Anyone Have Something Positive On The Vfr1200?

aks801

I mean, almost ALL I read about in this forum and elsewhere is what a failure this bike is. I get it that it was a departure from the sporting heritage, and I get it that it is not as tour-worthy as some would like.

But come on, this bike is amazing. The performance is there. The quality is there. It looks gorgeous (ok, it's in the eye of the beholder). The price is, uhm, way up there. But STILL, I just don't see people celebrating this bike.

P.S. I have no affiliation with Honda Motor Corp. Really. Well, I do drive an Accord, but....

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I have a 2012...F model, it's my 3rd VFR. I owned an 83... A 96, and now my 12.

Many have asked for a bigger updated bike...you got a monster motor, decent electronics (mine has ABS and TC) Ok suspension, and typical Honda Quality. It reminds me mostly of my 86 FJ 1200, more on the sport side of sport touring......

I think people didn't manage their expectations, I waited until the issues got figured out, and did some common mods myself. PC5, BZAAZ chip, and a pipe...right now I'm pushing 157 HP at the rear, I have taken it solo to Kansas and back over 9 days, 2 track days...1/4 Midnight Mayhem, it did it all, and I commute on it every day I can. Easily the best all around Motorcycle I have ever had....

I bought a new 2013 VFR1200F in February of this year, and already have 7,500 miles on it. It has put a permanent smile on my face.

The 1200 does most things well, and does them effortlessly. I’m in my 60’s and regularly ride over 500 miles in a day--comfortably--just looking for the next great road. I’m no road racer, but my chicken strips are skinnier than they’ve been in years. The stock suspension works great for my weight and riding style (after some experimentation). The brakes are amazing. And, the fairing punches the perfect sized hole in the wind and does a great job of keeping the heat off my legs (important in Arizona).

I do have a few complaints: the transmission is a bit clunky (but I’ve yet to miss a shift). There’s too much driveline lash, which is aggravated by overly lean, low-speed fueling. I also hate the factory-designed flat spot in 1st and 2nd gear acceleration. I installed a PCV and a Z-Bomb…and the combination has worked wonders.

I only paid $10,299 for the bike (including freight and dealer prep), so spending $450 to fix the bike’s biggest flaws wasn’t all that painful.

Like dadofseven, I owned an ’86 FJ1200, and until I bought the big VFR, it was my favorite all-around bike of the 20 or so that I’ve owned. Not anymore.

• Member Contributer

I'm not sure the OP sums up fairly the broad impressions of the 1200 on this site.

Yes, there are some on here who have issues with the original bike but like any bike, we change them once we own them. Why should the 1200 be any different? And once you've done a few tweaks & mods, just like most other bikes, it becomes brilliant.

I absolutely love mine. I've not done a fraction as much on it as those posting above but still I love it. I too own 2 other VFRs (5th & 6th Gens) and I prefer to ride the 1200. It will be even better when it has the suspension sorted in September.

It's a keeper!

• Member Contributer

The only real negative on the VFR1200 is that I do not own one... :beer:

• Member Contributer

There is nothing that the VFR1200 does badly. :smile2:

It's very bad at keeping my wallet full of money!

About to part ex it out .. The dct one is difficult to ride at very low speed if you're short , I have had a lot of problems with the brakes which is a reason it's going. I had a manual one in 2010 for a year and returned for a dct one a year ago. Dct is great , the other reason it's going is that I m finding it too cumbersome around traffic and the city-- it's a claymore great for cutting great big swathes - I need a rapier for my riding now

• Member Contributer

About to part ex it out .. The dct one is difficult to ride at very low speed if you're short , I have had a lot of problems with the brakes which is a reason it's going. I had a manual one in 2010 for a year and returned for a dct one a year ago. Dct is great , the other reason it's going is that I m finding it too cumbersome around traffic and the city-- it's a claymore great for cutting great big swathes - I need a rapier for my riding now

I don't really want to dredge up the virtues of the VFR 1200 debate again, but will weigh in as a very strong advocate...again. Love my 1200.

If you're having brake issues, it seems some maintenance/repair is in order, as these are some of the best brakes put on a bike. Should be a joy, not an issue.

If you're on the small side and do a lot of city riding, then yeah, the 1200 probably isn't the best bike choice. Plenty of bikes better suited. From experience, I can recommend the Duc Monster. Bought one for the wife (she's 5') with the lower seat option. Fits her perfect. That bike is perfect for darting around the city. Like an overpowered mini-bike. Not really a rapier, more of a Ka-Bar.

The 7th gen is a failure and it is solely Honda's fault.

"The Bike Of Tomorrow-Today"

"Where do you even start with a machine like Honda’s revolutionary VFR1200F?"

"...the VFR1200F include Honda MotoGP engine technology and architecture..."

"One of the most advanced streetbike powerplants ever..."

"This is one of the most exciting motorcycles in Honda’s history"

"The VFR1200F establishes a whole new definition of performance motorcycling"

" created for the sheer joy of riding..."

"The Dawn of a New Era"

That's what Honda was promising with the 7th gen. Expectations were so damned high for a performance bike revolution harkening to the VF* roots. Something like the VF1000R but modern. What was released was nothing more than an evolutionary step of a sport touring bike. And if that wasn't enough to kill the excitement, it was priced too high to be seriously considered by either sport bike purists or touring enthusiasts. Oh, and it was released during an economic downturn. Pure recipe for failure.

With all that said, you'd probably think I hate the 1200; but I love my 7th gen. I mean seriously love the bike. The more I ride it, the less I miss my 5th gen. The only thing the 5th gen has over the 7th (in my mind) is the exhaust note and gear driven cams.

Maybe if I had more experience with other bikes, I would not feel this way. This is only my 5th bike and my 3rd VFR, but it is the best bike I have ever ridden.I like the character of the bike and it fits me perfect. I have not done the ECU flash yet as I want to be absolutely comfortable with the power it already has before I unleash anymore.

I don't want to get into the merits of the technological improvements, it's been done over and over. The engine, brakes, suspension (w/upgrades), and chasis stability... all top notch and better than every VFR that came before. What I want to mention is how the looks of the 7th gen is actually a homage to the past generations of VFR made futuristic.

One thing some people have complained about is the two tone color scheme. But is it really that different? Remember this one?

66rc166.jpg

It was then recreated with this one:

1002021652fbb0ed86b8cd107d_zps17020256.j

Now the 7th gen scheme doesn't seem so odd:

VFR1200F_6796++honda.jpg

Also, the funky exhaust can makes a little more sense too.The triangular swoop is reminiscent of the RC166 albeit silver instead of black. Take a look at the black plastic belly fairing. Where have we seen that before?

VFR_750_FR_FS_FT_FV__RC36_94-97_3.jpg

It makes perfect sense to have that hard black plastic there instead of a painted fairing too. That is where most of the road debris chips and dulls the paint on our bikes. So it serves two purposes, nodding it's head to an earlier VFR and is functional. It doesn't stop there either. The cockpit was completely redesigned yes, but the similarities to the 6th gen are there too.

VFR800+helibar.jpgHonda%20VFR%201200%20F%20Cockpit.jpg.167

Looks like a natural progression to me personally.

Now that the 1200's are fully entered into the used market, there are some fabulous deals to be had. I got my 7th gen for $7500 out the door; tax, title, and registration. This is a hell of a lot of bike for that money! When you get a great bike for a great price, all you can focus on is the good. If you paid retail for it, all you will be able to focus on is where the bike comes up short on the promises that Honda made.

Marriedman - nicely done!! Great comments with supporting evidence - cool.

I'm looking a little closer at these 7th Gens - I kinda like the looks of them!! SOmeone on the vfrd facebook page was trying to sell one a little while back - i'm thinking i shoulda jumped on it........

• Member Contributer

I mean, almost ALL I read about in this forum and elsewhere is what a failure this bike is.

I'm a new VFR1200 owner and struggling to understand all these threads pointing to negative opinions. It's unique in my forum experience owning other bikes. The only explanation I have is that Honda--through its superlative history--has raised expectations to a very high level. So maybe it's natural that a few will be disappointed with anything less than perfection.

But outside the world of forum opinions (which can range widely in source quality), the magazine reviews I've read going all the way back to the 1200's introduction have all been very positive.

I've never owned a VFR but always wanted to. I rode the bike 300 miles home after I bought it. I think it's a marvelous combination of design and technology. The fueling and suspension from the factory needs to be "fixed." But unfortunately that's been the case with the last three bikes I've owned. There are few bikes today that don't. Having said that, it's not as bad as my last three bikes; and if I weren't so discerning; I could live with it stock. Definitely can't say that about my last bike!

So I'm really impressed with the VFR. My Ohlins shock will arrive today. After that I'll tackle the seat, exhaust, ECU flash, and front forks. Then I will go from being impressed to truly loving it.

Marriedman - nicely done!! Great comments with supporting evidence - cool.

I'm looking a little closer at these 7th Gens - I kinda like the looks of them!! SOmeone on the vfrd facebook page was trying to sell one a little while back - i'm thinking i shoulda jumped on it........

Thank you, of course the supporting evidence is merely my opinion. I could be way off what the designers were going for, but the longer I own my 1200 the more of the VFR heritage becomes apparent to me. I'll be the first to admit that I thought the 7th gens looked way too funky for me. That is, until I saw one in person! Pictures just don't do this bike justice. It flattens the curves and contour of the bike so that it is very unappealing. But in the flesh, it is all very graceful yet powerful.

The underpowered 1st & 2nd gear under 4000 rpm reminds me of the 6th gen gutless feel before VTEC, but thankfully that can be fixed with an ECU flash. The bike is not for everyone of course, so make sure you get to ride the bike for a couple of miles before you lay some money down on it. If you find yourself grinning, you have a winner. If you think "Maybe if I do this to the bike..." pass on it. It will most likely never be what you wanted.

Just my $0.02.

I dunno, I get confused when I see people saying how great a bike it is and in the same sentence they explain how many parts they've had to add or engine control components have been added or re-flashed. Anyway..

My fav thing about the VFR1200 is probably one of the things I noticed on my first ride. This may sound odd, but the mirrors are fantastic. The rubber dampening mounts or whatever they use are superb. They are the first mirrors on a sporty bike I've ever ridden where I can actually see what's behind me because the mirror isn't vibrating at 400hz (or w/e). I am seriously considering buying a set to put on my R1, lol.

A gentleman has expressed an interest in buying my VFR, and I'm not going to lie, I've ridden it exclusively for the past couple of months and I did start to find the reason in Honda's madness. I never thought I'd say it, but I think I will miss it.

• Member Contributer

I dunno, I get confused when I see people saying how great a bike it is and in the same sentence they explain how many parts they've had to add or engine control components have been added or re-flashed.

I don't see the issue there. No bike is perfect for each person out of the box so what's wrong with personalising it? There are millions of us around the world so it would be a tall order to make the bike perfect for each of us.

The 7th gen is a failure and it is solely Honda's fault.

"The Bike Of Tomorrow-Today"

"Where do you even start with a machine like Honda’s revolutionary VFR1200F?"

"...the VFR1200F include Honda MotoGP engine technology and architecture..."

"One of the most advanced streetbike powerplants ever..."

"This is one of the most exciting motorcycles in Honda’s history"

"The VFR1200F establishes a whole new definition of performance motorcycling"

" created for the sheer joy of riding..."

"The Dawn of a New Era"

That's what Honda was promising with the 7th gen. Expectations were so damned high for a performance bike revolution harkening to the VF* roots.

Perhaps that was the issue? Folk believed the marketing team blurb.

I think when people focus on the price of the bike they're not taking into account what most 7th gens, new and used, actually sell for -- vs. MSRP. If you look at MSRP, yes, it's high. But look at the competition. Duc Multisport, BMW R1200S, Triumph Tiger 1200, Kaw. Concours14, Yam. FJR...These bikes are all at least equal in price, and you're unlikely to get nearly as good a deal (selling price vs. MSRP) on most comparable machines.

I was not a huge fan when the 7th gen gen debuted, but it's grown on me. I still may never own one, but from everything I've heard they are fantastic motorcycles. Even if you want or need to spend another $1-2k on mods to "fix" fueling issues or other things that bug you, I think it's still a pretty good deal. Most people are going to farkle their bikes anyway, and will spend at least that much on unnecessary (but desirable) mods.

Agreed, the VFR1200 is an excellent deal at the prices they sell for, but the point is Honda priced it way outside what most people were willing to pay when the bike launched, and that probably has a lot to do with the low sales numbers and the fact that Honda has apparently discontinued production after just a few years.

POS bike... and it Handles so bad and is so gutless that I can't believe I got my photo Taken by the Polizzerati at 140 in an 80 zone... uphill...

When attempting a 0 - 100 km/h Trial... it Accelerated so snail-like that by the Time I managed to Look Down at the instrument Panel, it was, Obviously Erroneously, Indicating 180...

And the Bloody Front wheel Just wouldn't stay on the ground...

• Member Contributer

Good luck finding anyone to say something positive in this forum, where pretty much everyone owns a VFR12. :comp13:

- Dan

Archived