How Quickly Does Your First One Drop?

Doc4216

• Member Contributer

Hey Guys,

I have had my '06 for just less than a month now and put over 900mi on it. I have filled the tank up a handful of times now and my first bar on my fuel gauge drops extremely quick. I mean within 14-16 miles quick! I usually put about 4.3-4.5 gallons in when I fill up.

I have only filled it on the side stand, though this never mattered on any other of my other bikes. Curious if this is a common 6th gen thing?

Thanks,

Doc

• Member Contributer

Not sure about the 6th gen bikes but I know that I lose the first one or two bars on the fuel gauge on my 2000 VFR very quickly. Bars 3 and 4 mind you take forever to disappear. I usually fill mine when on the center stand, but the first bar seems to disappear within about 20 km's. I think it's because the top portion of the tank is fairly small (volume wise), the middle part is largest, and the lower part of the tank is also relatively small. My guess would be that it is normal, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

• Member Contributer

Hey Guys,

I have had my '06 for just less than a month now and put over 900mi on it. I have filled the tank up a handful of times now and my first bar on my fuel gauge drops extremely quick. I mean within 14-16 miles quick! I usually put about 4.3-4.5 gallons in when I fill up.

I have only filled it on the side stand, though this never mattered on any other of my other bikes. Curious if this is a common 6th gen thing?

Thanks,

Doc

I'll be honest, the thread title got a hearty snort when I read it. But to answer your question, I see the same thing, first bar disappears quick and then they settle down after that.

• Member Contributer

It's not a linear progression. The first bar is the sacrificial lamb. It goes almost immediately. The last bar represents (if my memory serves me correctly) 23% of a tank.

Same here. I fill my bike on the sidestand until it gets to the bottom of the filler neck, and 2 of the 3 times I did so on my trip yesterday, the first bar didn't even appear on the gauge. I thought something was up with the mileage when it got down to the final bar at 180 miles; filled it up and there were just about two gallons left; I think I could have hit 230-240 miles on that particular tank and been OK, but that was freeway droning on flat ground.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

On the side stand i have to fill almost to the top of the filler neck to light up the first bar, goes away within first 15 miles, my sons 5th gen stays cosistantly one bar more pace for pace.

• Member Contributer

1st bar 15 miles'ish, last bar (from solid) 60 miles.

• Member Contributer

Me too and I can never get the tank completely full of gas .

I can get it up to the neck but then I do sit astride the bike whilst refilling.

Its amazing what you learn on this forum.

I just picked up my 2007 VFR and i noticed right there on the first tank that my first bar was gone within seconds of starting up the bike. Heh, pretty cool to see that this is common! Thanks guys!

Like Skids, I always fill up while sitting on the bike, bike upright, I Always TOP it up( so I have a consistent fuel load / range). Some thing has changed in the tank, baffling?, between the '02 and the '07. The '07 is way more difficult to top up. My first bar vanishes around 17-22 miles. Last bar flashes at about 190-195 miles. I have seen 230 miles, with perhaps a tenth of a gallon left. However I rarely push it that far, generally fill up around 215-225 miles, if I know the area. Sooner if not. Except for the track(with the '02) I virtually never less than 38MPG, usually 40ishMPG. This figure is consistent for both bikes. K&N and Staintunes are the only Mods in drivetrain mix.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Me too and I can never get the tank completely full of gas .

I can get it up to the neck but then I do sit astride the bike whilst refilling.

Ah gonna try that this weekend thanks .

• 3 weeks later...

Archived