2015 Bluetooth Intercom Options

Q-Dawg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Awesome, thank you! What about if you initiate an intercom discussion - same thing? It resumes music after you terminate the discussion? And if you're listening to FM radio?

If resuming the stream is an artifact of the iPhone, that's fine, but what about the communication device itself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me with my C-boxes? Yes. Listening to music...intercom discussion between me and a passenger, we stop talking, music slowly fades back in. The C-boxes I have (X1) are older, so no FM radio.

And just to be clear, they do this with an iphone or an older click wheel ipod too: music drops out for intercom and speaking to other bikes, then music fades back in. All automtically.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the infor wgregt, but I was hoping that someone with a F5 or Cardo would chime in about that topic. :)

So far the Sena wins on functionality but loses on reliability/quality and form factor (I really don't like the mounting solution)

The F5MC wins on form factor/quality reports but may be losing on functionality.

The Cardo/Scala is kind of in between.

As an aside, I was at my dealership over the weekend picking up some stuff, and actually asked the parts guy his opinion on all of these new communicators. I explained that there are of choices and a lot of ones that get close, but no one has really nailed it with everything yet. I asked him which one he would buy. He asked me what I have, and I said "an ancient Chatterbox X1 made before you were born probably." He knew it, and said "To be honest, I'd keep that one. There are a few new releases coming out the end of the summer I have heard about, but none with the range of your X1."

Yes, I laughed. The X1 is huge compared to a lot of the other units, and has a few other issues to keep it in the running.

So, maybe there is some new stuff on the horizon that will check all the boxes?

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Yes. Just unboxed yesterday but have not pulled packaging apart or used it yet. Why do you ask?

Bump for an update, I'm curious if all of your research paid off. Like em? Hate em? Any surprises?

If you are price conscious, I would recommend the SENA SMH5-FM. It comes with FM radio obviously and the same headphones that come with the SMH10. It also had a few more features than listed because of firmware updates.

• Member Contributer

Although I think the stop and starting of the music is a feature of the iPhone. It'll do the same thing if playing it via a USB connection in a car, or for that matter even the analog headphone output.

It is a phone feature; my HTC One M8 running Android does exactly the same.

Man you guys are all high rollers!!

I've wanted to get something like this for a while now but could never justify spending anything over $100 on a system.

Has anybody had any luck with something less than $100 or is it not even worth it at that pricepoint? Don't think I would use it for calls very much, maybe occasional bike to bike and GPS from phone use.

I use the standard SMH5. Use for rider to passenger and backroad music/phone calls/texts.

It works fine all the time. No hiccups.

The speakers suck for music low end. Pretty sure they all will suck but some may suck less then others. I think quality ear buds would be a monster help but there is no connection for them. I have some shure isolating buds for stage monitors. Shame I cant try them.

SMH5 dual set is cheap to buy.

• 2 months later...

I bought a 3s-w, fits OK in my shoei, because I've got small ears :). The 10u looks good, but 3x the price. I had a wired intercom before, that had a few issues. The 3s talks to my Zumo fine, which talks to my iphone. Sounds OK. No FM radio, but zumo controls the pandora app on my phone.

One simple solution to wind/bike noise making sound difficult is earplugs. Sound wrong, but it sometimes cuts out the crap noise and leaves the music/intercom sounding better.

• Member Contributer

I've wanted to get something like this for a while now but could never justify spending anything over $100 on a system.

Has anybody had any luck with something less than $100 or is it not even worth it at that pricepoint? Don't think I would use it for calls very much, maybe occasional bike to bike and GPS from phone use.

Here's your answer...http://www.cabelas.com/product/UCLEAR-HBC100-Communicator/1787101.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Duclear%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=uclear

The Uclear HBC-100 is an intercom with boomless mic so I use it with a flip up...works great, has paired with all my cell phones, has good battery life, plays music loud...see thereviews at webbikeworld: HERE

It is not a Sena, but I like it and it was affordable, rugged, waterproof, easy to charge and use with gloves (relatively).

Matt

• 6 months later...

Here's your answer...http://www.cabelas.com/product/UCLEAR-HBC100-Communicator/1787101.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Duclear%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=uclear

The Uclear HBC-100 is an intercom with boomless mic so I use it with a flip up...works great, has paired with all my cell phones, has good battery life, plays music loud...see thereviews at webbikeworld: HERE

It is not a Sena, but I like it and it was affordable, rugged, waterproof, easy to charge and use with gloves (relatively).

Matt

I have a Uclear as well and am really happy with it.

• Member Contributer

I know, a little late to the conversation............

I bought the 20S on black friday for just under $200 and it has served me well. The voice commands don't work so well, but I don't really use them. If a phone call comes in, and I answer, it will pause my music until the call is over, then continue. Everyone I talk to says it sounds like I'm in my living room, when I'm going down the freeway! Never had a bluetooth problem, or any glitches. The only thing I don't like is the sound quality is not as good as a phone or Ipod by itself. The really deep low notes are missing.

I always rode with earplugs, so now I use my Klipsch in-ear headphones, but I took off the silicone plugs and poke a hole in a set of earplugs and slip them over the tip of the Klipsch in-ear headphones. The silicone would make my inside ear sweat, and it sounded weird. The modified earplugs last a few rides as long as you keep them clean. I buy the 100 pack at home depot, but someday will get the custom molded versions if they have a material that won't make my ear sweat. The low frequencies are insane on the headphones, but with the Sena, the low end is lacking..........not horrible, but brings them to around good earbud level. The volume on full is almost too much to handle, so no issue there, and I can just hear my bike enough to know if there may be something wrong. Also, the ambient mode button is great when talking to people without taking off your helmet/earplugs/headphones.........hope this helps.........

Archived