HoganLongfellow

• Member Contributer

Whats up guys! Newb question here, I figured I'd ask now before i ruin a fairing haha

I picked up a Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor which i installed in my dash; this specific monitor comes with a micro processor- -my question is does anyone know if that processor gets hot? Too hot to mount to the back of a fairing?

post-25407-0-13132300-1425153951.jpg

If you look at the pic below you can see that I mounted it kinda above my radiator cap (not directly, its off to the side a bit - you get the idea). Its taped to the backside of the fairing - you can see the two wire covers that kinda merge right next to the fuse box, that is where the processor is mounted..

I just stuck it there for a test fit, but I started thinking if that thing gets hot it could potentially ruin the paint. Since I know these fairings are worth an arm-n-a-leg; and mine are in decent shape I definitely don't wanna ruin them. The processor actually has heat-sinks on the side, but I don't know just how hot it really gets.

post-25407-0-73167900-1425153765.jpg

I was actually a super-easy install, and it looks pretty good if ya ask me! Sorry for the horrible pic, I'll include a good one in a bit.

post-25407-0-67625000-1425153986.jpg

Thanks for any input!!!!!!!!

• Member Contributer

Considering how hot the coolant gets and how close it is to the plastic, it's doubtful an electronics component will get hot enough to damage the fairing. Sixth gens have had many failures where the wiring under the side panel has gotten hot enough to melt the connector but I've never heard of it damaging the plastics. IMO it should be fine.

• Member Contributer

Cool thank you. I've had it on for about 10 mins and it's not hot at all, and where it's mounted it looks like it'll get decent air flow. I may get some heat tape and put it between the processor and the plastic as extra insurance. thanks!

• Member Contributer

I have the SDC unit taoed to the inside of my 4th gen with no ill effect.

• Member Contributer

thank you sir!

it turned out great! I was apprehensive to drill a hole in anything unless absolutely necessary, so luckily it fit perfectly behind the upper fairing cover without drilling a thing. Its REALLY bright, don't have to worry about not seeing this thing lol.

post-25407-0-09850700-1425234464.png

quick video of the starting sequence so you can see how bright it is.

Archived