September Beckons Me West

SCguy

• Member Contributer

I've got 4 weeks off of work this fall. Likely most or all of September. I'm hoping to use all of it traveling west from SC. Here's what I definitely want to hit:

Ozarks
SD Badlands
Beartooth Highway
Glacier NP
PCH
Yosemite NP
Eureka, NV (family)
Durango, CO
Gulf Coast

What I would like to hit, but not a absolute must:

Yellowstone NP
Lolo Pass area
Antelope, OR area
Twisted Sisters, TX

I'll be riding my 99 Honda VFR800 and camping most of the time, hotels now and then, and friends' houses when possible. Any route suggestions, camping tips, places that need to be seen, or general thoughts are very welcome. I've driven as far west as WY, UT, and NV but have never been further west than MO on my bike. Thanks!

WOW...what a nice trip!

When you know how much time you have for the Ozarks I will be glad to help you plan out a twisty route if you so desire. If possible come into the area on 9 from Melbourne, AR to Allison and then travel west on 14 to 341(push mountain). From there you would need another full day to get the good stuff. The next day you could finish and continue on. Just depends on the time you want to play in the area.

• Member Contributer

I haven't been all those places, but I would add Lolo Pass to the "must see" list - it's an incredible road with incredible scenery - like it was designed by motorcyclists specifically for sport riding - and there's nearly 100 uninterrupted miles of it!!! Southern Utah has some awesome roads as well - but there's only so much time! Having been in Antelope this weekend, I can attest that there are some fantastic roads there too! In the 2014 Oregon Trail VFRD thread there are some great suggestions on Central Oregon roads. Should be a great trip.

• Member Contributer

Awesome trip! I will 2nd Southern Utah, and if you are headed to the Badlands, hit the Black Hills while you are there, well worth the short ride to some very good roads and wonderful sites! Also, take the Millions Dollar Highway to Durango, might be your plan already, but another good ride!

• Member Contributer

If you have never been before you should really try to hit the Barber Motorcycle Musuem in Birmingham, AL. Freakin' amazing place!!

• Member Contributer

If you have never been before you should really try to hit the Barber Motorcycle Musuem in Birmingham, AL. Freakin' amazing place!!

I've been. Loved it.

P1010245_zps43797baa.jpg

My Nighthawk didn't want to leave!

I'd love to make it to the Vintage Festival in October, but I doubt I'd be able to get off work that close to my trip.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I've been. Loved it.

P1010245_zps43797baa.jpg

My Nighthawk didn't want to leave!

I'd love to make it to the Vintage Festival in October, but I doubt I'd be able to get off work that close to my trip.

I will send you some pic's. Went last year for the first time and was absolutely blown away . I plan on returning every year .

Roll On ..

• Member Contributer

Okay, question? Is it unreasonable to expect to be able to do the ~9k miles on one set of tires? I'm no jackrabbit starting , squid riding person, for example, my Nighthawk would get over 6k miles on the rear with bias ply Pirelli Sport Demons.

PR4s my best option? Should I bother changing the front PR3 that will have about 3500 miles on it?

Thanks

• Member Contributer

My experience is that slabbing it is what really eats into (rear) tire life on long trips. The extra weight, high speed straight up riding and hot asphalt for extended time will peel the tread right off (over time). If you do a moderate twisty pace on less than interstate speeds, I think you should be able to do it. I used D220 on a cross country ride years ago, most of my wear happened on the interstate riding from Atlanta to Denver, after that it seemed to moderate until we got back on the interstate in New Mexico and head back to Atlanta.

New tires front and rear without a doubt. They feel so good and why add something to possibly go wrong and take time/money out of your trip. 9,000 miles may or may not be doable even with new rubber. PR4's should last the longest for ya. I would suspect that a member somewhere along the way could help you out if/when necessary.

Archived