Continental Road Attacks And Mismatching Front/rear Tires

RazorWing

My PR2s are almost done after TMAC, just got to finish scrubbing the rear off (Left side is well into the wear indicators, right isn't so bad, but thats a whole different problem) and for some reason I lack confidence in my front at all. I was noticing last night I just didn't feel stable in the grip from the front, but that could easily be just in my head.

I'm going to replace both front and rear, and have been looking at the Continental Road Attack 2s. Any first hand experience of these? What is the difference in the Road Attack 2 and the Road Attack 2 EVO? I can't find anything that compares them, just the EVO has more tread lines.

Other part of the question, I have read several people using Pilot Roads on the rear and Pilot Power on the front, so I am intrigued. How does this affect the feel of the bike? I get why, as the rear wears much faster and you want the sticker on the front anyway. Anyone tried a Road Attack rear and Sport Attack front?

The other tire on the back burner is PR4, but I really want to try continental.

Thank you all, and ride safe!

• Member Contributer

If you have a giant softie (soft spot?) for the Conti then try it.

Regarding sport touring rear with sport fronts you get a little different initial turn in feel as the st tire is generally a more round profile and the sport tire is more triangular.

To me I don't notice the profile differences much after a couple of days...maybe because the tires start to take their own profile based on how you ride and maybe because I have the attention span of a squirrel and am thinking about other things by that time.

While it does pain my cheepazz to toss away a half used front tire the rear is roached I have switched back to sport tires front and rear for the VFR. If you go through multiple sets per year you may want to do the s/st front rear.

• Member Contributer

My last go round with a sport tour front, sport rear tire was with a PP3/PR2 and i was able to get 13,600 miles on them both (6 Gen). The front was pretty much done but the rear looked like it still had some miles to go! I'm now using a PP3/PR4 and so far both combos appear to work to my liking. I am not overly aggressive on my 6 Gen, as it's my commuter/tourer BUT on occasion I have taken it on some real "sporty" runs and the confidence I have with the handling is high. I will say this, when PP3s get near the end of life, they will let you know, particularly the rear tire. At least that's what I have experienced. I run PP3s f/r on my 01 and use it predominately for sport riding.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you both for your posts. With the Bridgestone rebate popping up, I just decided to try the "Keb Combo" as I was able to get BOTH tires for just a litte more then a single tire was going to be with this set up. I will try this one sometime though.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Conti Road Attack 2, not the Evo version.

I am not convinced of their wet weather abilities in heavy rain on the motorway/interstate type roads. I went through a big rain shower at the 60-70 mph legal limit, and it all felt a bit squirmy - maybe the Conti Road Attack 2 Evo will be better, and I would suggest they have been designed with better rain shedding in mind.

I put these Conti Road Attack 2 on at the beginning of the summer, and they grip a treat, lovely tyres, really pleased. But I have a 1,500 mile there and back trip planed for end of September which could be in wet weather. Not so sure of these tyres for long fast (ish) stretches of motorway use in the rain.

Conti%20RoadAttack%202%20rear_zpsep1lwhk

the bridgestone evo's are for better wet traction. I can only assume that the conti's are the same considering it was mentioned they have more sipes than the non evo.

I suspect you will like the B'stones.

Archived