Soldering Help In Socal?

WGREGT

Anyone here in SoCal either really good @ soldering way-too-damn fine wires, or know someone who is? I'm been trying (and failing) to do a chatterbox helmet speaker to ear bud 3.5mm adapter with no success at all. So far I'm 0 for 6 attempts, and the wires are getting shorter...and shorter...

• Member Contributer

Anyone here in SoCal either really good @ soldering way-too-damn fine wires, or know someone who is? I'm been trying (and failing) to do a chatterbox helmet speaker to ear bud 3.5mm adapter with no success at all. So far I'm 0 for 6 attempts, and the wires are getting shorter...and shorter...

You know you always seem to forget that I'm here in So Cal! I can help you out. How soon do you need this done?

Within the next two weeks for my coastal ride? If you've done it before, great. If not, I'm warning you: I've got a giant light and magnifying glass, new soldering iron (after thinking it would help. It didn't.), and steady hands, and....I have miserably failed doing 7 of them. The wires are impossibly fine.

But, if you wanna try, I got nothing to lose except more inches of wire that I can't get back.

Pick a day/night/time and I'll bring it by. Or I can leave it with you if you like.

• Member Contributer

A small tip hakko soldering station is the ticket. Made especially for delicate and really small boards. If you were closer to okc I could help. All of my helmets are set up that way. The ear phones that you stick inside the helmets really suck. Small solder also. I think I have .032 for that.

I have the .032 solder. To me, it's more a matter of the wires having that cotton-like thread with them. Then again, some of them have solid wires only (no thread) but yet the wires are still thin. No consistency to them. If we fail miserably on this end you may see a pkg in your mailbox with a quick turnaround (trip on the books in 14 days.)

Yours have held and are nice & solid?

• Member Contributer

Within the next two weeks for my coastal ride? If you've done it before, great. If not, I'm warning you: I've got a giant light and magnifying glass, new soldering iron (after thinking it would help. It didn't.), and steady hands, and....I have miserably failed doing 7 of them. The wires are impossibly fine.

But, if you wanna try, I got nothing to lose except more inches of wire that I can't get back.

Pick a day/night/time and I'll bring it by. Or I can leave it with you if you like.

OK. I'll let you know. If you have all the goodies and just need a steady and experienced hand, I think I can come by your place.

• Member Contributer

I have the .032 solder. To me, it's more a matter of the wires having that cotton-like thread with them. Then again, some of them have solid wires only (no thread) but yet the wires are still thin. No consistency to them. If we fail miserably on this end you may see a pkg in your mailbox with a quick turnaround (trip on the books in 14 days.)

Yours have held and are nice & solid?

My Shoei is going on 3 years and my Socrpion is probably 5 years. I know, time to retire that one. If you look real close at the wires they are coated with a kind of lacquer. Not really any insulation, just the coating. Take some nail polish remover and rub the coating off the very tip of the wires, an exacto knife being real careful works well, just enough to get the end tinned and Bob should be your uncle. After a couple of mess ups I finally got the hang of it. My wife has about 5 years on her helmet also.

• Member Contributer

Been a while so I forgot. You can also take a lighter and singe the end of the wire. Does about the same thing as nail polish remover but quicker and easier.

Archived