looks like I'll be riding through the core of the heat during the peek too. Unfortunately, I have a little too much work to finish up before I can leave today, although the wife said I don't have wait for her to come home before I leave, still might be leaving at the same time :unsure:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Wear your perf and ventilated gear, powder up the boys, and wear a camelback even maybe run down to the sporting goods and het one of those cooling neck bandana towel things.

This is one of those perfect moments where if I was off work tomorrow I would have stumbled on this thread and been able to go. But not this time. Be safe and have fun. I will look forward to the ride report and pictures.

TC and I haven't left yet either. Wilting at the thought of heat, let alone the heat itself.

VFR Capt too bad man, we would've loved to have ya there.

• Member Contributer

Wear your perf and ventilated gear, powder up the boys, and wear a camelback even maybe run down to the sporting goods and het one of those cooling neck bandana towel things.

This is one of those perfect moments where if I was off work tomorrow I would have stumbled on this thread and been able to go. But not this time. Be safe and have fun. I will look forward to the ride report and pictures.

Great minds think alike. I already have the neck cooling deals from Revit, the perked textile gear and the camel back! Just stopped for gas and to take a break from the heat...onward and upward soon!

• Member Contributer

5pm, just landed in Kernville...the snowpack is a little thin this year.

Looks like I'm the 3rd vfr in the Kernville Inn parking lot. Time for a shower and then a beer, intravenously if possible!

• Member Contributer

Another fine ride on the books! Made it home ~2:30P after leaving the group in Oakhurst at 10A. Bee lined it straight home with one stop in Bakersfield for gas and a quick break.

Nice to meet some new riders along with some familiar ones. Thanks Brian for putting this together!

Cheers,

D

• Member Contributer

What no pictures?

I always seem to forget to break out the camera when I'm riding. I took a lot of mental pics though. Besides, Brian is the photographer of the group! Haven't had a chance to decompress yet and check the GoPro for footage. Had an issue this morning it said there was an SD error!

Great ride indeed, I think everyone made it home safe.

Shoutouts to TC and St. Stephen for running the whole thing, and to Rich for letting me ride his 750.

Good roads, good riding, good people. Can't ask for more than that.

Pics coming on Wednesday or Thursday. Off to shop for a radiator guard haha

• Member Contributer

This pic captures the essence of our Sunday, perfect. It was one of those zen days that reminds me why I love this sport. Brain thanks for organizing the ride, enjoyed riding with you and TC and meeting St Stephen. Still amazed on our impeccable timing in Sonora. Two groups coming from 3+ hrs away meet at essentially the same time.

DSC04910

• Member Contributer

Nice work as always Brian! Maybe I can make time this weekend to filter through that GoPro footage, of course I say that about every ride I capture! I think I still only have the raw unedited footage of the ride 2 years ago!

Thanks Duc. I'm much better/faster at editing photos - I think it's been a couple years since I put together a legitimate ride video. Just takes too long.

Anyway, here are the rest of them.

21110984051_d8f3086d97_b.jpg

20915168560_421423654f_b.jpg

20480624794_46bc24a585_b.jpg

21093129592_afe029094c_b.jpg

21093115952_f79bf875e6_b.jpg

21093124222_ef3a1b5657_b.jpg

20915294878_b4f5a1873b_b.jpg

21076980516_98cbce9452_b.jpg

21076968686_d454e6b8da_b.jpg

21110849341_957f4feacf_b.jpg

21076905876_f48a4bf52a_b.jpg

20480468314_2d23d9c389_b.jpg

20915159648_3bddc69329_b.jpg

20480390994_404459a952_b.jpg

20915066068_91c450ed0a_b.jpg

21110637481_88de3913a8_b.jpg

20914831240_a874a9ba99_b.jpg

20914817960_4bbdcf323c_b.jpg

21076694386_e0a608838d_b.jpg

A slightly bittersweet ride for me as that'll be my last trip on the 7th gen. If you know anyone who wants to buy a DCT...

• Member Contributer

Great pics of a great trip, with a really great crew. I'm pretty sure that I have never packed that many fun roads into 48 hours before last weekend! Thanks Brian.

I think the last pic is my favorite. Those passes through Wentworth riding with (well, OK, actually behind) you and TC were a blast. And no, I didn't run it again Monday, just had the pleasure of lane-splitting through the Sacramento construction behind two idiots on HD's who had to stop and yell at every car that didn't move over fast enough...back to reality!

• Member Contributer

Enjoyed those, nice to have a photographer along. They are all good, but I like the action pic of my 2nd gen with your 7th gen in the background. The tar snake even says sexy. The close up of the bikes lined up on Monitor turned out really good to. I think it might be time to break down and finally get a DSLR. Nice lean angle BTW.

• Member Contributer

Yes, great ride while it lasted for me! Thanks Brian, for organizing the trip! It was good to meet and ride with Brian, Tristan, Darryl, and Noel, as well as meeting Jeff and seeing his super nice ride. I wish I could have finished the ride and been able to get to know you more and ride with you guys a few more days. Brian, your pictures are making me sad that I missed the best parts of the ride, and you even caught the look of disgust on my face in the gas station picture, as I knew at that point my ride was over. I will be practicing on Tunitas Creek Road as it seems I really need to work on the tight stuff - you guys tore it up on the type of roads I usually shy away from.

I saved around $1,200 on the towing and fixed the radiator, which saved almost another $600. So I decided to send my ECM off to Don Guhl, and de-cat my pipe since the radiator was out, and the Jetex Y-pipe has been sitting in my toolbox for over a month now. The egg I used to seal the leak washed out easily with citrus degreaser, so no issue there - now you know it works! Already having withdrawls not being able to ride the 1200, I guess the 3rd gen will have to do for now.

Looking forward to future rides and/or VFR get togethers, if any of you guys are going, I'm in as well!

Thanks again!

Jim

• Member Contributer

Jim, glad the egg trick worked and you were able to get home safe and sound. Good trick to know and glad it didn't do any harm to the engine. Hopefully we can all do this again next year and maybe even have all of us do the full route! It was nice to meet you and hope to hear/read about your 1200 mods soon.

Thanks for the compliments. BTW if you want full-rez versions (as well as all the photos of you that didn't make my cut) then PM me your email. I'll put them all on Dropbox.

Nice lean angle BTW.

That was tame compared to the rest of the weekend. And re the DSLR - just remember it's the person holding the camera, not the camera. I know that sounds a bit pretentious coming from me, but it's true. I know people with $4000 cameras who take shit photos - and I also know a lady who's sold $100k worth of prints and shoots with a Canon PowerShot. A good camera gives you more options, but it'll actually make you take worse photos if you don't know what to do with those options.

Think of it like a motorbike: you could get on a 2007 CBR600RR and be fast right away. If you got on a 1299 Panigale, you'd need a lot of time to figure out power modes, ABS levels, traction control, back torque limiting, quickshift settings etc etc. Ultimately you'll be much, much faster, but only if you know how to use all that crap.

Lastly, Jim good to hear that everything worked out (sort of). Considering how badly that all could've gone, kind of made lemonade out of lemons. Enjoyed riding with you, and rest assured that's not the last NorCal VFRD ride. Probably not even for this year. Bring the 3rd...

• Member Contributer

I've teethed on an old SLR that is probably an antique now. Old school, no autofucus, manual shutter, 35mm film. Thats going back a few years, but good way to learn the basics. Sending PM for full size pics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Well I enjoyed this report. I actually rode the Sonora and Tioga pass routes on my VFR in mid August. As beautiful a ride as it was I couldn't help to think howm much more I would have enjoyed it being with a group of riders. Did somebody tip over and break their radiator? Things happen but that's a bummer. We had a rider pin his bike into the rock hillside at the beginning of our OC to Coyucos road trip. Patched his formerly pristine RWB with duct tape and on we went.

You guys have my attention doing some real riding. Will check back here more often maybe post a ride of my own.

Cheers all.

Well I enjoyed this report. I actually rode the Sonora and Tioga pass routes on my VFR in mid August. As beautiful a ride as it was I couldn't help to think howm much more I would have enjoyed it being with a group of riders. Did somebody tip over and break their radiator? Things happen but that's a bummer. We had a rider pin his bike into the rock hillside at the beginning of our OC to Coyucos road trip. Patched his formerly pristine RWB with duct tape and on we went.

You guys have my attention doing some real riding. Will check back here more often maybe post a ride of my own.

Cheers all.

Random rock punctured a 7th gen radiator - definitely not my fault for leading us down that goat path.

We definitely do plenty of real riding...sometimes too real haha.

Archived