Just A Note To Those On The Road

Guest Recalcitrance

Guest Recalcitrance

I wrote this just as a note to share with my friends and office mates, but wanted to post it up here. I'm in Orange County, CA but this could apply to anyone, anywhere, at any time, regardless of whether lane sharing is permitted or not. This is not meant to incite negativity or point fingers at anyone since none of us are 100% legal when we ride, though when we speed or cross double yellows, it might be for a good reason. Whatever the case, I wanted to share this note and maybe have it shared with someone you know who might need some enlightenment in terms of why we ride the way we do.

Thanks.

=====================================================

Apparently last Friday during after work rush hour on the 405 south between Costa Mesa and Cypress, there were 3 bikes splitting through all lanes of traffic. The riders were intentionally punching mirrors and flipping people off for no apparently reason. One car after another was damaged and each driver was insulted. These types of riders DO NOT REPRESENT THE RIDING COMMUNITY, but unfortunately, one bad apple spoils the cliche. Innocent drivers now have to pay to repair the damage on their cars, and innocent motorcyclists now have to pay for the behavior of a select few.

On behalf of the riding community, I'd like to apologize for the poor judgement and fragile egos of those who ride irresponsibly and without regard for others (drivers and riders alike).

Many drivers think that motorcyclists feel, "We own the road." We don't. We know we don't, but certain exceptions ride without forethought, and the fact that I am writing this now is at least evidence of one rider who believes that the road belongs to no one. Sharing asphalt is not an issue of "ownership;" it is a shared responsibility to those around you.

When safe, I signal a thank you to every driver who sees me and shows me the courtesy and care to give me room to get by.

To those who move out of my way but see that I don't pass, it is probably for a variety of reasons, namely that I don't feel it is necessary to split when traffic is moving at 50mph and the flow is showing reasonable spacing between vehicles, but this is not to say that I am not thankful for your consideration. I may also not split but will stay to the right because I am able to see better in that lane position, in which case I am utilizing the space the driver so kindly gave me to pass. If I pass you closely and/or at higher speeds, you are probably a large vehicle obstructing my view ahead, so I apologize if I seemed rude or arrogant. My purpose for passing was not to prove a point; it was to maintain my field of view.

A note to those who think it's acceptable to intentionally block a bike: This is not a video game. We do not have a reset button. We do not have bumpers nor do we have a cage surrounding us. Our bodies will hit your car while you sit comfortably in your seat, cocooned in your metal shell. I cannot speak for every rider on the road, but I know I do speak for a large majority of them when I say:

"Please understand that it is not funny to cut off a motorcycle; it is illegal, and potentially fatal. Please keep in mind that many of us have spouses, children, grand children, sick relatives, people who rely on us, etc. We are no different than you are. A person sitting next to you at a restaurant might not have a helmet on at the time, but they ride, and you wouldn't know. A person on a bike with a helmet on and faceshield down might not show a recognizable face, but that person might be your neighbor or a family friend whom you never knew rode. We are not invincible in our leathers. We are made of flesh and blood and we knowingly accept the risks of riding every time we get on our bikes, but that is not an excuse for you to feel the need to add to the dangers we face at every mile. Thank you."

I could write more, but perhaps this is enough for now.

I don't typically write posts with the intention of sharing, but I ask that someone please take a minute to at least read and keep this in mind. If not shared on FB, then maybe mention a point or two when in discussion with someone regarding lane sharing and unsafe riding practices. Thank you for your attention and consideration, and as always, ride safe.

- Christine Sakane (Orange County, CA)
Daily Commute: 5 freeway between Anaheim and Irvine

• Member Contributer

Fabulous post Christine. You make very good points and I appreciate you advice for riders.

I lane filtered last year for the first time riding north from the middle of LA. Traffic was pretty well stopped. It was tense for me at times, with just inches to spare on each side. Much time was spend at a walking pace. But I really enjoyed the experience and it saved us huge amounts of time. And I felt safer becaust I was not sitting between two threatening bumpers front and rear with everyone around on their phone. I had read much about splitting so I sort of knew what I was doing. I was glad speeds were very low.

• Member Contributer

I don't get the antics of some of the riders I encounter when I commute on the freeway, weaving in and out of the lanes (even crossing the double yellows), reviving their engine when they feel the driver is not giving them enough room when they're filtering and just general rude riding behavior! Add this to what these idiots were doing and you don't have to wonder why so many drivers could not care one iota about us and our safety!

Any time someone gives me room when I filter, I give them a head nod and a wave. If someone wants to get into or out of a lane and their in front of me, I let them over, often times I'll use a hand gesture so they know I'm not going to all of sudden accelerate pass them. Sometimes, depends on the cars behind me, I'll slow down the lane a little so they feel it's safer to get over. It isn't hard to be courteous on the road, even when you encounter rude and/dangerous riders/drivers, it shouldn't change how you act on the road. Hopefully karma will catch up with them!

• Member Contributer

Very well said! I admire people like you that can put their thoughts down like that. I also "break the law" when lane splitting here in Washington, but like you I wave and acknowledge the consideration of others. I also wave to say thank you when I pass safely in a no passing zone. Even though I may be "breaking the law" I am not acting like a hooligan, just trying to show others bikers can be considerate, not just trying to go fast....Thanks again for the great read & I also will pass this along.

Gary

• Member Contributer

Really sad to hear this. Just takes a few yahoos like these clowns to set us all back a decade. I'm with Duc2V4, show a bit of courtesy and it keeps everyone happy.

• Member Contributer

Whether one lane filters or not, this is good perspective for everyone who rides. Thanks for sharing.

A note to those who think it's acceptable to intentionally block a bike: This is not a video game.

This happened to me once and it was the other drivers sitting in traffic that signalled the offending driver to move over ASAP :fing02: Good to know there are still plenty of drivers who do care about our safety and comfort, as it is no fun sitting in trafic under a blazing sun wearing all that gear. No airconditioning like in the car that blocked me.

There is motorbike riders that don´t care about safety, (car drivers to!) and some dont learn it even they have a accident. I think for many younger riders, the thing to do stuff is becorse of video games, where crashing dont hurt and looks cool. The bad thing is they start to live in a unreal world, and think silly things are cool even they are not, and the younger they do play these games, the more the risk, For example I have 2 boys that are 10 and 12 and from the olders class, 90% had GTA IV! a K-18 game. But its not the kids whe should blame, its the one that raise them, or dont do it. and becorse of them we get people that do things that spoil a good hobby. What a shame............

I remember one rider telling me something about riding in "video game mode". :ohmy:

Screen name Jackass or something.

Great, but you only get 1 life. I won't ride with those types anymore. :sleep:

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Marsman99 is right on, clowns like this set us back for years. We had the same in Houston on I45 a few month ago, press all over it.

These kids were wearing cool T-shirt only, so if they hit gravel or oil one day at least they will be off the road.

Too bad they'll mess up there equally silly girlfriends but also saddle up their families with health care for years to come.

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

That's the kind of road to be avoided at all cost. Kind of like the 101: full of aggressive, self-important, phone using drivers tailgating each other. No thanks.

Seriously I have, and do split lanes occasionally as I feel it's better than waiting to be rear-ended by one of the above. I try not to be an ass, but my survival is primary. I try to acknowledge courtesy whenever I can, and don't engage in road rage type behavior.

Can't control what others do, and give them the pleasure of making me angry like them. I just twist the grip, and get on with my life.

• Member Contributer

The only thing I would drive on that road would be an H1.

I was leaning more towards and M1 :laugh:

I have traveled to many 3rd world countries YOU DONT CHALLENGED OTHER DRIVERS on there roads. They will leave you dead on the side the road.

I have traveled to many 3rd world countries YOU DONT CHALLENGED OTHER DRIVERS on there roads. They will leave you dead on the side the road.

Same here.

Don't challenge that Hummer. Run away! :sleep:

Archived