New And Improved Alternative Ram Mount

huntinggunns

• Member Contributer
9 minutes ago, MysteryRider246 said:

What actually is the tether? I haven't been able to find any info about it on the RAM website.

This is the tether... Link

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

87453de24f7e248f11cd3503449d7cb3.jpg51ff3966e9120ddce90b2a9c876a63f1.jpg6d24f26e867fbc7391fa935f20ecb3db.jpg
This is an Otterbox belt clip that I cut the clip off of. I mounted the ram ball to the bottom and cut the corner off for the camera. Works great! The only draw back is that it only works with this phone in this case.  The clip was one I had and the ball was under ten bucks from some online store.

I should add that I have an x grip and stem mount on the CB500x. The x grip works fine with my phone in the case. The stem ball not so much. Fred's mount is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, MysteryRider246 said:

Thanks, Duc!

How'd you come up with that? :unsure:

I looked up x-grip and saw the different versions and accessories 

• Member Contributer
I received my mount yesterday. What an intriguing piece of engineering!
It'll be abit before it's installed and I have no doubt it'll serve it's purpose just find & dandy. Thanks, hg, for creating this for us!

Anyone have suggestions on what I should get to mount my phone on it?

You are very welcome. Most use the x grip and the short ram extension arm.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
On 12/2/2016 at 1:23 PM, MysteryRider246 said:

I received my mount yesterday. What an intriguing piece of engineering!

It'll be abit before it's installed and I have no doubt it'll serve it's purpose just find & dandy. Thanks, hg, for creating this for us!

Anyone have suggestions on what I should get to mount my phone on it?

Here is what I end up doing. Note that round object on the side of the mount is a locking mechanism. Unlike the stock knob, which can be loosened by anyone, these require a special "key" to allow you to loosen or even tighten them. It works similar to a wheel lug key. I did this so that I would worry so much about leaving my bike unattended and having some unscrupulous person remove the mount(s) from my bike. Is it full proof? probably not but I'm sure its a deterrent to a certain extent.

The mounts and arms can be numerous but for the 6 Gen, I have a medium length arm...

IMG_0021_zpswc8ujl6l.jpg

and the 5 Gen, I have a short length arm...(Note: This is an older photo and I have since changed the position of the mount, but the pieces are the same)

IMG_0015_zpsxz0me5fb.jpg

• 1 month later...

HI,

This looks great.  What is the cost shipped?  Is the consensus to use the Ram X mount? I found some others on amazon with USB hooks ups too... but I still need this mount.

Please let me know. 

Thank you

https://www.amazon.com/Floureon-Universal-Motorcycle-Charger-Samsung/dp/B017UC20QC/ref=pd_sbs_107_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B017UC20QC&pd_rd_r=GBGT2ZQAC16WYDEDNTR9&pd_rd_w=6pJED&pd_rd_wg=iEprV&psc=1&refRID=GBGT2ZQAC16WYDEDNTR9#Ask

• Member Contributer
On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 1:30 PM, Duc2V4 said:

Here is what I end up doing. Note that round object on the side of the mount is a locking mechanism. Unlike the stock knob, which can be loosened by anyone, these require a special "key" to allow you to loosen or even tighten them. It works similar to a wheel lug key. I did this so that I would worry so much about leaving my bike unattended and having some unscrupulous person remove the mount(s) from my bike. Is it full proof? probably not but I'm sure its a deterrent to a certain extent.

The mounts and arms can be numerous but for the 6 Gen, I have a medium length arm...

and the 5 Gen, I have a short length arm...(Note: This is an older photo and I have since changed the position of the mount, but the pieces are the same)

Thanks again Duc2V4!

• Member Contributer

The first post in this thread says they're $43 shipped and the RAM X-Mount seems to be what everyone uses.

I have one that I have not road tested yet but I have no doubt it will work fine.

5 hours ago, MysteryRider246 said:

The first post in this thread says they're $43 shipped and the RAM X-Mount seems to be what everyone uses.

I have one that I have not road tested yet but I have no doubt it will work fine.

Thanks brother!  Wasn't sure if the price changed.

Seems steep. Is the only reason everyone's picking up HG's is because of the craftsmanship?  I think the RAM is only $15, correct?

Thanks again

• Member Contributer

From what I've read HG's modification to the RAM stem mount makes it fits alot better & prevents it from spinning which some members were having a problem with. That's what I seem to remember anyway.:unsure:

For how well it's built, $43 is quite reasonable. There is a break down of cost in the first post.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/4/2016 at 1:30 PM, Duc2V4 said:

IMG_0021_zpswc8ujl6l.jpg

IMG_0015_zpsxz0me5fb.jpg

Hi can you give me more detail on how you mounted your accessories on the 5th gen?  Maybe pictures as well?  How does your USB port mount in front of the tank in the picture there too?  I have the same but have yet to mount it on either of my bikes.

Art

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, artpongs said:

Hi can you give me more detail on how you mounted your accessories on the 5th gen?  Maybe pictures as well?  How does your USB port mount in front of the tank in the picture there too?  I have the same but have yet to mount it on either of my bikes.

Art

I'll see if I can get those posted tomorrow before I head to work.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, artpongs said:

Art

Art,

Unfortunately I have changed my setup so I cannot take anymore pictures of how I had it in my previous post. I did have one more photo that may be useful. Essentially what  I did to mount the USB ports to the bike was take a piece of aluminum bar (1/2" wide) and bent it into a  "U" shape and drilled two holes in to to match the front gas tank mounts. The opening was just large enough to get the bolts in and a 1/4 ratchet with an 8mm socket on it to tighten the bolts, then I double sided taped the USB port block to the mount.

This is the only other photo of what I had on there that I could find.

IMG_0014_zpskztb7az0.jpg

As for the stem mount, this is the part I bought from Ram Mount. It is not listed under "motorcycle" accessories but rather in "fishing"! http://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-B-354-75U

RAP-B-354-75U.jpg

• Member Contributer

BTW, this is the new USB port device I am using. I cut out the inner front panel just to the left of the opening. It is a "panel mount" meant to be cut into whatever panel you plan on using it on. I also have one on my 6 Gen but that one I just used heavy duty Velcro and placed it on the inside of the right panel. I thought I had pics of that install but I can't find them at the moment.

IMG_2727_zpsfdga3rk6.jpg

IMG_2728_zpsh84fydor.jpg

Duc,

Thanks for the pictures.  What is that telephone wire next to the right ram ball mount for?  I currently have 2 of those USB adapters one for the Hawk and VFR but not installed yet.  I currently just have the battery tender brand adapter connected to the sae lead when I'm riding, charging my phone on my belt clip and traditional headphones connected.  So I have been using navigation via audio only but have been wanting a solution to have it visible.  But next I would have to figure out which blue tooth solution for audio unless I get longer headphone cable to connect to the front.  Been researching stand alone gps units as well but cost and features etc.  Google maps has been pretty awesome - I like to use the avoid highway features when not in a rush etc.  What do you use for navigation?

Art

10 hours ago, artpongs said:

Not really related to the RAM mount post, but I also have that same USB port connector.  Here's a couple pics of how I mounted it on my 8th gen.  The USB connector mount has adhesive, and I attached that to the handlebar frame as shown and works well.  The wiring for the connector was also spliced to a SAE connector that routes underneath the gas tank, and gets power from the battery, hence always on.

fullsizeoutput_1041.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1042.jpeg

Cool thank you. I am trying to figure out how to have it to switched power.  I am also going to be mounting auxiliary driving leds as well and would also like it to be on switched power.

Art

Duc,

Thanks for the pictures.  What is that telephone wire next to the right ram ball mount for?  I currently have 2 of those USB adapters one for the Hawk and VFR but not installed yet.  I currently just have the battery tender brand adapter connected to the sae lead when I'm riding, charging my phone on my belt clip and traditional headphones connected.  So I have been using navigation via audio only but have been wanting a solution to have it visible.  But next I would have to figure out which blue tooth solution for audio unless I get longer headphone cable to connect to the front.  Been researching stand alone gps units as well but cost and features etc.  Google maps has been pretty awesome - I like to use the avoid highway features when not in a rush etc.  What do you use for navigation?

Art

I've been using audio GPS from phone for years. This year I'll try using the ram mount with my phone for visual GPS. I'll probably only use this for longer trips.

I like that my eyes are always on the road when I use audio, but I tend to miss turns when in unfamiliar areas or the directions get more complicated.

In Google Maps app I download the maps for where I live and the path I'll be traveling in trips. Saves a lot of data costs.

I'll probably use a portable Bluetooth receiver to get the sound from the mounted phone to the wired helmet speakers I use.

25 minutes ago, Quibble said:

I've been using audio GPS from phone for years. This year I'll try using the ram mount with my phone for visual GPS. I'll probably only use this for longer trips.

I like that my eyes are always on the road when I use audio, but I tend to miss turns when in unfamiliar areas or the directions get more complicated.

In Google Maps app I download the maps for where I live and the path I'll be traveling in trips. Saves a lot of data costs.

I'll probably use a portable Bluetooth receiver to get the sound from the mounted phone to the wired helmet speakers I use.

Yeah I have been collecting parts for awhile, and waiting until I have everything before I dive in as I really not sure what I am doing.  On both of my bikes, Hawk GT and VFR800 I would like to have the front mounted USB port, voltmeter, and LED auxiliary driving lights installed and powered on only with the ignition.  I have the same issues with audio only nav, most of the time is fine but occasionally miss turns due to not being able to hear clearly if a lot of wind, or complicated or weird traffic pattern.  But would be nice to have it mounted up front with a GPS unit when I get one down the road but can be used alone until then for visual.  Then upgrade to one of the Sena bluetooth headset units to complete the package I have been putting together for some time now.  If interested in the LED auxiliaries, here his a link.  They are not cheapo eBay crap brand, the Denali DM minis by Twisted Throttle are the smallest of the line but still throw a beam further than stock high beams when mounted up correctly.  I want them for daytime visibility as well as night time.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/denali-dm-micro-single-intensity-led-lighting-kit-with-full-wiring-harness-m8-mount

I plan to use the fender mounts for both bikes for low profile and triangulate the lighting to oncoming traffic.  The company specializes in adventure/touring so they stock and sell proven quality products.  I believe Denali is Twisted Throttle house brand.  

Art

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, artpongs said:

Duc,

Art

The "phone line" is for making long distance calls when I'm away from home...

Not really, it's for the radar detector. The wire goes back to the PDM 60 I have mounted under the seat.

• 5 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:37 AM, Rambler358 said:

Not really related to the RAM mount post, but I also have that same USB port connector.  Here's a couple pics of how I mounted it on my 8th gen.  The USB connector mount has adhesive, and I attached that to the handlebar frame as shown and works well.  The wiring for the connector was also spliced to a SAE connector that routes underneath the gas tank, and gets power from the battery, hence always on.

fullsizeoutput_1041.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1042.jpeg

Thanks Rambler, I copied your placement!  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived