Wiring Diagram

fotodadi

• Member Contributer

Hi all,

Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the 2014 on VFR800?

I am looking at the next project for my 7 Gen 1200FD being self cancelling blinkers. I I am looking at implementing the 2014 800 stock equipment to my bike.

I noticed that the blinker switches appear similar and a scan through the parts diagram shows a relay that does the trick. I figure that the cancel signal is coming from a "distance measurement" the relay does and so there might be an input from the Vehicle Speed Sensor output.

Anyone can help with the diagram to confirm all my theories and get me started on this project?

Hi Fotodadi!

Interesting project!

On the 800 with self cancelling blinkers there is a special box that acts as blink-relay. It is located behind the upper front fairing. On the 800 without this facility, there is an ordinary relay located somewhere under the rear seat.

The "bliker box" reads signals from the blink switch and speed from the front and rear wheel. The speed signals are taken from the ABS unit. The auto box also needs battery12V and ignition12V. It's output are four signals; one to each blinker lamp.

Noteworthy is that it also has an input for blinker cancel. I guess this is a small contact that is activated when you push in the blinker switch, i.e. when you stop the blinking manually. This switch is not on the schematic for bikes without self cancelling blinkers.

• Member Contributer

Awesome information Timm!

All your suggestions are noted...perhaps I will look at getting the self cancel switch too....will study this bit more and decide.

Will update as I make progress. Thanks Timm

No worries, Fotodadi.

Sounds like a fun project!

I think the purpose of the cancel switch is this:

If one blink to the right, make the turn and the blinker is autmatically turned off, the blink switch on the handlebar is still in the right position. That is: if you blink again to the right, there is no "click feeling" in the button. To me that indicates there is only electric contact in the switch as long as you are holding it to the right (or left), otherwise you won't be able to blink again.

So if you want to manually turn your blinker off, you push the switch (as on any bike), there must be a special signal telling the magic blinker box that you want to cancel you blinker. That's the cancel switch!

On any other bike, I believe there is electric contact (left or right) as long as the blink switch is in any position but center.

Might be worth checking out. :)

The switch works like every other motorcycle signal switch. Push left or right to activate signal and it spring returns to center (called a momentary switch). Push in to cancel.

Yes, you use the bliker as on any bike (strange bmw.s excepted...).

On a "normal" bike without Honda's automatic blinker cancel device the blinker switch cannot be of momentary type since it keeps on blinking until you toggle the switch off by pushing it in.

(The switch' lever is centered by a spring but there is still electrical contact as long as the blinker is on.)

~

But the "turn signal cancel" is a switch on the schematic, drawn in form of a push button, located on the left handlebar. It is directly connected to the blinker box, pin18 and is there named "set sw". Since you can actually turn on the blink to either side several times without "reseting" the blink switch, this "turn signal cancel" signal is most likely active at some point. Probably momentary when you move the switch' lever to left or right. I think a multimeter will tell us how exactly it works. :wink:

My point is that I guess you have to do something with the blinker switch as well, if you mount the self cancelling blinker box on a bike that normally does not have this function.

The switches:

The magic blinker box:

Continuity:

• 1 year later...

Archived