Good Roads Near Raleigh, Nc?

DangerousDave

Hey all, I'm going to be visiting my brother soon in Angier, NC, which is just a bit south of Raleigh. He has a Blackbird that's done more sitting than rolling the last few years, so I'm sure he's going to want us to do a little riding together while I'm there, but I doubt he knows where the good roads are. I'm taking the Veeffalo down there, but will only be there a few days. He talked about taking the bikes to Deals Gap, but it's actually father from his house than from my house in Ohio! Crazy, right? Anyway, I'm hoping someone who knows the area can steer me towards some decent riding down that way. He said something about Pilot Mountain (Mt Pilot?), but I don't know if it's worth checking out or not. Advice from those who know will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

D Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Some good roads N of raleigh - falls lake/beaver dam / Old Weaver Trail / Fish Dam and from there on the other side of Butner / Stem are Culbreth Rd, Range Rd, Enon Rd/Helena Moriah towards Timberlake ... Old NC 75 between Stem and Oxford (parallel I-85 on which is a convenient rest area) ... Granville Athletic park is nice to take a break, on Belltown Rd northward out of Stem ...

To get to that area from Angier I'd completely circumvent Raleigh - take 210 eastward, pick ur way thru Smithfield/Selma, then 96 or 39 towards Zebulon, 96 to Wilton, thru Youngsville along 96 to left onto Bruce Garner Rd, then Rock Springs Church Rd to Falls Lake etc ...

The roads I like are low traffic back road rural types with little po po presence - watch out for blind curves, farm equipment, wildlife etc. and the occasional sheriff/deputy ...

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Work your way to Highway 64 out to 87, left on Silk Hope Liberty Rd .Old Liberty Rd. L West Swannaona Rd. Gas stop on your left across from the police station. Continue on the way you were heading Old Liberty Rd Careful once you cross over 421 several of 1 lane bridges. 220 South onto 73 exit right back off on Park Dr follow the circle around the turn onto Westmount Dr. Right at the bottom of the hill onto Lexington Rd.

Right onto Caraway Mountain Rd Left on Earnhardt Rd . rd changes to Shick Rock Rd. Left onto Hoover Hill Rd Left onto Hwy 64.

Across the water and up the Hill turn left on. Rush Mountain Rd. Slow down the hill 1st turn at the bottom is tight. Turns into Pleasant Mountain Rd Left onto Jackson Creek. Right onto Old Hwy 49 Left on New Hope Rd . Left on High Pine. Right on Pisgah Covered Bridge merge left at the end then Right on Burney Rd Left onto 220 alt. Right on Old NC 13 Right on Kemp Mill Right on Osborn Mill Rd Left on Gerturde Ridge Church Rd Right on Little Beane Store Rd Left Fork Creek Mill Rd. Changes to Bennett Right on 22 left on 902 Right on 87 in Pittsboro (Moncure Pittsboro Rd). Left on Old US 1 Right on Cornith Rd (NC 42) 42 to Hwy 55 Will put you back in Angier

Archived