Difficult To Start Sometimes

drphil

I have a new 2015 vfr800 and love it

BUt sometimes when I try to start it, the starter just turns but the engine doesnt start

If I turn the key off and on again it fires straight away

Any tips?

This happens sometimes when the engine is cold or also sometime after I start it again a few minutes after a trip

Dont have that issue on mine but might be something with the fuelpump/preassure get back to dealer and demand that they check what the problems are a simple fuelpreassure test shouldnt be more then a couple of minutes prob faster if the fueltank is almost empty

• 11 months later...

Old post, but since I found the solution maybe this can help someone else.

I had this problem since I got the bike last year. It didn't happen every start, but often: 

I have now used the bike everyday for 3 months without any problems.

SOLUTION:  Removed the little blue chip I had on the keychain! I suppose that access chip (used for door access on my gym) somehow interfered with the sensors

• Member Contributer

Hi drphil.

Very interesting thanks for posting the video. I was always under the impression that if the HISS (Honda Ignition Security System) was confused or a bad key used the red HISS light would flash. Did this happen in your case?? It's a bit hard to see the HISS light in the video.

Cheers.

Grum.

• Member Contributer

Parking up near mobile phone or other radio masts does same thing.  The magnet in the strip would be causing interference. 

• Member Contributer

Ah yes, on a closer look at the video it appears the HISS light remains ON during the failed start. On the next good start after the instrument self test the HISS light is OUT. Something to remember if you ever get the same situation.

On 2.6.2016 at 2:41 PM, Grum said:

Ah yes, on a closer look at the video it appears the HISS light remains ON during the failed start. On the next good start after the instrument self test the HISS light is OUT. Something to remember if you ever get the same situation.

Nice catch, Grum!

Actually never noticed that the HISS light remained on when I had this problem. 
Anyway, really enjoys starting my VFR everytime now without any issue :)

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, fink said:

Did you know you can switch the Hiss light off. 

Yep, you can disable the flash for 24hrs after ignition off function. But during start up the HISS light will always go through its self check and valid key check, a non valid key = HISS light ON and no start.

Archived