Biking Trip Of A Lifetime - Nz17

Skids

Great pics! I am planning a trip to NZ as well. Am thinking about renting a BMW GS.

What's it like riding in the left lane on the two-lane roads? Feel weird?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Alaskan said:

Great pics! I am planning a trip to NZ as well. Am thinking about renting a BMW GS.

What's it like riding in the left lane on the two-lane roads? Feel weird?

It's great. It feels far more natural than driving on the left. Don't really know why, but it's definitely the best side of the road to drive on! :wink::goofy::beer:

If yr planning to go off-road/gravel riding, then the GS is a great idea, though there are some Triumph and Honda alternatives available from what I've seen. Otherwise, with the strictness of the cops and the 100kph/63mph overall max speed limit and some very capable forward-looking radar, the 800 I've been riding has been the perfect ride. Enough grunt to get up those twisty mountain passes, reliable, easy and frugal enough but minimal excess power you can't use unless you want to tempt the cops.

But each to their own.

It's a fabulous place to visit, on-bike or off, and if you are on a bike, the roads are empty, the views stupendous, drivers courteous and thoughtful (on the whole) and the bends sublime. Surfaces could be better in places and food etc is very expensive compared to the UK, equally so if you are US-based. The locals are very friendly and accommodating though and their attitude is definitely more laid back and less tense than back home.

Everyone should have NZ on their Bucket List.

You wont regret it Alaskan!

• Member Contributer

Handing the bike back tomorrow after 3 weeks of faultless riding (from the bike, not me). I'll get a total mileage tomorrow but it's around 2500miles.

Just about to head out for dinner so I'll try to do more when we get home next week.

Pic below is taken from the car park in Kaikoura where the seabed rose 2 metres (over 6 feet) during the earthquake that struck here last Nov 16. large.1000790.jpg.457da2d92ecfe9b5a9b0a70e2ac5f8f6.jpg

1 hour ago, Skids said:

Handing the bike back tomorrow after 3 weeks of faultless riding (from the bike, not me). I'll get a total mileage tomorrow but it's around 2500miles.

Just about to head out for dinner so I'll try to do more when we get home next week.

Pic below is taken from the car park in Kaikoura where the seabed rose 2 metres (over 6 feet) during the earthquake that struck here last Nov 16.

Looks like you've had a great trip; was a lovely day today up in Auckland too; I did a track day on my 800. Hope you enjoyed our country ;) I need to do more touring of it myself!!

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Matty231 said:

Looks like you've had a great trip; was a lovely day today up in Auckland too; I did a track day on my 800. Hope you enjoyed our country ;) I need to do more touring of it myself!!

Really enjoyed your country m8. Very welcoming and friendly people, stunning scenery and some great roads. We've had a fabulous time.

Archived