New And Improved Alternative Ram Mount

huntinggunns

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, Rambler358 said:

I got the short arm to mount my GPS, and it's perfect. I can see the GPS, yet it doesn't block any other instrumentation.

By any chance do you have a side pic of gps mounted?

Cheers 

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Rambler358 said:

I managed to take a few pics - hope this helps you.
873ec208764d046a385121162a33e9a5.jpg
e8ce6500d9fd7401e4268770944f3620.jpg
5dfba30dec6e72bedbacc31b9d6beb99.jpg

Thanks for the pics Rambler.

Yep that's perfect, I don't think I am after anything higher than that. I was maybe looking at the medium arm.

Cheers 

• 2 weeks later...

These are great!  Nice and solid.  Here are a couple pics of my setup.  I put mine up a little higher because my tank bag was blocking it a bit. I had to use just my phone case since my phone is my only camera. 

This is looking from my normal riding position. 

20160905_161347.jpg

I can still see the time a fuel gage if I lean my head over a bit. 

20160905_161404.jpg

Quite the concoction of connections. 

20160905_161421.jpg

20160905_161445.jpg

20160905_161516.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Just installed mine. Nice build quality! The mechanism is pretty clever too. I never realized how much rusty crud accumulated under that cap, but I ran a rag through the hole and everything fits snug. Tried a medium RAM mount arm on it with an X-grip, but found it a bit too long, so I've got a short one on the way. Thanks, @huntinggunns

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 10/31/2016 at 5:46 AM, jhenley17 said:

Maybe I'm missing it, but what is improved? It's more secure than what Ram sells? And to mount a phone, I'll need to purchase the arm and phone mount on my own?

If you go back to the first post on this thread it explains what this mount is all about. This is the second generation mount. It is fabricated using the RAM wedge mount and the OE Honda steering stem cap. The parts are machined on a lathe to fit together and look like an OE part, not something that was just thrown in the hole to hold a phone or gps. There are a lot of members out there that want something that looks good and do not have the equipment to do this themselves. That is what this mount is for. I hope this answers your questions.

• Member Contributer

I'm abit confused because the steering stem cap on my 98 is much smaller than the ones I see in the Gen 5 pics.

1480289269903-1816379974.jpg

• Member Contributer
I'm abit confused because the steering stem cap on my 98 is much smaller than the ones I see in the Gen 5 pics.

1480289269903-1816379974.jpg

The cap on the 4th, 5th, and 6th gen are the small caps, but they do not cover the steering stem nut like the 1200 and 8th gen do. That is why I use the larger cap from the 1200 and 8th gen. It looks better. There used to be pictures posted on the first post of this thread showing what it looked like on all gen of bikes, but with all the updates they have been lost. I'll try and get some posted back up.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Thanks hg.

I was able to view the pics here. I just wasn't sure why I was seeing the difference. 

I'll be sending you a pm to get one.

Anyone ever combine a RAM mount with a Lifeproof iPhone quick mount?  I sort of hate the look of the X-grip.  I order the Lifeproof bike (bicycle) mount; hoping to use the ball mount on the Ram.

parts on order...

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, NotmyHarley said:

Anyone ever combine a RAM mount with a Lifeproof iPhone quick mount?  I sort of hate the look of the X-grip.  I order the Lifeproof bike (bicycle) mount; hoping to use the ball mount on the Ram.

parts on order...

Looking at the Lifeproof bicycle mount, it would appear that the part that wraps around the handle bar, has a ball that extends into the part that attaches to the phone and that there is a ring that you would tighten/loosen to position the phone. If the LP mount uses a 1" ball you might be able to use a Ram Mount 'B' size mount in lieu of the LP.

It all comes down to $$$

If I were to go that route,  I would get the "Lifeproof LifeActiv Multipurpose Mount with Quickmount" (Link) and slap it on a Ram mount ball with mounting plate.  RAM products get expensive once you start adding them up.  The X-Grip may be ugly, but I've had mine for a few years and I only had my phone come out once (made the bonehead mistake of trying to adjust the grip on my phone/GPS while moving through an intersection on the bike).

lifeproof_MultipurposeMountwithQuickMoun

ram-202u%20uncropped.jpg

• Member Contributer

I received my mount yesterday. What an intriguing piece of engineering!

It'll be abit before it's installed and I have no doubt it'll serve it's purpose just find & dandy. Thanks, hg, for creating this for us!

Anyone have suggestions on what I should get to mount my phone on it?

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, MysteryRider246 said:

I received my mount yesterday. What an intriguing piece of engineering!

It'll be abit before it's installed and I have no doubt it'll serve it's purpose just find & dandy. Thanks, hg, for creating this for us!

Anyone have suggestions on what I should get to mount my phone on it?

Ram mount x grip , scroll up.to Donovanjm photos September 6

Is that what need?

• Member Contributer

To those that have the RAM X-Grip mount for your phone~

How do you like it?

And did you get the tether thing that their website says comes with it?

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, MysteryRider246 said:

To those that have the RAM X-Grip mount for your phone~

How do you like it?

And did you get the tether thing that their website says comes with it?

Mine works just fine and it's setup so that the bottom of the phone is facing to pavement. At first I was concerned but went on many rides, commuting, touring and even some sporty ones and no issues. The little tether was not out when I bought mine but I have added it for good measure, but normally I just squeeze the x-grip open and place the phone in it and be on my way. I use the tether when doing long trips and when I know the road is going to be bumpy. For reference, the above is with a Ram Mount perch mount on the clutch side on my 6 Gen with an iPhone 7 (previously an iPhone 5).

On my 5 Gen I have a steering stem mount with the x-grip mounted horizontally, where the bottom of the phone is facing towards me.

• Member Contributer

What actually is the tether? I haven't been able to find any info about it on the RAM website.

Archived