Vfrness And Stator Opinions Please

• Member Contributer

Park the bike immediately. Voltage is way too high. You need an R/R minimum, but I would check the stator AC voltage on each leg too. (A to B, B to C, and C to A)

BTW - 16 volts is too high too.

• Member Contributer

100% agreed with mello dude there.

You should never see above 15v while charging. A high voltage situation is usually a faulty regulator (as mentioned), but 100% do your stator checks. Check AC voltage between the legs, as well as continuity to ground (you should have none).

7 hours ago, mello dude said:

Park the bike immediately. Voltage is way too high. You need an R/R minimum, but I would check the stator AC voltage on each leg too. (A to B, B to C, and C to A)

BTW - 16 volts is too high too.

I thought that was too high. I didn't park it today (way too nice out), but I did get that rotten egg smell of an overcharged battery when I got home. 

The R/R needs to be replaced. Any suggestions? 

• Member Contributer

Then you will not find a quality unit. The only MOSFET based plug and play option is a Ricks Hotshot Rectifier, which people have reported failing after 30-40k miles (not much of an improvement, if any).

It's very easy to install the kit, and it's pretty much the defacto replacement.

Kit to buy: The Super Mosfet Kit FH020AA - there are other options there but I personally prefer the FH units over the SH ones. 

How to install: http://www.roadstercycle.com/Easy Mosfet Install.htm

• Member Contributer

I've settled on putting my FP's massive SH847 under the rear tail unit.  Not so much because it necessarily requires the airflow, but because there's nowhere else it will fit!

20160926_085307x.jpg

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Has anybody actually fitted a SH847 in the stocker 5th gen spot? I made up a wood block to size 4 3/4  x 4 3/4  x 1 1/2 inches to check it out. Huge. Its looking like a no go....

:beer:

This  MOSFET device looks like it requires major rearranging of seats, systems, maybe even adding a tail rack just to install it. Not my idea of a day well spent in the garage.

• Member Contributer
27 minutes ago, bobbyn said:

This  MOSFET device looks like it requires major rearranging of seats, systems, maybe even adding a tail rack just to install it. Not my idea of a day well spent in the garage.

That is a SH device pictured, which is a Shunt style, not MOSFET. I suggested the FH020AA, which is smaller, and MOSFET based.

FH012AA_Dimensions.gif

Glad you're back on the road; hope your direct replacement lasts longer than others have reported. Worst case, you know for next time.

• Member Contributer

To clarify on the R/Rs both the FH012AA and FH020AA are both MOSFET  R/Rs --- the other we are referring to the SH847 and SH775 are series style R/Rs, with the 847 being a new model at 50amps and kinda large. 

The FH020 AA is near OEM size and with fit in most stock locations. Plenty of guys have used this one and it is reliable. 

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, bobbyn said:

Better a day spent in the garage than on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck! I was almost stranded the day my Stator/RR failure. To add insult to injury, the two main motorcycle tow services were either too busy or not is service that day. What started out as a lunch with some friends turned into a whole day of running back and forth to the Honda dealer to get a new battery to at least get me going. 

...and then the battery burst into flames... I'd rather spend a day in the garage then have my balls blown off and then crash and burn into a smouldering heap.

There's a jocular tone to my statement but it's simultaneously deadly serious. Rotten eggs to fried eggs, a poofteenth away...

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Auspanglish said:

I'd rather spend a day in the garage then have my balls blown off and then crash and burn into a smouldering heap.

Really?! I thought it was better to go out in a blaze of glory.

Archived