Quickshifter

DH82A

It may seem an odd question regarding the 1200, but has anyone fitted one?

I want to get one for mine, options appear limited. What would be the recommendation - HM, Translogic, Dyna, Bazazz, or other?

Of all the bikes I've ridden, the VFR1200 has one of the slickest gear shift. Remarkable considering it's a shaftie. I don't think a quick shifter would enhance the road riding experience much better. Track... yes, but the big Veefer isn't a track sort or bike. Not to me, anyway. More power to those who enjoy tracking it.

DH a friend had a Bazzaz on a CBR1000 and loved it. Had to fiddle with the settings a bit, claimed he was able to get it working well at most rpm. I never did get a ride.

I've had the Translogic on 2 bikes and H&M on 7 different bikes. Plug and play install. Love the H&M. Best quickshifter I've ever used. Never installed one on the VFR but, someday.......

I have a bazzaz on a 1000RR, it works fantastic, to be honest the timings were bang on out of the box. As for the VFR, I can't say I'd put a quick shifter on it. Its not a race bike, the transmission clearly does not like to be rushed. You can do it, but I'd probably look at other upgrades first

DH a friend had a Bazzaz on a CBR1000 and loved it. Had to fiddle with the settings a bit, claimed he was able to get it working well at most rpm. I never did get a ride.

• 2 months later...

I'm fitting an HM GP shifter. I had to make my own shift rod, but the current problem is a suitable wiring loom to fit the plug tops. Their normal ones are for in-line 4s and no good at all. I sent them a drawing of the required size for the VFR1200 and they made one for me, but somehow they'd basically ignored my dimensions, so again, no good at all. They are now making another. I hope this time they follow my drawing.

The problem is the distance between the cylinders. It's not like any other bike and I think they just thought I was wrong in what I was asking. I would guess that any other ignition based QS will have the same problem in that they don't currently have a suitable loom.

Once HM have finished mine and I check it and confirm it's correct, I'm guessing they could then easily supply a kit to suit the VFR1200. I don't think it would have to be the GP one as I would imagine all their QSs use the same loom.

I'm expecting the replacement loom any day now. I'll post back here when I know it's correct and you should then be able to order everything from them.

• 1 year later...

Can you help me, if the ignition cutter type QS, like Healtech, can work well on my stock gen6. 2006 VFR800 bike?

Or the catalizator would suffer from the unburned petrol during up-shifting?

Or injection cutter QS would be better?

In general, riding in touring mode with passenger 3500-6000RPM, this kind of shifting process can smoother the torque pulsing?

How the gears can accept it w/o clutch in long time?

Some riders shift up simply w/o clutch and closing throttle. Is it healthy for the gearbox?

I also tried it, but 3-->4 was difficult. Or was I slow or RPM was not enough?

16 hours ago, Redbike said:

Can you help me, if the ignition cutter type QS, like Healtech, can work well on my stock gen6. 2006 VFR800 bike?

In general, riding in touring mode with passenger 3500-6000RPM, this kind of shifting process can smoother the torque pulsing?

Some riders shift up simply w/o clutch and closing throttle. Is it healthy for the gearbox?

Clutchless shifts are perfectly fine... as long as you do it right.  Done properly, cutting throttle unloads the gearbox pretty much the same way as pulling the clutch.

However... it really sounds like you need to work on your clutch skills.  If you are jerking the bike and banging helmets with your passenger, clutchless shifts probably isn't going to help you much.  Might even make things worse.  If you use the clutch properly, upshifts should be imperceptible to your passenger.  I would focus on perfecting that, rather than trying bandaid fixes.

Quickshifters are primarily meant for full-throttle near-redline upshifts.  At the track is where it is most useful.  I can see some benefit for those who like to ride balls out on public roads, but for general street riding and short shifting... nope.

Not so critical...knocking the helmets, but by Clutchless-throttle off shifting makes it smoother.

I thought some QS could be more professional.....and I like the GP Hondas how smooth they are speeding out from a corner:)

Of course with QS my VFR would never be the Repsol bike and I would like to do it moderate dynamic.

But I have problems with the http://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/qse/

How the catalizator will suffer when getting some unburned petrol in the ignition cup gear up 100ms???

A local dealer sad, Yes would be better their self brand and cutting injection instead.

But they have only a simpler, constant cutter system. They will set it to the bike on the pad, but now RPM wise like Healtech.

And they could not set the lever force limit either.

Since they are not so cheap,  and I would shift up 3000-6000RPM, I would prefer some adjustable controller like Healtech.

15 hours ago, lshark said:
On 6/8/2016 at 5:03 PM, Redbike said:

Being that the 6th gen VFR800 uses automotive style 3 wire COP, instead of the mainstream 2 wire set up that almost all other bikes go with, you might not be able to get any ignition sort of ignition cut quick shifter for the 6th gen. If you could though, the Catalytic converter would be fine, as you are only talking about an ignition cut of 60 milliseconds. This is totally fine for sequential gear boxes like the VFR's, if it wasn't, Honda would not be currently offering a Quickshifter for the 2015 VFR800. You need to work on your technique, as the 3-4 up shift should be easy.

23 hours ago, Volfy said:

Clutchless shifts are perfectly fine... as long as you do it right.  Done properly, cutting throttle unloads the gearbox pretty much the same way as pulling the clutch.

However... it really sounds like you need to work on your clutch skills.  If you are jerking the bike and banging helmets with your passenger, clutchless shifts probably isn't going to help you much.  Might even make things worse.  If you use the clutch properly, upshifts should be imperceptible to your passenger.  I would focus on perfecting that, rather than trying bandaid fixes.

Quickshifters are primarily meant for full-throttle near-redline upshifts.  At the track is where it is most useful.  I can see some benefit for those who like to ride balls out on public roads, but for general street riding and short shifting... nope.

I have a Rapid bike quickshifter on my VFR800 and it works great around town at low throttle and low rpm shifts as well as WOT Redline shifts. The 1-2 shift is a little strong, so I usually reserve that for WOT, but the 2-3 and above shifts are butter smooth everywhere.

the Honda GP bikes use some top secret "seamless transmission"

Not so secret

7 hours ago, Mohawk said:

the Honda GP bikes use some top secret "seamless transmission"

Mohawk is that the correct link?

• Member Contributer

There is a company that makes igition coil pickup QS rather than plug tops, but I can't recall who. You could adapt any any stand alone plug top QS to any bike just by tapping into the coil feed harness, just buy a spare & modify it.

Yeah thats possible too, but probably beyond the scope of what he's after, especially since, I doubt there is much perceivable difference in the feel of fuel cut versus spark cut. I think some of the more advanced ignition cut  quick shifters might retard the timing into the ignition cut and slowly advance back into it, but I don't know if any of the major brands avaliable to the public at a reasonable price offer that. 

There is one major advantage to spark cut, though... You get that amazing sound, pop and flames lol. :wheel: 

Healtech offers this ignition cutter interruption time-RPM adjustable system also for VFR800.

That nice flame from the mufflers and pop, wouldn't mean long lift for the catalytic converter. That 60ms, I would repeat 100x on an afternoon ride, can make trouble.

Not speaking about the petrol when washing the engine oil from the cylinder in those interruptions-->contamination the oil and increase friction of the piston.

I spoke to their local dealer, who first offered this QS for my stock VFR, but when asking about this possible issue with the catalytic converter, the dealer preferred their home made injection cutter device instead.

But its weakness:non RPM adjustable, so they could set its interruption to one engine speed:(

• Member Contributer

Regardless of the bike the tech is the same, there are 3 types, 1. Just ignition, 2. Just fuel & 3. Ignition & fuel. Number 2 is the simplest & comes ready to use on PowerCommaders. Number 1 is most standalone bolt on quick shifters. Number 3 is available on OEM controls & some add-on fuel/ignition controllers.

The gear or rpm adjustability is not really of much concern for road use, setting the cut off time too short will not do your engine much good, too long & the power cut will be notice as a jerky change, so once fitted, tune it to your needs, if jerky as in you feel the power loss & come back after the gear change, then shorten the timeout, if gears crunch then lengthen it. Then be consistent in your gear changing.

YMMV 

• Member Contributer

I believe PCV has an additional ignition module, it already has built in fuel cut, which works fine.

Rapid Bike Racing module does both. 

I think Bazzaz & another (can't recall the name off hand) also do same.

Archived