East To West... One-Way 19 Day Adventure...

mv577

On July 11th I am taking my 2002 VFR from Massachusetts to the West Coast... Since I'm on a VFR and this forum was very helpful in getting my bike prepped for the trip I wanted to share the ride here... I am using Wordpress to blog the trip and will be copying the entries here as well... For now I am in final planning and prep... Hope you enjoy!

Mike

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An Adventure In the Making...

Greetings! What’s better then the thought of the open road, seeing the country, the back roads, the historic sights, the hidden gems… experienced all on the back of a motorcycle! This is something I have thought about with great envy for many years now. I have read others blogs, posts on Cross Country forums, thought about routes and dreamt about making the venture from coast to coast. In September I will be turning 40 which got me wondering why I wasn’t acting on this dream of mine, I’m not getting any younger ya know! Of course there are responsibilities that can’t be ignored, my family, my job. So the first thing I needed to figure out was how much time could I actually get away. What I came up with was just under three weeks, 19 days to be exact, figured with available vacation time, kids school and sports schedule and how long I thought I could be gone and still enjoy the solo journey. So a compromise was made, I will drive east to west in that time, ship my bike back and fly home. Within hours I booked the bike shipper out of Sacramento, CA and bought my plane ticket home. Now all I needed to know was how I was going to get there… wlemoticon-smile.png?w=700

This is where reading so many blogs and posts of others trips came in handy… why reinvent the wheel!!! I quickly came up with an initial route which mapped out approximately 6,000 miles. I’ve decided to camp as much as possible during this trip both for cost and a little more adventure. That being said I could only wish to be as rugged as Ewan McGreggor and Charlie Borman in “Long Way Round” and camp in the wilderness… No I will be staying mainly at KOA Campgrounds and a couple of lesser known when a KOA wasn’t in the area I wanted to stop. I’ll get great use out of my newly acquired Redverz Atacama tent but still have a shower, laundry and of course… WIFI wlemoticon-winkingsmile.png?w=700

Day 1: (601 miles)

day_1_thumb.jpg?w=682&h=342

I’ve done a few long distance trips on the eastern side of the country and really want to have the majority of my time in the central and western part of the country. That being said Day 1 is nothing more then getting out of dodge. 601 miles of highway riding from home to the Streetsboro / Cleveland KOA campground.

Day 2:

day_2_thumb.jpg?w=682&h=346

Day 2 is another long one with only one scheduled sight to see, Notre Dame University. Growing up in the 80’s I have watched the movie “Rudy” more times then I care to admit and although I am not a huge college football fan I have always wanted to see the University and the stadium. Since I’d be riding right by I figured why not check it out, grab some lunch maybe. 632 miles will be clocked on Day 2 from Streetsboro / Cleveland KOA to Waterloo / Lost Island KOA. Luckily I’ll finally be getting off the highway in the latter half of this leg…

Day 3:

day_3_thumb.jpg?w=682&h=343

Day 3 will be my last 500 + mile day and it will be a straight one for sure cutting through the heartland. 575 miles from Waterloo / Lost Island KOA to Badlands / White River KOA. I don’t anticipate Day 3 to be exciting other then I will be seeing a part of the country I never have before… and well that in itself is the greater meaning of this trip… to experience our great country… whatever it may have to offer… wlemoticon-smile.png?w=700

Day 4:

day_4_thumb.jpg?w=682&h=346

Day 4 finally brings some exciting roads, historic sights and a lot less time in the saddle… I’m sure my backside will welcome the frequent stops and fewer miles of Day 4 wlemoticon-winkingsmile.png?w=700 Leaving Badlands / White River KOA I wanted to ride as much of Badlands National Park as I could. I opted to do a little loop and hop on the highway for a few then ride back down through the park. I’ve read some other ride reports of this stretch of the park and I didn’t want to miss it. I will then head west through Badlands National Park towards Black Hills National Forest where I will stop at Mount Rushmore of course! I imagine just getting off the bike, taking it in, snapping some pics and moving on, but I can’t wait! From there I’ll head north to Sturgis. As far as I can tell there isn’t anything particular going on when I’ll be there but with it’s link to motorcycling I really want to check it out so why not. I plan to hit the Motorcycle Museum and Hall of Fame and see what else the area is about. Moving on I’ll continue west to Devils Tower, my last stop for the day. I’ll be staying at the Devils Tower KOA which looks to be at or near the base of the tower with great views. Should make for a great backdrop! All in all Day 4 is mapped out at 302 miles from Badlands / White River KOA to Devils Tower KOA.

Day 5:

day_5_thumb.jpg?w=682&h=346

Day 5 doesn’t have the scheduled stops of Day 4 just great roads and that’s ok with me wlemoticon-smile.png?w=700 Leaving Devils Tower KOA I will head west to Gillette, WY then north west towards Sheridan. A quick hop on the highway will get me to Bighorn National Park. I have seen many pictures and read many ride reports of Bighorn and expect to see some great views and even better roads! I’ll continue to Red Lodge, MT then cut south getting my first taste of Yellowstone National Park and stopping for the night at Ponderosa Campground just outside of the park. As I write this I realize there is a KOA in Red Lodge, MT. I attempted to book it however the system ask I call due to a restriction with the date I will be there. I may end up at the KOA rather then Ponderosa making the first leg of Yellowstone the start of Day 6 but regardless my route will stay the same. So Day 5 currently clocks in at 453 miles from Devils Tower KOA to Ponderosa Campground.

Day 6:

day_6_thumb.jpg?w=682&h=346

Day 6 is scheduled to be a leisurely ride through Yellowstone National Park then north through Gallatin National Forest ending at the Livingston / Paradise Valley KOA. I’ll of course make the required stops in Yellowstone and see Ole Faithful etc. The mapped 243 miles of Day 6 will be welcome I’m sure from Ponderosa Campground to Livingston KOA. (Or Red Lodge KOA to Livingston / Paradise Valley KOA with a few more miles, we’ll see wlemoticon-winkingsmile.png?w=700)

Day 7:

day_7_thumb.jpg?w=682&h=343

The goal of Day 7 is honestly to get me to the start of Route 12 near the Missoula KOA. I’ve seen this road in other ride reports and had to fit it in. So heading west from Livingston / Paradise Valley KOA I’ll be on the highway for a bit before heading through Beaverhead National Forest. Then north on 93 to the Missoula KOA. An “easy” 317 miles for Day 7 from Livingston / Paradise Valley KOA to Missoula KOA.

Day 8:

day_8_thumb.jpg?w=682&h=349

On day 8 I’ll leave Missoula KOA and ride through Nez-Perce Clearwater National Forest on Route 12. The sight will be the ride wlemoticon-winkingsmile.png?w=700 I’ll then head south to my only scheduled stop of the day, Hells Canyon Overlook. From there I’ll head west to Sumpter Pines RV Park as I couldn’t find a KOA close enough to my planned route. Day 8 sees 469 miles from Missoula KOA to Sumpter Pines RV Park.

Day 9:

day_9_thumb.jpg?w=682&h=340

Can you say West Coast?! I will be on Day 9! wlemoticon-openmouthedsmile.png?w=700 Leaving Sumpter Pines RV Park I’ll start my last day of heading west and finally hit the coast. The planned route will take me through Ochoco National Forest and Mt Hood National Forest before getting to Portland, OR. Now I may detour into Vancouver at this point if for nothing else but to add Washington State to my list of ridden states… we’ll see what kind of day it is. My day ends in Astoria, OR which is the farthest northern point of the west coast I currently have planned. Astoria of course is the setting for another 80’s classic, “Goonies”… I’ll have to see if I can find the Goondocks wlemoticon-winkingsmile.png?w=700 Day 9 comes in at 423 miles from Sumpter Pines RV Park to Astoria / Warrenton / Seaside KOA. This marks the half way point of my trip.

Day 10:

day_10_thumb.jpg?w=682&h=346

Pacific Coast my friends… the plan for Day 10 is a simple one… enjoy the day! I’ll be heading south and ride the entire Oregon Coast into California stopping at Crescent City / Redwoods KOA. I’ll be spending a lot of time on the West Coast since I don’t know when I’ll ride out this far again wlemoticon-winkingsmile.png?w=700 So Day 10 is 356 miles of coastline from Astoria / Warrenton / Seaside KOA to Crescent City / Redwoods KOA.

Day 11:

day_11_thumb.jpg?w=682&h=346

I’m looking forward to day 11. 222 miles will seem like a ride to work at this point in the trip not to mention I will be heading off the beaten path to see California’s “Lost Coast”. I’ll be back tracking today as you can see from the loop in the map. It was interesting to map this out hence the random address points listed so I could get Google to go where I wanted it to wlemoticon-winkingsmile.png?w=700. So again, Day 11 will be a welcomed 222 miles from Crescent City / Redwoods KOA to Eureka KOA with a anticipated loop through the Lost Coast.

Day 12:

day_12_thumb.jpg?w=682&h=385

Day 12 was another lesson in mapping with Google as I wanted it to route through “The Avenue of the Giants”. Google had other plans but I prevailed! On to the day. I’ll be continuing south from Eureka KOA and as stated ride the Avenue of the Giants. I’ve seen pictures of the Redwoods but can only imagine what it will be like to see them in person! From there I’ll be riding the Pacific Coast Highway south to San Francisco North / Petaluma KOA.

Day 13:

day_13_thumb.jpg?w=682&h=346

Day 13 is the shortest yet and that’s by design. I’ll be riding through San Francisco and although I have been there before I love the area and know I will want to take my time and see the sights again. I’ll be heading to Monterey and spending my first night in a motel stopping at the Monterey Surf Inn. Monterey is another reason for the short riding day. I’ll have a lot to take in on Day 13 and may try to check out Laguna Seca Raceway while I’m in town… hopefully there will be an event scheduled however I’ll be happy just to check it out. Day 11 is a light 175 miles (not counting excursions) from San Francisco North / Petaluma KOA to the Monterey Surf Inn.

Day 14:

day_14_thumb.jpg?w=682&h=346

Day 14 will finish off the Pacific Coast Highway and end at Santa Monica Pier, which coincidentally is the end of historic Route 66, a trip for another year wlemoticon-winkingsmile.png?w=700 I’ll most likely make a stop in Malibu, hopefully get some lunch at Neptunes Net (http://neptunesnet.com/) which has been used in several movies including the original “Fast and the Furious”. (Yes I celebrate that movie franchise, deal with it wlemoticon-smilewithtongueout.png?w=700)My then plan is to start heading inland and end at the Acton Los Angeles North KOA.

Day 15:

day_15_thumb.jpg?w=682&h=343

Day 15 brings with it a dilemma. I have planned to ride the Angeles Crest Highway, another road I have read is a must for motorcycling, then head north through Death Valley National Park into Beatty, NV for the night but not before checking out the ghost town in Rhyolite, NV a friend told me about. Oh right the dilemma. Well the Crossfit Games will be going on in Carson, CA and I’d love to check them out for the day wlemoticon-smile.png?w=700 so we’ll see… I may end up in LA for another night… but for now I’ll stick to the plan wlemoticon-winkingsmile.png?w=700. Day 15 is 365 miles from Acton Los Angeles North KOA to the Motel 6 in Beatty, NV.

Day 16:

day_16_thumb.jpg?w=682&h=343

Day 16 is all about Yosemite National Park… gotta get in the big named parks! wlemoticon-smilewithtongueout.png?w=700 I’ll head north from Beatty, NV then cut west back into California through Yosemite stopping for the night at Yosemite Pines RV Park. 300 miles scheduled for Day 16 with the end of my journey staring me in the face. At this point I’ll either be wishing it would never end or icing my back side wishing I could go home… only time will tell! lol

Day 17:

day_17_thumb.jpg?w=682&h=343

Day 17 is honestly a filler day. It’s not that I don’t like Lake Tahoe but I’ve 1) been there a few times and 2) road the entire lake on a rented bike during one of my trips. I needed to not stray too far from my final destination, Sacramento, and know the area is a good ride so I mapped it out. If I end up staying an extra day in the LA area this is the day I will cut out to make it up but for know day 17 is mapped out at 224 miles from the Yosemite Pines RV Park to the Motel 6 South Lake Tahoe.

Day 18:

day_18_thumb.jpg?w=682&h=343

Day 18 will be my last day of riding and it is a short one by design. I will be heading west from Lake Tahoe to my final destination in Sacramento. Then it’s about the business end of the trip. After checking into my hotel I will need to figure out how and what I will be taking home with me on the plane the next morning. Some thoughts are shipping some things or buying a large suitcase to pack things in. My tank bag is also a backpack so I will carry that on the plane along with another piece of luggage, most likely one of the inner bags from my side cases. I will also most likely check in my tent which will be in a heavy duty dry bag so it should be protected which would leave me the option of checking one more bag. All I know is I’ll figure it out, I always do! I then have to make sure the bike has less then 1/8 a tank of gas and get it over to the shippers which is an easy walk away from my hotel. Day 18 is a final 104 miles of mapped miles from Motel 6 South Lake Tahoe to the Hampton Inn West Sacramento, CA with a lot of running around after that!

Day 19:

I’m leaving on a jet plane and heading home………

Getting the Ole Girl Ready to Ride...

In 2002 I bought my first new motorcycle, a Honda VFR800 Interceptor. Actually here it is the day I brought it home in July of 2002 wlemoticon-smile1.png?w=700

1923474_66932522088_7526891_n_thumb.jpg?

ANYWAY!!! 13 years later the bike still looks new and runs great… but knowing my luck the bike would decide to take it’s first fit when I’m in the middle of the country with a bunch of cows or something. I started first with typical maintenance, honestly some things I probably should have done years ago… woops! Here’s the list:

– Flush and replace all fluids (Brake / Clutch / Coolant)

– New front and rear brake pads

– Replace fork oil / inspect fork seals

– New battery

– Clean / oil K&N air filter

– New chain / sprocket (Last year w/ only about 500 miles on them)

– New set of Michelin Pilot Road 4 tires (To be mounted just before leaving)

– Oil / filter change (Will change again just before leaving and at least once during the trip)

– Inspect all bolts, screws etc… bike is looking good!

Here is what my basement looked like for most of the winter wlemoticon-winkingsmile1.png?w=700

20150318_211434_thumb.jpg?w=682&h=385

Once I had the maintenance squared away I started looking into any known issues with the VFR as it came of age… Internet forums are are a wonderful thing! I quickly learned that a percentage of VFR owners had been experiencing issues with the charging system of the bike. Some had burnt stators, others melted harnesses and others with smoked regulator / rectifiers. The consensus among many was to test and replace the components if needed. I then recalled that shortly after I bought the bike Honda contacted me with a “Product Update Campaign” saying that the stator and flywheel needed to upgraded to a larger set. I of course never had this done at their expense but decided now was as could a time as any to do the upgrade. I ordered the upgrade kit from Honda and got to work. I also figured I would replace the R/R with a new OEM unit to ensure I wouldn’t have any issues on the trip. I was apparently lucky that my bike showed no signs of harness damage however I went through and inspected every one. I coated every connection with dielectric grease when putting it all back together… I don’t expect an issue now. wlemoticon-smile1.png?w=700 I also had the dealership replace one harness that was under recall… another thing I didn’t do years ago when notified wlemoticon-smilewithtongueout1.png?w=700

When I pulled the stator apart I found that a portion of it was fairly burnt so I was glad I was replacing it. Although I had never experienced issues with the bike why chance it now. Here is the condition of the stator when I pulled it apart:

20150318_211354_thumb.jpg?w=682&h=385

Toasty!

Another common electrical upgrade talked about was to install a Voltmeter on the bike to monitor the charging system and in theory catch any issues before they leave you stranded. I decided on the Datel DMR20-10-DCM-R-C round voltmeter fromwww.bikemeters.com . I put the meter on a relay to turn it on with the bike. Here are some shots of the install:

20150305_192705_thumb.jpg?w=385&h=682

Initial install in the inner cowl /

20150305_193221_thumb.jpg?w=385&h=682

Testing the meter with a quick connect to the battery /

20150407_083546_thumb.jpg?w=385&h=682

Testing the meter installed w/ bike running.

20150407_083656_thumb.jpg?w=682&h=385

Dashboard shot showing the meter location…

Now that the “have to” items were done I decided to install a few ways to power and charge my electronics while riding. I already had a 12v outlet installed in the same location as the voltmeter but on the opposite side. I cleaned up the wiring there then installed a micro-usb hardwired charger that stores under the seat. When needed I can easily pull the cord out to where I need it then tuck it away when done. The idea and design was simple but it seems that it will work well wlemoticon-smile1.png?w=700. Here are a few shots of the charger:

20150604_184921_thumb.jpg?w=385&h=682

If you can see it this picture shows how the wire sits when stored under the seat.

20150604_184824_thumb.jpg?w=682&h=385

This picture just shows the reach the charger has… I plan to charge my phone inside of my tank bag and see no issues with it reaching. wlemoticon-smile1.png?w=700

The last big area to prep on the bike is storage / luggage. How am I going to carry all the crap I think I need?? A few years ago I had bought and installed a Givi V46 top case with backrest so that was a good start.

20150604_184750_thumb.jpg?w=682&h=385

Givi top case rack installed on the bike

I new I wanted the Givi V35 side cases but was having an issue taking the plunge at $575 for the set. I lucked out and found a used set on Craigslist in Florida for $260!!! My Dad was kind enough to pick them up and I brought them home in April when we drove down to visit… Score! wlemoticon-openmouthedsmile1.png?w=700 To install the side cases I went with the Givi PLXR166 quick release racks… I like the idea of being able to easily remove the racks when not in use and clean up the profile of the bike.

20150604_184731_thumb.jpg?w=682&h=385

The PLXR166 racks installed on the bike

20150604_184745_thumb.jpg?w=682&h=385

One of the quick release connections… the racks come with a key used to take them off… only takes a minute… I like it wlemoticon-smile1.png?w=700

bags_thumb.jpg?w=682&h=467

Bags installed when testing my tent wlemoticon-smile1.png?w=700 I have a rack on order that will be installed on the top case… I’ll be most likely using it to strap down my sleeping bag and other lighter items.

Not to be too prepared I modified the side cases by adding a DrySpec Tube mounted on the bottom of each bag that will each house a 30oz MSR fuel bottle… a little insurance in case I miscalculate a gas stop wlemoticon-winkingsmile1.png?w=700

20150604_180650_thumb.jpg?w=682&h=385

DrySpec tube and Givi V35 side case ready to be installed

20150604_184608_thumb.jpg?w=682&h=385

Tube mounted…

20150604_185024_thumb.jpg?w=385&h=682

Case w/ tube mounted on the bike… rocket engines? wlemoticon-smilewithtongueout1.png?w=700

The bike is pretty much set to go… now to figure out where everything is going to fit!!! That’s up next… wlemoticon-smile1.png?w=700

• Member Contributer

When you get close to LA/Orange county and looking for some VFR camaraderie, I'm sure some of us So Cal riders would be glad to join you. Keep us up to date and maybe we can meet up with you.

Cheers!

When you get close to LA/Orange county and looking for some VFR camaraderie, I'm sure some of us So Cal riders would be glad to join you. Keep us up to date and maybe we can meet up with you.

Cheers!

Will do Sir ty!

Looks like a full and fantastic trip. Lots to see and do. Looking forward to updates. You will be going right past Windy Ridge and Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Rainier - worth a look. The Lost Coast and Redwoods (Avenue of Giants) are impressive, lots to see and do all the way down the west coast - Lost Coast Highway is extremely bumpy on a VFR but worth the ride. If you can get off the path a bit and head a bit farther north in Montana - Road to the Sun is worth a visit. The McKenzie Highway and Aufderheide Scenic Byway in Oregon are superb rides and very scenic. Have fun!

• Member Contributer

There are lots of VFRD members along the way willing to help if you need anything.

• Member Contributer

There's a few of us here just outside Sacramento, give a shout if you need anything. Safe journeys and enjoy, it's a trip on my bucket list still.

• Member Contributer

Looking at your average daily mileage, it is almost spot on with a 5000 mile trip I took back in September. I am 100% on board with rocking it for a few days to get away from what I've already seen. The only thing I would do differently with our trip is add in either a couple of "down-time-days" just to explore more localized areas or shut her down to the 250-ish range more often to really take in the scenery. My butt was fine in the saddle but after our arrival back home, many sections of our ride became a blur. - and that is with me pulling out the camera every time we stopped. I'm a camera guy and usually come home with 350 pics after my long rides.

Also remember 500 miles through the plains states is much different than 500 miles through the mountains! ENJOY!

You mentioned getting to see Notre Dame - I was able to work my way into the locker rooms and then onto the field at Notre Dame. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT ONE!

post-581-0-93997600-1433646749.jpg

Stuff, Stuff and More Stuff...

This by far is the farthest I have ever ridden and with that I realize I have little idea what I will absolutely need. On top of that there are some things I WANT to bring, but what, how much and where will it all go. To figure this out I have taken over my dining room as seen here:

20150605_221158_thumb.jpg?w=682&h=385

I needed a space where I could put everything together at once, test pack each case and determine what exactly I can carry with me. I want almost everything to have a secure home with the only exceptions being the tent and sleeping bag. Those will have to be strapped outside of the bike as there just isn’t any other place to put them. With the two side cases, the top case and my tank bag I should have more then enough room as long as I’m smart about it. What also helps is almost every one of my stops has laundry so I can limit the amount of clothes I bring with me… that space will come in handy.

So first things first… I make a list… This is my current proposed haul although I’m sure it will change between now and when I shove off…

Luggage:

Givi V46 top case w/ luggage rack

Givi V35 side cases w/ inner bags / PLXR166 quick release racks

Firstgear Laguna GPS Tank Bag

Tools:

Stock Tool Kit

Tire Repair Kit w/ compressor

Kriega Tool Roll w/:

Combination wrenches (8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm)

8″ adjustable wrench
Mini ratchet
2″ extension
Sockets (8mm, 10mm, 12mm. 14mm)
Hex keys (3mm-6mm)
4-in-1 screwdriver
spark plug socket
Gap gauge
Locking pliers
Electrical tape
Cable ties
Mechanics wire
Threadlocker
Tire pressure gauge

Fuses

Butt Connectors

Wire Strippers

Chain Lube

Gloves

(2) DrySpec Tool Tubes w/ 30oz. MSR Fuel Bottles

Camping / Survival Gear:

Redverz Atacama Tent / Ground Sheet / Dry Bag

Big Agnes Air Core Sleeping Pad

Equinox Armadillo Pillow

Teton Sports Trailhead +20 Sleeping Bag

Helinox Camp Chair

GSI Pinnacle Soloist Cookset

Etekcity Ultralight Camping Stove

Stove Fuel

Galls LED Flashlight / Extra Batteries

Headlamp Flashlight / Extra Batteries

Tent Light / Extra Batteries

Gerber Multi-tool

Gerber Knife Sharpener

Echo-Sigma Compact Survival Kit

Para-cord

Echo-Sigma Compact First Aid Kit

Insect Repellent

Liquid Bandage

Sun Screen

Camelbak Hydration Pack

Solar Charger

Extension Cord

Riding Gear:

Torc T22B Bluetooth Helmet / Charger

Dainese Air-3 Jacket / Shield Air G2 Level 2 Back protector

Tourmaster Venture Air Pants

Speed and Strength Rage w/ The Machine Kevlar Motorcycle Jeans

Speed and Strength Moment of Truth Riding Shoes

Compression Riding Socks

AGV Sport Jet Gloves

Rain Jacket / Pants / Boots

Visor wipes / microfiber cloths

Tech:

Samsung Galaxy S5 / Charger / USB Cable

Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT / Charger / USB Cable

Replay XD Prime X Action Camera / Helmet and windshield mount / 64gb SD Card / Cables

Panasonic 14mp Camera / Charger / Case

Lenovo Yoga 2 11.6″ Laptop / Sleeve / Charger

Toiletries:

Toothbrush / Toothpaste

Deodorant

Chapstick

Travel Shampoo

Soap

Hand Sanitizer

Electric Shaver / Charger

Wilderness Wipes

Camp soap sheets

Sea To Summit Pocket Towel

Bike Gear

Cable Lock

Jacket / Helmet Lock

Bungee Net

Adjustable Flat Straps

Gel Seat Pad

Spare keys

Cramp Buster Throttle Control

Clothing:

T-Shirts x5

Long Sleeve Shirt x1

“Nice” Shirt x1

Cargo Shorts x1

5.11 Pants x1

Belt

Bathing Suit x1

Workout Shorts x1

Workout Shirts x3

UA Compression Shirt x1

UA Compression Pants x1

Sweat Wicking Underwear x7

Socks x7

Baseball Cap x1

Sneakers x1

Misc:

Wallet / ID’s

Sunglasses

Glasses Case

Running pack / headphones

Meal / Protein Bars

Map Printouts

Within the next week I will be packing the bike and testing it as I am unsure exactly how the bike will ride under load. So far all camping, survival, first aid and toiletries are fitting in the top case along with several other items. One side case will house my tools, extra riding gear, sneakers and a few other items while the other side case will be just for my clothes. Well that’s the plan for now… wlemoticon-smile2.png?w=700

• Member Contributer

That looks like an awesome trip! I have done different parts of it, just not all in the same trip. Badlands and Black Hills will make you understand why there is a huge Motorcycle rally there, I want very badly to go back on two wheels and explore, just not during the rally. Prepare to feel small in Crescent City, CA.

• Member Contributer

Best of luck on your trip. There are some great roads around spearfish canyon (Devils tower) area. Take some time to see Mt Rushmore at night. I've been in that area three times on motorcycles and enjoyed it each time. Nothing like riding in the WIDE open country of the west. As you might know plan to go thru Chicago on non-rush hours times.....you can and will get stuck for HOURS if you get caught there during rush hours.

Plan on more time in Yellowstone,it WILL take you longer than you think....there can be huge traffic problems and the speed limit is very SLOW going thru the PARK. Been there done that on motorcycles twice. Just plan for more time there than you think. Bear tooth Pass is worth the drive.

Just a few tips for your trip....I always tried to leave early during the morning (even camping) gone before 6:00AM and ride for a few hours then stop for breakfast on the road around 9:00 AM,the local mom and pop diners are usually empty. If possible always fill your gas tank at the end of the days ride,just makes it easier to get on down the road in the AM. Some kind of seat cover for your bike at night...a dry seat in the early mornings is always a plus.

Some day's are always WAY longer than planned....you can make up mileage and stay on track by riding LATE into the night going thru the flat Midwestern states,(on the interstates)and staying in a cheaper motel for the night. Way less traffic late night and a lot cooler too....I have some great memories of pounding out the miles until 1:00 AM getting the flat states behind me.

Enjoy the adventure!!

• Member Contributer

Looking at your list you have everything covered. In my experience I take too much stuff...here is one item that comes in handy

http://www.lowes.com/pd_573361-74342-CA-9801_0__?cm_mmc=search_google-_-Tools%20Automotive%20Bmm%20Brand-_-Automotive%20Chargers-_-+lowes%20+jump%20+starters&k_clickID=51046348-e60c-df68-4a28-00002da52ba2

you can charge your gizmos and in case you need it the ability to jump start yourself. I am envious! looks like a blast have fun!!

• Member Contributer

Maybe add a 17mm socket too, that's the size of the rear axle pinch bolt i.e. For chain adjustments. It's also the same size as the oil drain plug bolt. You're list is pretty good. I usually pack all of my clothes and "quick grab" items in my tank bag and the "extra" stuff in the tail bag, sides cases or top case. Good luck on you're trip and hope to see and ride with you!

Cheers

• Member Contributer

Maybe add a 17mm socket too, that's the size of the rear axle pinch bolt i.e. For chain adjustments. It's also the same size as the oil drain plug bolt. You're list is pretty good. I usually pack all of my clothes and "quick grab" items in my tank bag and the "extra" stuff in the tail bag, sides cases or top case. Good luck on you're trip and hope to see and ride with you!

Cheers

Agree with that one whole heartedly. That's a LOOONG way to go and not be able to adjust your chain. I just take three sockets commonly used in VFR maintenance.

VFR sockets

• Member Contributer

Cheers

Agree with that one whole heartedly. That's a LOOONG way to go and not be able to adjust your chain. I just take three sockets commonly used in VFR maintenance.

It's funny, I know those three torque setting by heart now!

If you are open to route suggestions, I'll offer one in central Oregon. Turn north off of Hwy 26 to Kimberley, Fossil, Antelope, Maupin. One of the best motorcycle roads in OR, you won't regret the adjustment.

iXAnX9.jpg

Cheers

I thought there was a wrench for the pinch bolt in the stock tool kit no? I know I have the spanner in there to adjust it, seems odd the pinch bolt wrench wouldn't also... I'll have to double check... ty!

Cheers

What are the other two sizes there? Thanks for the info!

If you are open to route suggestions, I'll offer one in central Oregon. Turn north off of Hwy 26 to Kimberley, Fossil, Antelope, Maupin. One of the best motorcycle roads in OR, you won't regret the adjustment.

iXAnX9.jpg

Thanks! I've remapped the day... :)

• Member Contributer

iXAnX9.jpg

+2! Doing that exact route this Friday!

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Looks like an awesome trip.

On Day 7 be sure to take time out and stop at the Big Hole Battlefield memorial just a bit west of Wisdom MT. It is eerie and awesome.

On Day 8.. FS RD 39 to the Hells Canyon Overlook, while it is very cool.. contact the Wallow District Ranger Office just before heading down there, i know last year the road was closed and they had no money to fix it..this year we have fire problems already..a bunch of the miles on 39 will be quite slow, your day 8 will be a bone to be chewed. At the very end of a long dayyou will hit the technical Dooley Mtn rd... take care, and Cheers!

mv577,

If you are in an area and need to change plans this might help..........

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/

BTW, you may have listed it but I don't recall seeing any heated clothing. Turning on an electric vest

is like turning on sunshine on a cloudy day. Sorry if I missed it in your list.........

LookingHard

Archived