Will My Stock D222 Tyres Last During A Long Trip?

timm

Hi all!

Yes, I know this is a stupid question. :comp13:

My dilemma is that I have planned to take a longer tour during two weeks in May/June this year. I'll ride from home down to the French south coast and back. I guess this trip will end up to be around 5-6000km.

I bought the bike (new) in September last year and have today almost 2000km on the clock. Season is just starting here now and of course I'll ride a number of km.s before my vacation.

Tyres on the bike now are stock Dunlop D222. Some post here say that stock tyres are gone already at 4-5000km. I'm not really interested to change tyres away from home. Even if they look allright when I start my trip I am a litte worried it will wear down more quickly than I expect.

What do you think? Should I plan for new tyres before my trip?

I only got 3020 miles (I'll let you do the math) out of my stock rear, but I do ride pretty hard. If it were me, I'd go ahead and put on some PR4's before the trip.

• Member Contributer

I helped a fellow rider who rode from Colorado to California to ride the local roads here, change his tires and he had about 3800 miles on them when we did it. They looked decent enough to keep using for a few hundred miles more but he felt better about changing them. We used my tire changer to put on a set of PR4s and he continued onward to hit a few more roads in Central California,

If ever in doubt, change them now and hang on to your stock tires as a back up set, just in case you find funds low when it's time to swap out the next set of tires.

Thanks. I realize that I already knew the answer here.

I'll order and put on a new set of PR4 before I leave and save the 222s. I change tyres myself, so I'll hide away the current ones as spares.

Archived