2015 Bluetooth Intercom Options

Q-Dawg

• Member Contributer

Still using the SMH10R. Great little unit, minimal design. Until they have something that is a clear step better no desire to change anything. I would love an app on the phone to control it and better speakers but I'm sure both will come in time.

There are aftermarket helmet speakers available that would improve quality and volume...provided you can fit them. I've considered them, as well as earbuds, as a solution to the 20S volume issue. No perfect answer.

Some of the best reviews of helmet Comm systems and accessories, including speakers is here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Well the Upcoming Sena 10C looks promising with the built in camera integration, but I think I will go for the 20S for a couple reasons:

- talked to some dealers selling the Sena and there have been some recent updates again. Might be too early to say, but the latch issue might have improved.

- other folks we ride with use the Sena sets and like them. As with anything, there are exceptions, but most reports tend to favor Sena as having the better customer service when things go wrong. (important)

- that nifty handlebar remote Axel_7 posted up with the 10U will apparently work with the 20S also.

- camera feature of the upcoming 10C was not something i wanted to wait for. The 10C will have less range. I am into R/C quads also, so standalone action cam can pull double duty for aerial photo / video.

- it simply has the features I was looking for. But every product I considered had SOMETHING I didn't like. In the end, it was about picking the "best of the worst"

- Because of some of the bad experiences since roll-out, and hitting a good winter sale, the Sena 20S was priced considerably better than some of its competition

I would have thought by 2014 and 2015 we would have slightly better products. My prediction: Whoever makes the first flawless "do everything, talk to everyone" comm system will make a boat load of cash. There is a need.

Found the best deal anywhere I looked at Kanata Honda

Still using the SMH10R. Great little unit, minimal design. Until they have something that is a clear step better no desire to change anything. I would love an app on the phone to control it and better speakers but I'm sure both will come in time.

There are aftermarket helmet speakers available that would improve quality and volume...provided you can fit them. I've considered them, as well as earbuds, as a solution to the 20S volume issue. No perfect answer.

Some of the best reviews of helmet Comm systems and accessories, including speakers is here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/

I have heard good success with a couple approaches. Some guys on other forums are gutting over-the ear headphones and using the speakers with a little bit of work, or buying replacement part speakers for these types of headphones. It is cheap and works well, but you need to find something with good sound quality which has a low enough profile inside the helmet.

Another option I have heard offers pretty good sound quality is to upgrade to speakers from these guys:

http://www.torkworld.com/helmet-speakers/xpro-helmet-speaker.html?gclid=CLvYyb35hMQCFYQ8aQodc4gABg

I have tried Scalas and never had any luck with them. Their customer service is horrible, so bad that if they were the only communicator on the planet I would prefer not to have one than a Scala!

I totally agree with the Scala customer service. Friggin horrible.

• Member Contributer

Well the Upcoming Sena 10C looks promising with the built in camera integration, but I think I will go for the 20S for a couple reasons:

- talked to some dealers selling the Sena and there have been some recent updates again. Might be too early to say, but the latch issue might have improved.

- other folks we ride with use the Sena sets and like them. As with anything, there are exceptions, but most reports tend to favor Sena as having the better customer service when things go wrong. (important)

- that nifty handlebar remote Axel_7 posted up with the 10U will apparently work with the 20S also.

- camera feature of the upcoming 10C was not something i wanted to wait for. The 10C will have less range. I am into R/C quads also, so standalone action cam can pull double duty for aerial photo / video.

- it simply has the features I was looking for. But every product I considered had SOMETHING I didn't like. In the end, it was about picking the "best of the worst"

- Because of some of the bad experiences since roll-out, and hitting a good winter sale, the Sena 20S was priced considerably better than some of its competition

I would have thought by 2014 and 2015 we would have slightly better products. My prediction: Whoever makes the first flawless "do everything, talk to everyone" comm system will make a boat load of cash. There is a need.

Found the best deal anywhere I looked at Kanata Honda

I have heard good success with a couple approaches. Some guys on other forums are gutting over-the ear headphones and using the speakers with a little bit of work, or buying replacement part speakers for these types of headphones. It is cheap and works well, but you need to find something with good sound quality which has a low enough profile inside the helmet.

Another option I have heard offers pretty good sound quality is to upgrade to speakers from these guys:

http://www.torkworld.com/helmet-speakers/xpro-helmet-speaker.html?gclid=CLvYyb35hMQCFYQ8aQodc4gABg

These are not loud enough for me.

• Member Contributer

Helmet speakers have never worked for me. They're either too quiet, are uncomfortable or don't fit right (with the same results). I've been tackling the helmet/tunes problem almost as long as I've owned VFRs, and I have a box full of sorry attempts to show for it. Now I use sound isolating earbuds. They work well as earplugs (which are essential to protect your hearing anyway) and because they are earphones you never have to blast the volume to get past your earplugs. The only problem is that they can make it a hassle to don/remove the helmet. But you get used to it...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Helmet speakers have never worked for me. They're either too quiet, are uncomfortable or don't fit right (with the same results). I've been tackling the helmet/tunes problem almost as long as I've owned VFRs, and I have a box full of sorry attempts to show for it. Now I use sound isolating earbuds. They work well as earplugs (which are essential to protect your hearing anyway) and because they are earphones you never have to blast the volume to get past your earplugs. The only problem is that they can make it a hassle to don/remove the helmet. But you get used to it...

Pretty much my conclusion as well. Louder speakers are the brute force solution, to be sure. Of course, there are myriad options for earphones, but I'm looking at the custom molded variety. I've tried using the three standard sound isolating types I have now but they either interfere when donning the helmet, or get uncomfortable after a few hours. Turns out most local audiologists have a thriving business making custom molded earphones and plugs, which seems a better route than the on-line kits or services.

The 20S has an auxiliary port for earphones, so that makes it easy to connect them. Not sure you could do it with gloves on though. It also has an external microphone which can be activated by pushing a button on the unit and allows you to hear external sounds, like conversations, through the speakers/earphones without taking off your helmet.

• Member Contributer

I figured I would chime in on this, in my experience helmet speakers are horrible by themselves, if you have an amplifier to drive them they can sound ok. I have tried many different types and have come to the conclusion that if I want to hear the music/talking then earbuds are the way to go. Sticking to the topic I just ordered the Scala Rider Q3 multi-set a co-worker has this unit and I trust his judgement more than mine in these matters.... I work for a Sound Company and work with "Audio Geeks" The pluses that work for me with this unit are that I am told it sounds great on both ends using the phone interface, easy to work with the voice prompts, and good battery life, able to plug my iPod in, my passenger can hear what I am listening to (so when I am dancing on the seat She will have a better understanding :unsure: , waterproof and price point. My main use will be passenger communication The other units I have used ave been less then adequate, although it is hilarious when the intercom was live and you are telling the person on the other end what to say when he is talking to a nice looking Oregon gas station attendant is priceless..... I will update after I get the new units and run them through there paces

I have the Scala Q3 multi set and couldn't be more disappointed. I've had nothing but trouble. The units have trouble staying paired to whatever Bluetooth they are connected to. Half the time, say I'm listening to music from my phone and I say something inside my helmet, the VOX opens, like it's supposed to and kills the music, but it will never close again. I have to turn off everything, restart and re-pair the units. So far been unsuccessful in being able to use it as an intercom with other Scala units. It just won't pair. Customer service has been of no help. They've blamed the phone, the Bluetooth on the bike, the other Scala unit I tried to pair to. They finally did issue me an authorization to send only one of the headsets back. Haven't had a chance to send it back yet.

• Member Contributer

is this what looks better & Better.... :wink: If so I have a set I would let go for postage or a :beer:

Chatter Box GMRS X1$_12.JPG

• Member Contributer

I figured I would chime in on this, in my experience helmet speakers are horrible by themselves, if you have an amplifier to drive them they can sound ok. I have tried many different types and have come to the conclusion that if I want to hear the music/talking then earbuds are the way to go. Sticking to the topic I just ordered the Scala Rider Q3 multi-set a co-worker has this unit and I trust his judgement more than mine in these matters.... I work for a Sound Company and work with "Audio Geeks" The pluses that work for me with this unit are that I am told it sounds great on both ends using the phone interface, easy to work with the voice prompts, and good battery life, able to plug my iPod in, my passenger can hear what I am listening to (so when I am dancing on the seat She will have a better understanding :unsure: , waterproof and price point. My main use will be passenger communication The other units I have used ave been less then adequate, although it is hilarious when the intercom was live and you are telling the person on the other end what to say when he is talking to a nice looking Oregon gas station attendant is priceless..... I will update after I get the new units and run them through there paces

Totally agreed. I only shopped com systems that had the option of using external earbud option.

I ride with Shure 215 (have 425 also - crazy clear vocals but not balanced with enough bass) and couldnt be happier. The over the ear pull that these and Westone use are super comfortable and are tougher to pull out when putting your helmet on. And they have large body but it is flat and sits perfectly in the center of the ear. Comfortable to sleep in, so all day in the helmet doesnt bother me with these.

I ride with earplugs 100% of the time to protect my hearing, so sound isolating earbuds were really the only decent option to have some quality audio. This allows me to listen at moderate volume, which is plenty clear to hear what is around me. No different than listening to the radio in my car.

• Member Contributer

Totally agreed. I only shopped com systems that had the option of using external earbud option.

I ride with Shure 215 (have 425 also - crazy clear vocals but not balanced with enough bass) and couldnt be happier. The over the ear pull that these and Westone use are super comfortable and are tougher to pull out when putting your helmet on. And they have large body but it is flat and sits perfectly in the center of the ear. Comfortable to sleep in, so all day in the helmet doesnt bother me with these.

I ride with earplugs 100% of the time to protect my hearing, so sound isolating earbuds were really the only decent option to have some quality audio. This allows me to listen at moderate volume, which is plenty clear to hear what is around me. No different than listening to the radio in my car.

Did you already pull the plug on ordering the 20S?

• Member Contributer

Still using a chatterbox. I upgraded to the x1 slims after using a couple of the x1bt's. The music is a little quiet, but I ride w/ earplugs in and can rock along at freeway speeds with a noisy helmet shape (Icon Variant) and the stock speakers it came with. Usually 9/10 is best as the sound gets distorted at 10/10. I've actually run bone conduction speakers with one as well, just because I wanted too. They're still installed in my spare helmet (used to be primary). Weird experience in some ways, they definitely work better while wearing earplugs.

Chatterbox seems to have the easiest time working in larger groups, though, I don't really ride in groups, so. . . might be interested in somethind different if it ever died. Oh yeah, battery life is great, no issues with the tropical Florida rain.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Yes. Just unboxed yesterday but have not pulled packaging apart or used it yet. Why do you ask?

• Member Contributer

I have the Uclear boomless bluetooth HBC 100:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/uclear-hbc-100/

Works very well to me...the new one should work with other Blue -tooth intercoms...

• Member Contributer

Yes. Just unboxed yesterday but have not pulled packaging apart or used it yet. Why do you ask?

Just curious if any of the opinions had swayed you. I'm considering a set, so I'd be interested to know if your new purchase shows improved hardware/software.

• Member Contributer

I received my Q3's and I am impressed with the units quality! In the little tests I have done it works well playing music through it and using the phone through it. I have not had a chance to play with the intercom yet. I have a feeling that it will sound as good as the phone due to being the same procedure.

• Member Contributer

I have been researching those things as well. I am looking at Sena 20s, F5MC, Scala rider G9x or Q3

From a functionality perspective, all the current sets have a similar set (in no particular order) of basic features:

- intercom

- FM

- music streaming

- GPS directions

- phone calls

The differences I can see are about range, number of people you can talk to at the same time, inter-operability with other brands, and ease of use.

From my personal set of requirements, I want to be able to listen to radio or music, while listening to GPS directions (from my phone app like Waze), answering the occasional phone call and talking to my passenger if I have one on-board.

All the communicators I listed can do this, but it seems that in both the F5MC and Scala Rider units, if my radio or music stream is interrupted by a intercom discussion or phone call, or maybe even GPS directions, I will have to re-establish the music stream once I'm done talking. This may involve multiple voice commands, or multiple button presses.

It appears (from reading the user guides) that only Sena supports auto-resume of previous music stream, or even having the music in background.

Is that correct, or do the other units have a similar function, but maybe not well documented?

I was leaning heavily towards F5MC due to quality concerns with Sena and customer service concerns with Cardo - but this one usability difference could very well change my decision. And frankly, I'd rather be sure of what I buy before plunking down ~$400 for a 2-pack of communicators that are not returnable once you've opened them.

Edit: forgot to add that another big plus for the F5MC was that they offer a speaker upgrade that was very tempting and got good reviews.

Any experiences from current users?

TIA

• Member Contributer

I have tried Scalas and never had any luck with them. Their customer service is horrible, so bad that if they were the only communicator on the planet I would prefer not to have one than a Scala!

I totally agree with the Scala customer service. Friggin horrible.
Can't say I have had bad experience. On the way from Toronto to BC through Calgary my G9 unit died. No pairing, no sound - dead. I stopped at Blackfoot Cycle in Calgary thinking I would have to replace the unit which was coming up on a year old. They got Scala on the phone for me and I explained the situation. They told me to hand the phone back to the Blackfoot counter guy who after speaking to them reached under the counter and pulled a brand new G9 unit out and took the broken one back to send to Scala. Switched out the units right there and was on my way. Nothing bad to say about Scala from me.

Sent from my cerebellum using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I have been researching those things as well. I am looking at Sena 20s, F5MC, Scala rider G9x or Q3

From a functionality perspective, all the current sets have a similar set (in no particular order) of basic features:

- intercom

- FM

- music streaming

- GPS directions

- phone calls

The differences I can see are about range, number of people you can talk to at the same time, inter-operability with other brands, and ease of use.

From my personal set of requirements, I want to be able to listen to radio or music, while listening to GPS directions (from my phone app like Waze), answering the occasional phone call and talking to my passenger if I have one on-board.

All the communicators I listed can do this, but it seems that in both the F5MC and Scala Rider units, if my radio or music stream is interrupted by a intercom discussion or phone call, or maybe even GPS directions, I will have to re-establish the music stream once I'm done talking. This may involve multiple voice commands, or multiple button presses.

It appears (from reading the user guides) that only Sena supports auto-resume of previous music stream, or even having the music in background.

Is that correct, or do the other units have a similar function, but maybe not well documented?

I was leaning heavily towards F5MC due to quality concerns with Sena and customer service concerns with Cardo - but this one usability difference could very well change my decision. And frankly, I'd rather be sure of what I buy before plunking down ~$400 for a 2-pack of communicators that are not returnable once you've opened them.

Edit: forgot to add that another big plus for the F5MC was that they offer a speaker upgrade that was very tempting and got good reviews.

TIA

I don't use a GPS, but I can confirm that if I receive a call on my F5MC while streaming music from my iPhone the music resumes right where it left off after the call. Pretty sweet. Also the person I'm talking to has no idea I'm on a bike I.e. no background noise at all.

• Member Contributer

- intercom

- FM

- music streaming

- GPS directions

- phone calls

TIA

I don't use a GPS, but I can confirm that if I receive a call on my F5MC while streaming music from my iPhone the music resumes right where it left off after the call. Pretty sweet. Also the person I'm talking to has no idea I'm on a bike I.e. no background noise at all.

Same with my Scala and Schuberth (made by Cardo) units. The Schuberth system is a bit quieter with the C3 Helmet. Although I think the stop and starting of the music is a feature of the iPhone. It'll do the same thing if playing it via a USB connection in a car, or for that matter even the analog headphone output.

Archived