Saddlesore 1000

coldrider

Hi folks,

I hope this is the right place to post. I'm planning to try a Saddlesore 1000, 1000 miles in a 24 hour period. Boring as it sounds the route I can think of from Vancouver, BC is down I-5 through Washington State and into Oregon and back.

Years of multi day trips make me confident that I can remain in the saddle for the duration. This will be the longest day but not the hardest.

Any bits of information regarding prep, or packing or anything on how to prepare for a power ride is appreciated.

Did it once and rode from NE Oregon to Calgary (Home). That's a lot of miles. I think it would actually be easier to do on the freeway than highways. Open'er up and ride - 70-80mph.

Bring snacks and drinks in your luggage. Stop for even short breaks - 10 minutes here and there. Music helped me keep going. Oh, and caffeine - a quick zip when you need it (downside is you have to pee more often). Quit if you feel fatigued to the point of being in a dangerous situation.

Good luck. I look forward to the ride report.

• Member Contributer

Wear comfortable gear. Compression shorts are a huge help. Having a windscreen that deflects the wind correctly for your body is a great help. Keep fillups short and take a decent lunch. Managed to pretty much do it on my way out to Colorado on the stock 4th gen seat.

Hydrate, chapstick, sunscreen and stretch. I just did 800 miles and had an oval sunburn on my face. I got pretty dehydrated after the first day, so I felt sluggish in the morning. Also, the bike doesn't handle as well with 100 pounds of gear, so adjust your riding accordingly. I think the back roads are easier than freeway because you move more on the bike, and there is less droning wind. Stop and get a cinnamon roll at Heaven on Earth in Oregon. Make sure it stays fun. I like stopping at odd road side attractions.

• Member Contributer

If you plan on a 20 hour day...it is very doable. I did a lot on non-highway roads. Here's the route I did from Bozeman MT to Sioux Falls SD...

I broke down at one point and had to stop and put my bike up on the center stand, dig my tools out and adjust the chain slop--but the eccentric was all the way out...Stopped by Devil's Tower along the way as well...

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/43.5411919,-96.7815017/Bozeman,+Mt/@43.5425794,-96.8015395,14z/am=t/data=!4m34!4m33!1m25!3m4!1m2!1d-104.6968817!2d44.5855649!3s0x53330665b5b05363:0x551cba0d43611cf0!3m4!1m2!1d-106.9571513!2d44.7969974!3s0x5335fabdf019597b:0xe169410e8faffa33!3m4!1m2!1d-109.0622088!2d44.5199394!3s0x534c1ed3a3122937:0x2530a615161d2cd7!3m4!1m2!1d-109.6637809!2d44.8944632!3s0x534ef1a0ea16bce1:0xa7f418f1b897f67b!3m4!1m2!1d-109.3598717!2d45.3018844!3s0x534f2e16d5407977:0xf5ff8891f2554ced!1m5!1m1!1s0x5345444c4fba8813:0x63f5d064f73b60aa!2m2!1d-111.047222!2d45.677778!3e0

The next day I had a new chain installed and only made 800+ miles because I had to wait 3 hours at a dealership in Iowa...

Best of luck...MUSIC is your friend...

• Member Contributer

Hi folks,

I hope this is the right place to post. I'm planning to try a Saddlesore 1000, 1000 miles in a 24 hour period. Boring as it sounds the route I can think of from Vancouver, BC is down I-5 through Washington State and into Oregon and back.

Years of multi day trips make me confident that I can remain in the saddle for the duration. This will be the longest day but not the hardest.

Any bits of information regarding prep, or packing or anything on how to prepare for a power ride is appreciated.

The best advice I can give you is to leave Vancouver as early as possible to skip all the traffic in Seattle and Portland. Weekday or weekend, it's busy. If you are past Portland by 7 AM, the rest of the distance is an absolute breeze.

Watch out for speed traps on the I5 in Washington, it's heavily patrolled.

• 4 weeks later...

I almost did a saddlesore May 2nd, bot the odo did stop work during the ride. I think I was about 20 miles short. The plan was not to do a 1000 miles, just to ride my "new" bike from The Netherlands to Stockholm Sweden in 24h to get in time to a ferry. More of my trip in Europe section, A new door opens.

• Member Contributer

Hi folks,

The best advice I can give you is to leave Vancouver as early as possible to skip all the traffic in Seattle and Portland. Weekday or weekend, it's busy. If you are past Portland by 7 AM, the rest of the distance is an absolute breeze.

Watch out for speed traps on the I5 in Washington, it's heavily patrolled.

+1 on the aggressive and numerous LEO's in WA state. I drive I-5 between Seattle and Eugene frequently and have counted as many as 8 drivers pulled over in WA in one run to Seattle. Oregon is much less patrolled, but the limit is 5mph lower. Usually more than 5 mph+ over starts to get their attention.

• 2 weeks later...

I paid my fair share of Oregon highway speed tax living in WA with family in CA. WA is bad too. Agree on the traffic in Seattle and Portland, best passed through early on a weekend.

I've had almost no experience riding in the northwest, but if you draw a line from northern MN to southwest AZ I've been betwixt that line and the Atlantic Ocean a lot. Traffic problems and law enforcement are my main considerations regarding necessary average speeds. Your health and comfort are most important. As YoshinsHNS suggests: compression shorts are very helpful. Eating light, nourishing foods is essential; as is drinking water. I find no reason for snacks, power bars, et. al. and I don't drink coffee and limit caffeine. Music, to my mind is distracting and potentially dangerous. I can easily run through a tank of fuel between bio-breaks and almost never stop unless I need fuel. Weather can sometimes throw a wrench into your plans. (dime size hail, 2" deep, betwixt Joplin and Springfield, MO. a BBG*).

Be certain all mc maintenance is up to date/mileage. If you have chain drive take a can of chain lube with you and use it 2X. Disregard the mess it makes, when done quickly. If your chain and sprockets are decent and you start with proper adjustment you shouldn't need to adjust within 11 or 1200 miles. Due to odometer vagaries add an extra 100 or so miles. to the ride to assure legitimacy.

My last SS1K was 10/2/14. Ferried an ST1300 to Knoxville, for a friend. My last *BBG1500 was 4/?/12. Bought a used SV650S in Yuma, AZ. Rode to somewhere a bit west of St. Louis. I live in MA. Good fortune, R3~ John Charles Ryan, RIP.

• 1 month later...

Well I did it. On June 20th I rode over 1600 kms/1000 miles in from Vancouver to Prince George, BC and home again. The weather was the cold, rainy and foggy for the homeward leg of the ride. My heated vest was on for over 17 hours and kept me warm(ish) throughout.

This was the big test for my Laminar Lip. I had purchased it only a month before and hadn't had a chance to test it on a long ride. The Lip moves the buffeting wind from my upper chest over my shoulders. What an amazing difference. The constant strain of the wind was gone which made the riding more pleasant and less energy sapping. At 6'1" and 230 the bike is pushing enough weight, it didn't need the added effect of my body acting like a sail.

The only other significant change to the bike from stock is a larger (+1) rear sprocket and a Sargent seat. Mileage averaged 37.91 per gallon for the trip. Not bad with a Honda trunk attached.

I travelled with my friend on his Honda shadow ace 1100. This meant that we had to stop more often to fuel him up making the total travel time 20 hours. That and the speeding ticket just outside of Prince George. Nice cop though.

All told a great awesome experience. Am I sore? Yes, in places I haven't hurt before after a ride. Would I do it again? Let me get my helmet, I'll be ready in a minute.

Congrats!

Not the most exciting ride once you get past Lillooet.

That's a long ride.

Well I did it. On June 20th I rode over 1600 kms/1000 miles in from Vancouver to Prince George, BC and home again. The weather was the cold, rainy and foggy for the homeward leg of the ride. My heated vest was on for over 17 hours and kept me warm(ish) throughout.

This was the big test for my Laminar Lip. I had purchased it only a month before and hadn't had a chance to test it on a long ride. The Lip moves the buffeting wind from my upper chest over my shoulders. What an amazing difference. The constant strain of the wind was gone which made the riding more pleasant and less energy sapping. At 6'1" and 230 the bike is pushing enough weight, it didn't need the added effect of my body acting like a sail.

The only other significant change to the bike from stock is a larger (+1) rear sprocket and a Sargent seat. Mileage averaged 37.91 per gallon for the trip. Not bad with a Honda trunk attached.

I travelled with my friend on his Honda shadow ace 1100. This meant that we had to stop more often to fuel him up making the total travel time 20 hours. That and the speeding ticket just outside of Prince George. Nice cop though.

All told a great awesome experience. Am I sore? Yes, in places I haven't hurt before after a ride. Would I do it again? Let me get my helmet, I'll be ready in a minute.

• Member Contributer

20 hours in the saddle is a long time...did you stop to eat? Did you have an MP3 player or a intercom with your pal? Did you enjoy it?

inquiring minds want to know...

We packed our food (gator aid, granola bars, beef jerky) -things we could eat while refuelling. We still took a couple of minutes at every stop (12 of them) to stretch. We have used the Sena smh-5 and smh-5 fm series on all long rides. These are great for planning stops and just talking about what you have seen.

The nice thing about his event was it was sponsored by BMW Ducati on Grandview Hwy in Vancouver. They took care of the paperwork all you had to do was enroll before hand on the Ironbutt Association website and keep receipts from specific towns along the route. When you arrived at the end they checked your odometer (mine is terribly in accurate) and produced your certificate. No waiting for it to arrive in the mail.

The Route: Vancouver (BMW dealership), Hope, Cache Creek, Prince George, McBride, Blue River, Kamloops, Hope and back to the BMW dealership. The total distance according to my more accurate bicycle odometer I have attached to my bike was 1762 kms door to door.

Archived