Golden / Silver State 2015 - 8/29 & 8/30 Kernville, Ca

BrianF

• Member Contributer

Looks like a good time to be had - I'm in, as long as I get a hall pass from the wife. You guys don't ride crazy fast, do you?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Looks like a good time to be had - I'm in, as long as I get a hall pass from the wife. You guys don't ride crazy fast, do you?

One man's crazy is another man's mellow! To be honest we usually ride our own ride but never leave anyone behind!

• Member Contributer

I may be able to join you hoodlums after SumSum. I'll be leaving Montrose Fri. 8/21, heading west through so. UT. Moab, Capital Reef, Zion. Was going to Yosemite but I'd love to ride with some local knowledge and you folks might be worth the extra miles. ;) I'd be camping and somewhat reluctant to do a fast, "performance" pace. I would try to keep up but at my own pace.

Terry

One man's crazy is another man's mellow! To be honest we usually ride our own ride but never leave anyone behind!

Truth. Some of us are quick, yeah. But by no means reckless or dangerous - there are all sorts of paces so don't let that be a deterrent.

I just like to ride really fast so I can get to photo spots faster. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Hotels are booked. Staying at the Kernville Inn Fri night and Shaver Lake Village Sat. Looking forward to a little vacation time!

These will be new roads for me so I will be more in tour mode and taking in the scenery.

Hotels are booked. Staying at the Kernville Inn Fri night and Shaver Lake Village Sat. Looking forward to a little vacation time!

These will be new roads for me so I will be more in tour mode and taking in the scenery.

Nice! All hotel-bookers take note and book where Rich did.

• Member Contributer

Late to the party, but I'm in. I've booked rooms where Rich did.

Looks like two great routes--thanks Brian for pushing and planning. Maybe you'll finally get a photo published on VFRD!

Late to the party, but I'm in. I've booked rooms where Rich did.

Looks like two great routes--thanks Brian for pushing and planning. Maybe you'll finally get a photo published on VFRD!

Nice - better late than never.

Maybe you'll finally get a photo published on VFRD!

Maybe start a petition? Haha.

By the way, any NorCal boneheads interested in slogging down to Kernville on Friday? I'm hoping to leave around noon or so.

• Member Contributer

St. Stephen, on 08 Aug 2015 - 12:44 PM, said:

By the way, any NorCal boneheads interested in slogging down to Kernville on Friday? I'm hoping to leave around noon or so.

If I were coming through Yosemite on 120, how could I hook up with you? And would I need to be through Yosemite before the Friday you leave home, say on Thurs.?

If I were coming through Yosemite on 120, how could I hook up with you? And would I need to be through Yosemite before the Friday you leave home, say on Thurs.?

I'm not positive, but I'm assuming we will be taking hwy 99 down. So you could meet up pretty much in Modesto or pretty much anywhere south of that. I'll let Brian chime in for better detail, but if we are able to leave around 12 like he wants to we will probably be rolling through Modesto around 2ish.

I'm sure Brian can give you a bit more detail though.

I'm out guys, I'm doing a track day on the 30th.

Have fun and ride safe.

Tj.

You suck.

Basically what TC said. If I were doing it, I'd camp in Yosemite on Thursday night, explore the park for a couple hours in the morning, then make this run:

https://goo.gl/maps/A6WJi

We'll take CA99, so you could meet us in Fresno.

Depends on how much time you want to spend in the park itself though. I'd think we'll hit Fresno somewhere around 3:30pm or 4:00.

Have fun and ride safe.

Tj.

Uh by the way

2013 KTM 1190 Adventure

2013 Honda CRF450X plated and tarded

2014 klx250s

2015 BMW S1000RR

WHAT THE F***???????????

Have fun and ride safe.

Tj.

Uh by the way

2013 KTM 1190 Adventure2013 Honda CRF450X plated and tarded2014 klx250s2015 BMW S1000RR

WHAT THE F***???????????

Just effin with ya,I had that up there for a week before you saw it.

Was going to put down a Ducati Panigale R but I didn't want you to have a heart attack at your keyboard lol.

Have fun and ride safe.

Tj.

Pussy... :goofy: He don't ride anymore... :cool:

Does commuting an average of 400 miles a week and tripple digit lane splitting count?

I'd love to go ride those roads, but have a crosss country trip planned soon, so am out.

But, went to Kernville a couple months ago via cage. Would recommend Caliente Bodfish Rd, which is south of Kernville. And Kern Canyon Rd / County Route 214 going west out of Bodfish towards Bakersfield. It runs along the south side of the river, the main Hwy is on the north.

On the narrow and twisty side, with no real traffic.

Watch out for cows on or along the roads around there. Especially you, Max Swell.

Ride safe. :beer:

• Member Contributer

I'd love to go ride those roads, but have a crosss country trip planned soon, so am out.

But, went to Kernville a couple months ago via cage. Would recommend Caliente Bodfish Rd, which is south of Kernville. And Kern Canyon Rd / County Route 214 going west out of Bodfish towards Bakersfield. It runs along the south side of the river, the main Hwy is on the north.

Watch out for cows on or along the roads around there. Especially you, Max Swell.

:fing02::beer::tour:

BTW: Love your avatar!

• Member Contributer

I got to discover this road back in my 20's. Friends and I used to go to the Kern River all the time. We used to go up Highway 14 to 178 over to the river, but one time I decided to take this route. Boy was I ever glad I did! Back then I had a 86 Mustang GT that I drove loved to drive on roads like these. The best part of this is when you come up over the mountain and are looking down on the valley, what a view. Two years ago, 'Stucky' and his friend rode this way when they met up with us in Kernville. They really dug it.

• Member Contributer
  • Member Contributer

Have fun and ride safe.

Tj.

You suck.

Basically what TC said. If I were doing it, I'd camp in Yosemite on Thursday night, explore the park for a couple hours in the morning, then make this run:

https://goo.gl/maps/A6WJi

We'll take CA99, so you could meet us in Fresno.

Depends on how much time you want to spend in the park itself though. I'd think we'll hit Fresno somewhere around 3:30pm or 4:00.

I wasn't planning on spending time in the park but I can arrive there earlier if I decide to. I can be in Fresno at noon. Let me know of a meeting spot. I can wait there; I can't wait! :lobby:

Shit... looks like a much nicer route than what I have planned.

Hot damn! And why are we not doing this? Oh yeah, the 6am part.

Have fun and ride safe.

Tj.

Uh by the way

2013 KTM 1190 Adventure2013 Honda CRF450X plated and tarded2014 klx250s2015 BMW S1000RR

WHAT THE F***???????????

Just effin with ya,I had that up there for a week before you saw it.

Was going to put down a Ducati Panigale R but I didn't want you to have a heart attack at your keyboard lol.

You dick. What are you doing the trackday on then? The 1190?

By the way, I haven't actually finalized the route for this, so I'm open to any suggestions. Both of VFR4Lee's suggestions are probably too far south, though they're good roads.

I wasn't planning on spending time in the park but I can arrive there earlier if I decide to. I can be in Fresno at noon. Let me know of a meeting spot. I can wait there; I can't wait! :lobby:

We stopped at this Shell last time IIRC.

That would probably be perfect.

https://goo.gl/maps/QwIMS

• Member Contributer

6AM sounds early, but the map says 8 hours and 51 minutes, I'm not sure if it is accurate, but I'm sure I will need to stop for food, gas, and bathroom at some point. Straight through, at thier estimate puts me there around 3PM........this is my first touring trip so I would rather be safe than sorry. Am I worrying too much?

Also, I have never ridden in that area, anyone bringing any type of rain gear, or is that a waste of space?

Archived