K&n Oil Filter

wera803

I know at least one other person had a problem with a K&N oil filter (Olive), so I thought I would post my recent issue with them as well. Olive's story is the only one I have heard of like this, so thought it was just a fluke with her filter. Last year at the Women's Sportbike Rally at the gap, they were giving away K&N oil filters, so I ended up with a few of them. I have never bought them before.

At T-Mac this weekend, our group was heading back from Tellico Plains and decided to go the most direct route instead of back over Cherohala, 143, 28, etc. because it was after 3 pm and the dinner and events were happening that night. We stopped for a break at a gas station and we noticed my girlfriend's rear tire was shiny on the left side, so we started looking around and there were oil drops under the bike. After pulling as much of the fairing loose as we could (didn't have a socket to remove the frame slider), it was determined the oil filter was the cause. We cleaned up the tire, fairing, pan, etc. the best that we could and decided the next 40 miles were pretty straight to Franklin, so we would limp it back. By the time we got to the Microtel, it was shiny again, although when we checked the oil level it was still at the high mark. I'm glad we had decided to take the straight way back to Franklin instead of the twisty way, or it might have ended badly.

I had a friend pick up a filter Saturday night when he ran to the store and we changed it out Sunday morning. We rode all day Sunday with no more issues. I plan to check my filter this week. I can't remember if I used one of the K&N's or a Honda filter I had on the shelf last time, but if it is a K&N I plan to change it out. I know better to use the nut to tighten them as well, so that couldn't have caused the issue. It has also been on the bike for about 4k miles. If I cracked it during install, it would have leaked a long time ago.

The 2 or 3 brand new K&N's I have on the shelf will be going in the trash as well, The risk isn't worth a $10-15 filter for me. I have used their air filters in the past, but won't ever be using their oil filters again.

I had a similar issue with my last K&N filter. luckily the seal went right as my service interval was coming up. I bought another K&N since that's the only filter I ever use on anything. Ill see how this one does after a couple thousand miles. But i'm certainly disappointed to hear about these failures from such a well respected brand.

though I'm also thinking the nut on the end has caused me more trouble than its worth. it's just too easy to over torque the filter when installing. then when it comes to removal the socket isn't an exact enough fit anyway and it just strips it off. had to bang a screwdriver through my last one to get it off.

• Member Contributer

Seriously, you replaced a known bad filter with another of the same brand? There's no way I would do that. If I ever had a bad filter, never have BTW, I would not be buying that brand again. Accidents do happen, but why take a chance when there are so many alternatives. And K&N filters are getting a pretty bad rep. They are on my "Do Not Buy" list. That's a shame because I do use a K&N air filter.

• Member Contributer

For a little additional information, the K&N filter in questions has a "nut" made of stamped steel that has several spot welds around the perimeter to hold it to the filter housing and a hole through the "nut" to safety wire the filter.

It appeared that the filter was compromised at one or more of the small spot welds that attach the "nut" to the filter.

I am looking through my filter inventory as well. At this point I will only use a filter with this " nut" attached on lawn equipment.

As Ken said, not worth the $10 to keep them in service for me.

Seriously, you replaced a known bad filter with another of the same brand? There's no way I would do that. If I ever had a bad filter, never have BTW, I would not be buying that brand again. Accidents do happen, but why take a chance when there are so many alternatives. And K&N filters are getting a pretty bad rep. They are on my "Do Not Buy" list. That's a shame because I do use a K&N air filter.

I've been a K&N customer for years, so i figured one bad gasket doesn't ruin the batch for me. I love all their products, and since i ordered on Amazon i came to a somewhat similar conclusion regarding the gasket. 1) it had probably been sitting on the shelf for too long before I bought it. 2) i compromised the seal by over-torquing it. these two reasons, in addition to my love of the brand gave me enough reason to try again.

what brand filter do you guys run? just the OEM one?

ive been using the 3.25" Bosch DistancePlus. http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html for the full oil filter cross reference

Here is the Recommended filters.
All have superiorvfiltering.

About 2.5 inches long.

• Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
  • Mobil M1-108, about $12.
    Made by Champion.
  • Bosch 3300, about $6.
    Made by Champion.
  • Wal-Mart SuperTech ST6607
    Made by Champion.

About 3.25 inches long.

• Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.
  • Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10.
    Made by Champion.
  • Bosch 3323, about $6.
    Made By Champion.
  • WalMart SuperTech ST7317,
    about $2. Made by Champion.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Are you guys torquing the filter according to the service manual spec? I believe its 21 ft/lbs?

Nope always hand tight . Never had a problem .

• Member Contributer

Are you guys torquing the filter according to the service manual spec? I believe its 21 ft/lbs?

whoa there... it's only 7 ft-lb.

• Member Contributer

ive been using the 3.25" Bosch DistancePlus. http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html for the full oil filter cross reference

Here is the Recommended filters.

All have superiorvfiltering.

About 2.5 inches long.

• Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
  • Mobil M1-108, about $12.

Made by Champion.

• Bosch 3300, about $6.

Made by Champion.

• Wal-Mart SuperTech ST6607

Made by Champion.

About 3.25 inches long.

• Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.
  • Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10.

Made by Champion.

• Bosch 3323, about $6.

Made By Champion.

• WalMart SuperTech ST7317,

about $2. Made by Champion.

For Purolator fans, they also make the 14610 and 14612 in synthetic media versions.

$11.77 and $10.49 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Purolator-PSL14610-Synthetic-Spin--Filter/dp/B007BXCLN8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1437938150&sr=8-3&keywords=14610

http://www.amazon.com/Purolator-PSL14612-Synthetic-Spin--Filter/dp/B007BXCLQU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1437938030&sr=8-3&keywords=14612

• Member Contributer

Nice heads up on this. I'll have to get one to cut it open. Hopefully they are using the good wire backed synthetic media as opposed to the fiberglass/paper/synthetic stuff. It says they are, but I like to keep em honest...

• 2 months later...

well, it happened again. rode I5 90 miles straight home yesterday and when i pulled in, was beyond annoyed to see several drops of oil on the bottom of the fairing and the center stand. pulled the left fairing and sure enough, another k&n filter seal seeping the life-blood. I was willing to give them a second chance but no more. I simply don't understand. I have run full k&n filters in all my vehicles for years and never once have had an issue until this bike. i think i'm going to email them and see what gives, but I'm disappointed in a company who otherwise seems to make only the highest quality product. If any of you have insight on this particular failure, id be very interested.

with all that said, whats a concrete answer?

what filter do you all run?

and what is the advantage (if any) of the longer 3.25 inch ones?

KN oil filter = generic champion oil filter with nut welded to the end

I think a lot of people are having issues with these filters, because they are torquing them down by the nut at the end. The nut is there for removal, not install.

In the end, it's a generic filter that people buy for the name and the cool nut.

By this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=oil+filter+socket&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&imgil=y-oTDgMqNfvvNM%253A%253B9RdLw-qSUv4HuM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.amazon.com%25252FOTC-Oil-Filter-Socket-GM%25252Fdp%25252FB000I1CCBQ&source=iu&pf=m&fir=y-oTDgMqNfvvNM%253A%252C9RdLw-qSUv4HuM%252C_&biw=1920&bih=947&usg=__CvdC6BHtsTleTXljCAw27P-UqfM%3D&ved=0CF0QyjdqFQoTCMTWrKaqrMgCFUcxiAod5OoIOw&ei=BvMSVsS7M8fioATk1aPYAw#imgrc=y-oTDgMqNfvvNM%3A&usg=__CvdC6BHtsTleTXljCAw27P-UqfM%3D

and suddenly this is nothing more than generic over priced filter. Do some research people. There are much higher quality oil filters out there...

ok, fair enough. and im not torquing the filter down with a wrench. this isnt amatuer hour :laugh: . but, so what is the best one out there then? i dont need to be spending $20 on an oil filter, but at the same time there has to be something better than stock.

• Member Contributer

See post #7 and #12 of this thread. I'm a Purolator fan, but any listed those posts are excellent. I like the longer filters for the extra filtering material, added oil capacity (yes, it's minimal), and added external surface area which provides a little more oil cooling (which is also minimal, especially with the headers being so close).

• Member Contributer

KN oil filter = generic champion oil filter with nut welded to the end

I think a lot of people are having issues with these filters, because they are torquing them down by the nut at the end. The nut is there for removal, not install.

In the end, it's a generic filter that people buy for the name and the cool nut.

By this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=oil+filter+socket&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&imgil=y-oTDgMqNfvvNM%253A%253B9RdLw-qSUv4HuM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.amazon.com%25252FOTC-Oil-Filter-Socket-GM%25252Fdp%25252FB000I1CCBQ&source=iu&pf=m&fir=y-oTDgMqNfvvNM%253A%252C9RdLw-qSUv4HuM%252C_&biw=1920&bih=947&usg=__CvdC6BHtsTleTXljCAw27P-UqfM%3D&ved=0CF0QyjdqFQoTCMTWrKaqrMgCFUcxiAod5OoIOw&ei=BvMSVsS7M8fioATk1aPYAw#imgrc=y-oTDgMqNfvvNM%3A&usg=__CvdC6BHtsTleTXljCAw27P-UqfM%3D

and suddenly this is nothing more than generic over priced filter. Do some research people. There are much higher quality oil filters out there...

I get your point about people paying for a name or a nut... but Champion makes 75% of the filters on the list that are rated for superior filtration... are the K&N on the CalSci list for poor filtering performance?

I too had leakage at the distal nut on the one and only K&N I have run, on my 600RR, circa 2009 or 10. I promptly threw away the other two I had sitting on the utility shelf in my garage.

Clearly they haven't sorted out this potentially life-threatening flaw.

All the alternative filters posted will work. I've only ever done cars or bikes hand tight and have never had a leak.

I use the cheapo Fram filters, Purolator or Bosch - all do the same job.

Until you do an oil analysis

Archived